Fall Camp

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Fall Camp

Post by azcat49 »

Players report today for pictures and pads. news should be coming fast and furious. Maybe we can use this thread for all things fall camp related. I think we surprise a bunch of people this year. We will be fast, very fast on offense and I think the defense will be improved once again
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Re: Fall Camp

Post by azgreg »

UA football releases camp schedule, won't practice at Fort Huachuca

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /13174337/
TUCSON -- The Arizona Wildcats released their camp schedule, and the absence of a practice at Fort Huachuca is the most notable change.

UA typically has held a few days worth of practice at the Army installation and worked on team bonding while escaping the Tucson heat. This year, coach Rich Rodriguez will take the Wildcats there again — they just won't practice there. UA will travel to Fort Huachuca on Saturday, Aug. 16, after a morning practice in Tucson.

The team will have dinner with the soldiers and stay on the installation overnight. UA will then have breakfast with the soldiers the following morning and head back to Tucson for media day in the afternoon.

Rodriguez said last year he enjoyed the team's annual trip to Fort Huachuca, but mostly for the team bonding and the interaction with the soldiers. With UA's new Lowell-Stevens Football Facility, there's less of a need for the Wildcats to take their act on the road during camp. With the new facility, two practice fields and a turf field at Arizona Stadium, Rodriguez and the Wildcats have a convenient setup on campus.

Of the time with the soldiers, Rodriguez said last year: "A lot of those guys are about the same age as my players, so it's really a good interaction there."

The Wildcats will open camp Saturday, Aug. 2, with an evening practice. The team's first two-a-day session is Aug. 7. The final camp practice is set for Aug. 22.

One highlight of the team's annual trip to Fort Huachuca was an open practice to the fans. Plans for an open practice this fall are still to be determined. There is not an open practice on the initial schedule.

Classes begin Aug. 25. UA opens its season on Friday, Aug. 29 against UNLV.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cats will visit Fort Huachuca but not practice

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 22138.html

July 25, 2014 9:45 pm • By Daniel Berk

The Arizona Wildcats released their camp schedule Friday. The absence of a practice at Fort Huachuca is the most notable change.

Arizona has typically held a few days’ worth of practice at the Army installation and worked on team bonding while escaping the Tucson heat. This year, coach Rich Rodriguez will take the Wildcats there again — they just won’t practice when they travel to Fort Huachuca on Aug. 16, a Saturday, after a morning practice in Tucson.

The team will have dinner with the soldiers and stay on the installation overnight. The UA will then have breakfast with the soldiers the following morning and head back to Tucson for media day in the afternoon.

Rodriguez said last year he enjoyed the team’s annual trip to Fort Huachuca, but mostly for the team bonding and the interaction with the soldiers.

With Arizona’s new Lowell-Stevens Football Facility, there’s less of a need for the Wildcats to take their act on the road during camp. With the new facility, two practice fields and a turf field at Arizona Stadium, Rodriguez and the Wildcats have a convenient setup on campus.

Of the time with the soldiers, Rodriguez said last year, “A lot of those guys are about the same age as my players, so it’s really a good interaction there.”

Rodriguez did emphasize last year that the time away for multiple nights was a positive for the team. He enjoyed seeing the team come together.

“I’ve had places where we’ve done it for two weeks and places where we’ve just done it for two days,” Rodriguez said last year. “I like about four or five days. I think that’s just enough time.

“I think every football player needs to go through a camp experience, and this is what that gives us.”

The coach will try to duplicate the camp feel with his on-campus practices this fall.

The Wildcats will open camp on Aug. 2 with an evening practice. The team’s first two-a-day session is Aug. 7. The final camp practice is set for Aug. 22.

One highlight of the team’s annual trip to Fort Huachuca was an open practice to the fans. Plans for an open practice this fall are still to be determined. There is not an open practice on the initial schedule.

Classes begin Aug. 25. The UA opens its season Aug. 29, a Friday, against UNLV at Arizona Stadium. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:Players report today for pictures and pads. news should be coming fast and furious. Maybe we can use this thread for all things fall camp related. I think we surprise a bunch of people this year. We will be fast, very fast on offense and I think the defense will be improved once again

Here's the updated roster:

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/SportSel ... M_ID=30700

Jordan Poland at 6'7 343 lbs is a big ass dude. I'm assuming that since he was originally a USC commit that he can move a bit for his size? Chief?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Saw that RR said he doubted Poland would be in the mix this year. I have to imagine that is because we have great experience but I would have also thought they might want to get him some snaps to get him ready for next year.

I feel pretty good about the O-line, the wide outs, LB's and the safety's. Somewhat concerned about the corner spot, QB, running backs and d-line
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: I feel pretty good about the O-line, the wide outs, LB's and the safety's. Somewhat concerned about the corner spot, QB, running backs and d-line
And lately a sore spot for me, concerned about ST.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dc4azcats wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Players report today for pictures and pads. news should be coming fast and furious. Maybe we can use this thread for all things fall camp related. I think we surprise a bunch of people this year. We will be fast, very fast on offense and I think the defense will be improved once again

8 x CB
15 x DL !!!
4 x FS
11 x S
17 x LB !!!

17 x OL !!!
6 x QB (7 if you count Khari McGee QB/WR)
15 x R !!! (16 " above)
8 x RB
5 x TE

1 x K
3 x K/P
1 x P

Pretty good depth across the board.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

111 man roster I think then.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote: I feel pretty good about the O-line, the wide outs, LB's and the safety's. Somewhat concerned about the corner spot, QB, running backs and d-line
And lately a sore spot for me, concerned about ST.
Oh man, we have had so little emphasis on this it didn't even cross my mind Merk. Remember when Tomey said ther game plan was to reserve the right to punt so they could flip field position over time.

You are right though, I feel good abut our KO return game but while Neal returned punts for ND, that still scares me. As for punting and FG units, no clue. But we will need them to win a game at some point of this season
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:

Jordan Poland at 6'7 343 lbs is a big ass dude. I'm assuming that since he was originally a USC commit that he can move a bit for his size? Chief?
Yes, he can move very well and is strong as an ox. He can move a mountain and block the sun.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

Yes, he can move very well and is strong as an ox. He can move a mountain and block the sun.
Thanks. Some how I knew you would know the answer. :D
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Its here. Start of Fall camp. The offseason is in the past. I'm ready for an exciting year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Gotta take those roster heights/weights with a grain of salt. Jerred Cody was listed in the spring at 6-2 280 pounds and he is now listed at 6-7 290.............Did he suddenly gain 5 inches in height over the summer??. I want whatever growth hormones he's on!!!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

2 good articles from Steve Rivera at Fox Sports Arizona.

On Nate Phillips being ready for his 2nd year.
I'm excited to play with all the new guys coming in," said Phillips, who last year at this time was one of those "new guys," reporting to camp as the anticipation built for the season's first practice.

"We're full tilt," said Phillips, a 5-foot-7 slot receiver out of Chandler Basha High. "He'll (coach Rich Rodriguez) tell you that. That's first day to last day. We're going to go as fast as we can. It's going to be a shock (to players) how quickly we go through practice and how quickly practice goes."

"Everybody is hungry," Phillips said. "Last year we weren't picked to win the Pac-12 South and this year we're still not picked to win the Pac-12 South. Everybody has a chip on their shoulder, maybe because they weren't highly ranked (as a recruit) or because we weren't picked high in the Pac-12 South. We have to go out there and play our best."

He said he'll have to get better with his route running. And having to compete with what is considered the Pac-12's best receiving group will help with that improvement. After all, you get better by playing with good talent and competition.

"You're fighting for playing time; you're fighting for a spot. When you're doing that, you might be the guy who is behind trying to be better than the guy in front of you, or you're making the guy better in front you (as) he tries to keep his spot."

NOTABLE

Arizona doesn't make freshmen and newcomers available to the media until later in camp, but several veterans were asked Friday about freshman Cam Denson, the former Tucson Salpointe Catholic High star. Denson, recruited as a wide receiver, will get a shot to be the starting cornerback because of a lack of depth at that position. How much he plays will be determined, but teammates said he's very talented.

"He's athletic and I really like what I see out of the kid," Grandon said. "When we play basketball at the rec center he's explosive. He dunks on kids. I'm going to enjoy seeing him develop. He's an explosive kid."
General Overview on state of program entering camp.
"I couldn't be more pleased with the direction we are going right now," said Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director. "The progress that has been made under Coach Rodriguez in the two and a half, nearly three years. People think it's just about coaching and Xs and Os and that solve all the issues. But it's not. It's combination of recruiting, commitment in the weight room and commitment in the practice field and structure in the program that allows success. That foundation has been set which bodes well for our future."

"I think we're getting better," Rodriguez said at the annual Pac-12 media day last week. "Sometimes you're getting better and it doesn't show in your record because your opponents have gotten better too. But I think we're better as a program. We're better individually, talent-wise, and our guys are growing up in a system where two years ago we were doing things completely foreign to them."

"I don't know how much of it is noticed, but we are starting to get some relevant depth in positions that are not just one deep anymore," said former Arizona player Lamont Hunley. "A healthy team is a successful team, but good depth breeds consistent winners. I am very excited about the receivers. It looks like if we get some relatively strong QB play we are going to surprise a lot of people."

"There's a lot of anticipation for football," Byrne said. "I've been told from longtime fans that it's as high as they can remember."

"I have to tell ya, I love the guy (Rodriguez)," said Heath Bray, a defensive back for Dick Tomey in the mid 1990s and season ticket holder. "I have had the opportunity to be with (Rodriguez) on many occasions, and personally, I think he is a coach in the mold of the best U of A coaches Larry Smith and Dick Tomey from a personality standpoint. And that may be the highest praise of which I am capable. I would have loved to play for him and his staff. He's a tough, fair, brilliant coach and connects with the players.

"It's the type that breeds loyalty and belief from his guys. We have some ground to make up to be in the top of the Pac South, but I feel we are headed there. Greg Byrne has really put together an awesome foundation for the program. I haven't been this positive since Coach Tomey left."

"I'm very confident in the program and its direction," Bray said. "My real concern with this season is not really what we need to do but what the other teams are doing with their team. The USCs, UCLAs and ASUs in the south have really improved their teams. So we have to play so sound and error free football against them to get out of the Pac 12 South."
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Hey DC....I think he gets RS but comes back next year and starts all 4 seasons.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:Hey DC....I think he gets RS but comes back next year and starts all 4 seasons.
Which makes sense. The pace is difficult for the true frosh but I'm guessing it's even harder for the OL and DL.

Practice is at the stadium tonight due to rain but practice is definitely on. :D
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can't wait to hear a report about the first practice. I really think we are going to be entertained this year.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:Hey DC....I think he gets RS but comes back next year and starts all 4 seasons.
I agree. No need for him to play this year with the two returning bookends and he's athletic enough to play OG, but he needs a year to adjust. I also heard closer to signing day that he has a lingering injury that may prevent him from playing this year in general, but that might just be a rumor. Tagoloa and Poland will be mauling kids in 2015
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:Saw that RR said he doubted Poland would be in the mix this year. I have to imagine that is because we have great experience but I would have also thought they might want to get him some snaps to get him ready for next year.

I feel pretty good about the O-line, the wide outs, LB's and the safety's. Somewhat concerned about the corner spot, QB, running backs and d-line
Honestly I'm not concerned about QB. I think whoever is going to play there will be good enough to throw to these receivers.(hell i could throw to our receivers). Kinda concerned about Corner. I think Holiday and McKnight are going to play a lot. I'm excited to see what Glover can do and I've heard good things about Cam since he's gotten here. DL will be interesting and I'm only really concerned about NT. Melvin is 267 pounds and is in the mix for NT?? Really hoping the light flips on for Worthy or the mormons are ready to play. Allen and Gilbert will do fine on the ends and we've got a decent amount of depth there too. RB is a complete wildcard.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Matt D sure does tweet a lot. Some good videos of practice. Notice that the QBs,RBs, and wrs working on we sweeps. Can't tell you how excited I am for that wrinkle.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Tra'Maybe Bondurant has left the program per coach Rodriguez
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Dkenner wrote:Tra'Maybe Bondurant has left the program per coach Rodriguez
fuck
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Main Event wrote:
fuck
Rodriguez said Bondurant had been disciplined for some issues and given punishment. Never did it, so he left program.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I think the actual quote was: "Most likely done" at Arizona.

He was having some academic difficulties and had this summer to get things straightened out. Pretty sure that RR has a zero tolerance for that kind of stuff.

Last add, it's really hard to fail academically at a major D1 school like Arizona because there's so much academic help for you to make sure you succeed. Sad.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I would also add that if KaDeem can go around campus and pick up trash as his punishment then TB should've been able to do whatever RR asked him to do.

I also know that first offense for missing a tutoring class is rolling the length of the football field and back. Second is carrying a team mate the length of the field and back. I'm guessing the third violation is a little harder than that and TB said thanks but no thanks.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

one word SALT
Salty

Post by Salty »

TB had NFL talent.

Terrible for Arizona and terrible for him.

Total fucking loss.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

he is too good of a player to let this slip away, I think he will be back later after he sees that this will hurt his draft stock.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Dkenner wrote:he is too good of a player to let this slip away, I think he will be back later after he sees that this will hurt his draft stock.
that's entirely up to his grades and up to rich rod if rich rod wants him back.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

He apparently only told his position coach he quit. He hasn't talked to Rich Rod yet.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

First practice video and Coach Rod interview.

First practice photos.

If someone knows the trick to embedding this type of youtube video please let me know.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Dkenner wrote:he is too good of a player to let this slip away, I think he will be back later after he sees that this will hurt his draft stock.
that's entirely up to his grades and up to rich rod if rich rod wants him back.
RR wants him back, It was his decision to quit for whatever reason
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ANGCatFan wrote:First practice video and Coach Rod interview.

First practice photos.

If someone knows the trick to embedding this type of youtube video please let me know.
Copy the unique identifier from the YouTube url (in this case "MXsOSbUnH0U"), click the youtube button, and paste.

[youtube]MXsOSbUnH0U[/youtube]
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Good intensity, effort and excitement all around. I'll take that. RR willing to be much more positive at the outset this year than he has been in the past, he did admit that he was acting a little bit before too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Anyone know how to full screen embedded youtube videos from this site? I normally have to get the link, go to youtube them full screen from there.

Ebbelle looks like a man around boys.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Berk interviews Willy from Philly. The more I see and hear from Will Parks the more I like him. I still seem to be embed impaired with Chrome.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan wrote:Berk interviews Willy from Philly. The more I see and hear from Will Parks the more I like him. I still seem to be embed impaired with Chrome.
Here you go.

[youtube]WGT32tEp65o[/youtube]
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Late, but here is one of thebest write-ups from the first practice by Jason Bartel at S B Nation. Things I learned:
Baker tore his ACL during the ASU game last year, meaning it's only been eight months since the surgery.

"I say he's ahead of schedule (with rehab)," Rodriguez stated about Baker. "But we expected him to be full-go. Now it's just getting that confidence back in his knee and being able to cut on it."

"That's one of my best friends," added Terris Jones-Grigsby. "He's my roommate, so I'm happy he's coming back out, splitting the one reps. Once we bring out the two-back sets, it's going to be a perfect fit for us. Him getting out quickly and a speedy recovery from his ACL is good for us."

"It seems like he hurt it a couple months ago and he's already back. He just took a rock right up the middle and it didn't even look like he's lost a step. He says he's healthy, and you can tell just by watching him."

Sweep plays

I've talked about it a little bit before, but with the loss of Ka'Deem Carey, look for Arizona to have more sweep plays out of the backfield. This was the very first thing happening during practice. DaVonte' Neal, Tyrell (TJ) Johnson, Kaelin DeBoskie, and Samajie Grant were all getting a bunch of reps practicing sweep handoffs.

Two WRs suffer injuries

It's a good thing Arizona is so deep at wide receiver, because two injuries occurred on Saturday. Samajie Grant appeared to have tweaked his lower back, impacting most of practice for him. Then, towards the end of practice, Clive Georges suffered what looked to be a somewhat major hamstring injury.

Georges was unable to walk on it for the rest of practice, and he was saying on the sideline after it happened that it was the worst pain he's ever felt.

It also looked like Trey Griffey hurt his arm a bit, but afterwards he said he felt good.

Tight ends impress

Josh Kern and Trevor Wood both looked like they have the potential to be huge factors in the short passing game this year. Both are monsters (Kern 6-5, 229 and Wood 6-5, 251) and both look to have really soft hands.

Field Goal team struggles

It's kind of cliche to say at this point, but Arizona stinks at field goals. The FG team gets their practice in early, and it was not good to watch. The first snap went nowhere near the holder. The second snap, the holder couldn't get down. And although Casey Skowron looked good kicking, Jack Flatau was abyssmal.

Cam Denson

The highly-touted freshman out of Salpointe is only listed at cornerback, and that's where he spent all of his time on Saturday. He did not look particularly impressive, nor did he look 100% healthy.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Field Goal team struggles

It's kind of cliche to say at this point, but Arizona stinks at field goals. The FG team gets their practice in early, and it was not good to watch. The first snap went nowhere near the holder. The second snap, the holder couldn't get down. And although Casey Skowron looked good kicking, Jack Flatau was abyssmal.
Merkin, when asked for his reaction, could not comment:
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Here's Day two Rich Rod media interview.

[youtube]kfsnaLrMPAw[/youtube]

*TB status walking stairs
*Intensity better day two
*Half of True freshman could see some playing time
*Davonte Neal in great shape
*Clive Georges probably out couple weeks
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Day 3 video. Coach Rod was not happy.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good free article on practice 3 at WSR by Brad Allis. New info at least for me:
Josh Kern also looks like he has put on good weight. Kern will also hold on kicks and the fact that he is a former quarterback could give the Wildcats some options for trick plays.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Good free article on practice 3 at WSR by Brad Allis. New info at least for me:
Josh Kern also looks like he has put on good weight. Kern will also hold on kicks and the fact that he is a former quarterback could give the Wildcats some options for trick plays.

Echoes what DC4 said yesterday that only Solomon and Randall are in the QB mix, although Allis thinks Randall has the better arm where DC4 said Anu is the better passer, Randall the better runner.

Has RR ever run a trick play? For that matter has RR ever used a TE?

ANGCatFan wrote:Day 3 video. Coach Rod was not happy.

Looks like they pulled the video.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Day 3 video is still on the official site.

I wonder what is going on at the official site? Last year that was usually the first site to post a practice report and gave you the best post practice videos. Now they haven't updated a story since the first practice.

My guess is there is a new agreement between the SID and the paid media to allow them to release stories (and updated rosters) first to try and help them draw in subscribers. Either that or the folks at arizonawildcats.com have just gotten lazy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Day 3 video is still on the official site.

I wonder what is going on at the official site? Last year that was usually the first site to post a practice report and gave you the best post practice videos. Now they haven't updated a story since the first practice.

My guess is there is a new agreement between the SID and the paid media to allow them to release stories (and updated rosters) first to try and help them draw in subscribers. Either that or the folks at arizonawildcats.com have just gotten lazy.
Thanks Ang!

You ain't kidding about him being angry, he was really biting nails. He was so flustered he had to ask the media for player's names.

Pretty brutal on the wide outs, calling them "below average".
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I couldn't get it to embed so here's the link:

http://youtu.be/7koxxLqALWg
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote:I couldn't get it to embed so here's the link:

http://youtu.be/7koxxLqALWg

Why is Zach Werlinger #14 getting reps at QB? Didn't know who that was and had to look the number up. Is he the scout team QB? Looked like Billy Kilmer out there with those wobbly but effective passes.

Embedded:

[youtube]7koxxLqALWg[/youtube]
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

They have a rookie period where it's all new guys filled in with RS Fr. Poland may be an ox but gets hurt often. Deboskie doing very well and if Ellison spends a year in the weight room I think he will be much better than everyone expects
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Write up on Parks, Tevis and the other safeties from the official site:

“Last year, we improved as a defense from the year before,” Parks said. “But, who wouldn’t want to be No. 1 in the country as a defense? A lot of people aren’t talking about us right now so that just gave me more motivation to get guys out there when they had free time, to go over film and to do extra work on the field. I think that’s helping us out at practice so far. Obviously, we have a long ways to go, but I think that this was our best summer as a team overall and definitely as a defense.”

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209605209
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion