Fall Camp

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azthrillhouse

Re: Fall Camp

Post by azthrillhouse »

ElGatoBlanco wrote: Honestly why the hell are we broadcasting a fake FG on youtube for everyone to see? Don't you want to keep trick plays under wraps?
[youtube]y0X0ZYbnHxA[/youtube]
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

No biggie. It's not like opponents are going to see that and know that a trick is coming. Besides, if they think it might be coming they'll be a bit less aggressive in going after the block. Hell, for all we know the coaching staff wanted them to see that.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azpenguin wrote:Hell, for all we know the coaching staff wanted them to see that.
Yeah, this. With this staff and how they embrace "new media", I don't think they would "accidentally" let something like that out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:Honestly why the hell are we broadcasting a fake FG on youtube for everyone to see? Don't you want to keep trick plays under wraps?
Every team has a fake field goal in their play book and that one wasn't so tricky or inventive that it needs to be kept top secret. Success is all in the surprise of when it's run. As long as the video doesn't show the signal from the sideline that would tip off an opponent that it's coming, we'll be fine.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ANGCatFan wrote:Love these! I wish they put out more of them. Brewer in Red and Anu in White? What message is Coach Rod sending today?
[youtube]lygPEVsKGwA[/youtube]
RR has been known to give QB's white shirts who are afraid to get hit. Anu has been running to the sidelines rather than picking up more yards and taking a hit and RR doesn't like that.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis at WSR with a RB breakdown.
Terris Jones-Grigsby – Jones-Grigsby and Jared Baker appear to be a little ahead of the rest, but I slotted Jones-Grigsby ahead of Baker because Baker may be limited due to injury. Jones-Grigsby has some very nice quickness and has shown solid instincts while running the ball.

Baker – Baker hurt his knee on Saturday night and there were some initial fears that he had re-torn his ACL, but that was not the case and he is back working out. Like Jones-Grigsby, Baker is a quick back that should work well in the spread offense.

There seems to be less separation in the next group.

Nick Wilson – I think Wilson is the most complete back, though it remains to be seen if he can put it all together. He has plenty of speed, but is a little more of a power back than Jones-Grigsby and Baker. When the light goes on, he could jump to the top of the group.

Zach Green – Green is the power back of the group and should find a role in short yardage situations and also as a blocker. He has shown some good hands in practice, so with depth issues at tight end, he could be used as an H-Back as well.

Jonathan Haden – He’s a tough runner for his size, but quickness is his real gift. May be a redshirt candidate if there are not enough carries to justify playing him.

Adonis Smith – Maybe Saturday was just not a great night, but he looked a little slower than the other backs. He does have the most experience, so it will be interesting to see how the final few weeks go.

There are a few walk-on running backs on the squad and Rodriguez has specifically mentioned Catalina Foothills graduate Ty Cruz.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zach Green – Green is the power back of the group and should find a role in short yardage situations and also as a blocker. He has shown some good hands in practice, so with depth issues at tight end, he could be used as an H-Back as well.

If he is the best blocker among the RBs then I imagine he will see a lot of playing time. Ka'Deem saved BJ's ass dozens of times with great blocking.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Berk interviews Neuheisel. It would have been nice if he waited until Neuheisel had seen us practice.
[youtube]Ep92uqJuNSI[/youtube]
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fall camp preview tonight on the network. Got sick listening to slick Rick sing born in the sec
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ANGCatFan wrote:Berk interviews Neuheisel. It would have been nice if he waited until Neuheisel had seen us practice.
[youtube]Ep92uqJuNSI[/youtube]
Or waited until that truck stopped backing up, apparently in a circle, just a few feet away.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good FSA article by Steve Rivera on the O line.
Gurrola's camp got off to a rough start. In one of the first practices, he got into it with defensive lineman Dwight Melvin in a quick skirmish. Gurrola, who admits to being a guy who talks a lot of smack, continued to fume and spout off after the break-up. Rodriguez got tired of listening and told him to be quiet -- a number of times.

Gurrola eventually let it go. And by the end of practice, he and Rodriguez were hugging.
Rodriguez joked that he sensed Gurrola needed a hug, and he was the nearest guy to do it.
"It was all love," Gurrola said. "I was in the wrong. I had to take it. At the same time someone said to let him yell at you before it gets worse. When it was all over . . . I knew I was in the wrong. I apologized."

Then came the hug.

"That's how I know he's a people's coach," Gurrola said. "I like to call him that."
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I think the trip to Fort H. will be a nice change up as tempers are starting to run short. When you keep beating up on the same folks night in and night out it will happen. I mention it because it's a short trip without any practices but I do believe that a little break from beating each other up will help. A little scuffle broke out tonight and was stopped, then it broke out again and RR went ballistic. From there practice went into the shitter.

Is it me or does this happen like every year where RR has that practice where he goes ballistic and once that is over the team starts to settling in?
jollything

Post by jollything »

dc4azcats wrote:I think the trip to Fort H. will be a nice change up as tempers are starting to run short. When you keep beating up on the same folks night in and night out it will happen. I mention it because it's a short trip without any practices but I do believe that a little break from beating each other up will help. A little scuffle broke out tonight and was stopped, then it broke out again and RR went ballistic. From there practice went into the shitter.

Is it me or does this happen like every year where RR has that practice where he goes ballistic and once that is over the team starts to settling in?

Seems like there is always a couple practices where no one is made available to the media. I wouldn't like to be these guys in todays practice tho.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote: up as tempers are starting to run short.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4896592/ ... 200701.m4a
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote: up as tempers are starting to run short.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4896592/ ... 200701.m4a
That's pretty funny audio. Petulant.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

how was this mornings practice?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Day 13 practice video. I think this is Wed night.

[youtube]UXyLeE40Dxk[/youtube]
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Ted Miller at ESPN weighs in on Coach Rod's displeasure after Wednesday's practice. He has a long post here are some key parts:
Rodriguez is on edge because the winnowing is coming. Must come. With a scrimmage Saturday, he and offensive coordinator Rod Smith both said they want to narrow the field heading into next week. That means tightening the screws in practice, and that process often means delivering an earful and seeing how the recipient of said verbal projectiles reacts. As Rich Rod often says: He wants his guys to become comfortable being uncomfortable.

Rodriguez has an interesting team, one that has some holes but also has enough returning talent to become a factor in the Pac-12's South Division -- if it gets solid play behind center. With a deep and talented crew of receivers and one of the nation's most experienced offensive lines, the guy who ends up winning the job will have a lot to work with.

"You have no chance to win unless you get good quarterback play. You can't win a championship," he said. "I don't think you can have a winning season unless your quarterback play is pretty good."

"(Solomon's) not making as many of those, ‘Oh, no,' moments. He's been more steady," Smith said. "He's made some progress. He's starting to get comfortable with what we are doing. He's more in control now. He's trying to be more vocal -- that's what he wasn't doing in the spring. He's got some talent. He can make some plays. He can do some things with his mind and arm."

Rodriguez rated the odds as pretty good he'd play more than one guy early in the season, though he won't pull a starter who's playing well. It also wouldn't be surprising if Randall, an LSU transfer who has two years of eligibility remaining, gets a package of plays because his talent has intrigued his coaches.

If Rodriguez's mood doesn't improve, it's also possible we won't know his mind until just before UNLV visits on Aug. 29. Such a thought actually make him grin, though. He recalls how his hiring was announced by athletic director Greg Byrne.

"I might pull a Greg Byrne and Tweet it two hours before kickoff," he said.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

though he won't pull a starter who's playing well.

Never liked how even in blowouts RR keeps the starter in. Did any UA QB besides Denker even complete a pass? Or even attempt one?

Long gone Javelle Allen ran a little bit is all I remember. Scroggins never made it on the field, and his redshirt was already burned. Assuming of course Scroggins did make the team bus and didn't bonk his head on a doorway.

As Sean Miller learned last year when Ashley went down, you better start developing a bench early.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Merkin wrote:though he won't pull a starter who's playing well.

Never liked how even in blowouts RR keeps the starter in. Did any UA QB besides Denker even complete a pass? Or even attempt one?

Long gone Javelle Allen ran a little bit is all I remember. Scroggins never made it on the field, and his redshirt was already burned. Assuming of course Scroggins did make the team bus and didn't bonk his head on a doorway.

As Sean Miller learned last year when Ashley went down, you better start developing a bench early.
I'm hoping the last 2 years are because Coach Rod did not trust the back-ups. He always says he wants 2 to 3 QBs he feels he can win with and I think this is the first year that may be true for Coach Rod at Arizona. I hope he gives the primary a back-up a chance to play in case we are forced to play him in a close game.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Ummm how often do you see a coach put in his back up QB when the game is already in hand and have him throw the ball? I remember Mike Stoops doing it once with Matt Scott when we beat Idaho by 70 points, but outside of beating a team that badly that early?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Thursday's Coach Rod interview.

[youtube]jpIiDj8ih3I[/youtube]
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:

Ummm how often do you see a coach put in his back up QB when the game is already in hand and have him throw the ball? I remember Mike Stoops doing it once with Matt Scott when we beat Idaho by 70 points, but outside of beating a team that badly that early?

I see it all the time, not necessarily by Arizona but often against us, and in many other college games. You don't want to run up the score, but when it's 3rd and long you can still try to keep possession by throwing the ball. Also when are on the receiving end of a beat down, no harm in putting in a backup. Not like you can come back from 55-10 even with Joe Montana.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ANG accidentally linked to one of the Young Frankenstein pics.

Here is theLINK(I'm sure you've all got the P12 Blog on your bookmark bar anyway)
Senior Jesse Scroggins, the consensus leader after spring practices, missed a lot of offseason work because of injuries suffered after a automobile accident.
I knew Scroggins missed his summer work. Maybe it was said here that it was lack of commitment or maybe I just inferred it. But I'm pretty sure I never read about him being in a car accident. The guy really can't catch a break.
prh

Post by prh »

Video from tonight's practice
[youtube]cknaSE5-aik[/youtube]
Mentioned the idea of throwing Davonte, Samajie, or Cayleb onto the SWAT team. This is the first I've heard of that, anyone have something to add regarding that?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

@DSBerk: At the start of camp, Rodriguez said 8-9 true freshmen could play this season. Today, he lowered that to 6-7 (not counting special teams).

@DSBerk: Looks like Haden, Wilson, Denson & Wood are locks to have decent size roles. RR also mentioned Tony Ellison as a guy who is learning quick.

@DSBerk: T.J. Johnson is another who will play. OL Layth Friekh and Levi Walton could also be in rotation with strong finish to camp.

@DSBerk: RR likes what he has in Trevor Wood: "He’s going to be a really, really good player. Everything we thought we got with Trevor, we got."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:Video from tonight's practice
Mentioned the idea of throwing Davonte, Samajie, or Cayleb onto the SWAT team. This is the first I've heard of that, anyone have something to add regarding that?

Interesting about the QB race. Going to reduce the amount of plays in the playbook and if they can't make those plays in practice they are out. Referring to Scroggins and Brewer?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
prh wrote:Video from tonight's practice

Interesting about the QB race. Going to reduce the amount of plays in the playbook and if they can't make those plays in practice they are out. Referring to Scroggins and Brewer?
I think it's more of how they worked with BJ LY. He had plays that as the season went on he executed very well - and we kept running them with options tied to what he does well. The roll out and either run or pass was probably what he did the best and we ran that a lot for him. I think the same is true with Solomon, Scroggins and Randall. Randall is different because he has a set that is unique to him and it's not just about his ability to run either. The guy can complete passes but I think the staff realizes that it's a unique set of plays where they can incorporate his running ability but also throw in a few pass plays that he's comfortable with. He's going to play because of his skill set running the ball. Unless Anu is just lighting each team up and not leaving any room for Randall I don't see where he doesn't get a chance to show case what he does well.

I think Anu has the best overall ability to run everything required of him. That's not to say he's perfect because he's not but he continues to improve. The first 4 games on the schedule might benefit Anu more than any other QB as the kid will improve each and every game and this schedule helps big time. Scroggins will play well and then make a mistake that he has made repeatedly. Anu is going to have to completely fall apart in my mind for Scroggins to catch him and I don't see that happening.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis at WSR with some media day notes. A few of the points:
Jordan Allen, who spent the past four years at LSU, saying the Wildcats are “closer than many would think.”

Tyrell Johnson had my favorite anecdote of the day when he explained that he hangs out with Samajie Grant, Nate Phillips and Jonathan Haden, four of Arizona’s undersized speedsters. All four players are under 5-10, and probably run 4.4 or faster. The Daily Star’s Daniel Berk reported the group is calling themselves the MTO (Midget Take Over).

For the record Johnson said he was clocked at 4.34, which he described as “a pretty good time” but also said he believes he is actually faster.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I saw where Worthy said Allen was the best lineman in his opinion. Maybe we will get some penetration this year off the edge
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Monday's post-practice interview:

[youtube]EROPA-pzQZY[/youtube]
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Speaking of kickers, I ran into Alex Zendejas today. He is working with his father and says things are good.

He says he has lots of great memories of his time at the UofA and even those XP misses dont haunt him. He says the one memory he hangs onto was beating ASSU in Tempe.

Kid was all smiles, well spoken and polite. Glad he was a cat
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Freshman running back Omar Boyd #35 has also been added to the roster.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49 wrote:Speaking of kickers, I ran into Alex Zendejas today. He is working with his father and says things are good.

He says he has lots of great memories of his time at the UofA and even those XP misses dont haunt him. He says the one memory he hangs onto was beating ASSU in Tempe.

Kid was all smiles, well spoken and polite. Glad he was a cat
Max could be going to jail.
http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... age-081914
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Very good Berk story on graduate transfer tight end Blair Tushaus from azcentral. Sounds like a smart young man.
"They (AssU) wanted me to be a center, but gaining that weight again, I just didn't want to do it," Tushaus said. "It was a lot of wear on my knees."

In order to graduate by the end of the 2013-14 school year, Tushaus had to take 29 credit hours in the spring at ASU. He did it and was officially eligible to play at another program.

Josh Kern battled an injury earlier in camp, opening up reps for Tushaus and freshman Trevor Wood. The former BYU center has run with the first team in practice.

"He's going to play some tight end, he's going to play some special teams — almost all of them," Rodriguez said. "He's a tough, smart guy. I'm glad he's here."

So is Tushaus, who said he expects his role at tight end to be more of a blocker than a receiver.

"So many things happened the right way; it's remarkable," Tushaus said. "I think the guys in the locker room — I missed that the most. Two days ago, it hit me when we were doing something — it was after practice, we were all having fun, it hit me: 'I'm having fun again.' "
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Whatever happened to that South African huge punter Gerhard de Beer?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catgrad97 wrote:Whatever happened to that South African huge punter Gerhard de Beer?
He's listed on the rooster as OL.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azgreg wrote:He's listed on the rooster as OL.
Sorry...need to chick the depth chart again. ;)
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

catgrad97 wrote:Whatever happened to that South African huge punter Gerhard de Beer?
Rich Rod was asked about him other night (video). Said De Beer has come long way learning. Still on Track Scolly but said he could see De Beer getting on FB scholly long term. Took time to find position for him but has good size strength- athletic. Thinks he will project out at OT and a "good one".
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Originally he came into the program as a punter. He couldn't do worse than anybody out there right now, could he?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's the write up on him from angcatfan over at scout.

"De Beer is a 6-7, 262, redshirt freshman offensive lineman from Pretoria, South Africa. A scholarship discus thrower on the track team and rugby player growing up, De Beer played American football for the first time last year. He was tried at defensive line and tight end last year, but has now moved to the offensive line. The coaches love his raw ability and athleticism."
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catgrad97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:He's listed on the rooster as OL.
Sorry...need to chick the depth chart again. ;)
Cluck you.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

How often does a TE move to a OT?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Best last name ever? 288lbs according to his bio:

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209222294

Last edited by Jefe on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote:Originally he came into the program as a punter. He couldn't do worse than anybody out there right now, could he?
Can he kick field goals?

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Rich Rod was asked about him other night (video). Said De Beer has come long way learning. Still on Track Scolly but said he could see De Beer getting on FB scholly long term. Took time to find position for him but has good size strength- athletic. Thinks he will project out at OT and a "good one".
Therefore never see the field this season since once he steps on the field his track scholie converts into a football one.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Rivera article at FSA on de Beer. Favorite quotes:
"I definitely think this is where I belong," de Beer said. "I'm having fun in what I'm doing."

"He's picking up the game really fast; to be playing offensive line you have to know a lot," said fellow offensive lineman Fabbians Ebbele. "He's keeping up. He always asks great questions and if needs help he's always asking for it. It shows that he likes the game and that he'll (eventually) be good at it."

"I've never experienced something like this," he (de Beer) said. "Sports aren't funded in South Africa. I came here last year and the Lowell-Stevens facility was just built. I gotta tell you, it's beautiful. I was stunned when I saw it. I thank God for the blessing I have and get to do every day."

"If I really set my mind to it and I really want to (do something), I can do it," he said. "I'd really like to play at the next level. Yes, there are outside factors that I cannot influence, but I will do all I can."

"Game days and all the hype are incredible," he said. "The crowd is loud with so many people coming to see the team. It's about the team.

"It'll never be about me. It's always about the team. And what we need to get better."
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I don't think we punt much but that's just me.

I will say this, I have a couple of sources that have been to almost every practice and they have yet to not tell me about some amazing catch that Cayleb Jones has made. Like every practice it's either a "Wow" or "that was crazy what Cayleb just did."
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Today ^ the DB didn't even know he caught it.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

What are the odds we keep Cayleb around another year? I imagine he has to easily be a second rounder.