Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gilbertcat

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by Gilbertcat »

Hey playersprogramu lol

I've never seen an Ad that's wants to be fired this bad. His new name is Leave Hacke
Last edited by Gilbertcat on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Wait, so you're saying recruiting as a NON DIVISION 1 coach is a better predictor than midmajor D1 recruiting?

If we're just posting good qb's Keenan Reynolds was a semi-legit Heisman candidate.
Your point was recruiting as a HC??? You do not recruit Navy. They come to you. Beau recruited EWU.
You think Navy's coach has an easy/easier job recruiting? Ok, man, I think we have to agree to disagree.
You think Navy pitches itself to anyone with NFL aspirations? Anyone who's a 4-star or better?
Here's what I think. At Navy, you have to sell kids on:

1. Joining the Navy.
2. Playing football while there.

At Arizona, you have to sell kids on:

1. Playing football while there.

Which is easier?
At Navy you're not recruiting a football player. You are recruiting a soldier. The football is secondary. It's the cherry on top for a Naval cadet that is going to go to a military academy.

It's an entirely different beast.

I don't want to "break the mold", or "experiment" with a guy. I want to make a good, solid hire. We have a special talent at QB, and we need to move the needle on the program. Now is not the time for taking a chance.

This is the football equivalent of ASSU's retarded "CEO" model.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why was sumlin in town if it wasn't a done deal?
Or was Kelly Abbot incorrect about who was at her restaurant?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

OSUCat wrote:Wow. Just wow. A bunch of nonesense growing here.

Calling KN a military recruiter. Ha.
I especially like the conclusion that 4-stars and 5-stars don’t choose Navy because they don’t produce NFL talent. Ha.

BTW, it seems that you guys might have forgotten. Arizona isn’t a military academy. That means KN can recruit just about anyone that can get into Arizona.
Yeah, you're right. All the top talent flocks to the military academies.

https://247sports.com/college/navy/Seas ... ll/Commits" target="_blank

Inspiring stuff!

4 and 5-star players don't choose Navy because most people aren't trying to be soldiers. But what about making soldiers makes you a good recruiter of high-level athletes?

It's an entirely different ballgame.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

It's still in a reasonable time frame for hiring a coach, no one here really knows anything.

Heeke needs to get this right, so don't mind him taking 2 weeks to interview about 5 candidates...but this is probably the last football coach Arizona will ever hire. In current trial MRI tests, CTE can now finally be tested for in living people and they are finding it among military exposed to bomb detonations, and football players they have tested who are still alive.

We used to have to wait until death and then an autopsy to confirm CTE. Once the brains of current NFL and college players are scanned, and most will show signs of early CTE or worse, the headlines are going to be horrific. Football at the high school level will be banned first because school districts won't want all the liability. Then colleges will follow because they won't want the liability either plus they won't be able to justify sending kids who are supposed to be learning into a sport where their brains have a 25-50% chance of turning into mush later on in life. This is all coming folks, starting in the next 3-5 years, football as we know it will be over soon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I am just speculating. All I saw was the team meeting room looking like a press conference was going to take place. Not sure if it was being set up, or being taken down. I have never seen a press conference held in there before. Typically the LB room
@PlayersProgramU please look what I said here before using me as a source.
Maybe I was his "source" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those idiot PGU guys need to give it up already.

Fuck PGU
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

PGU split into Bear Down Central and PPU?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why are quoting PGU?

Have we learned nothing?
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

chiefzona wrote:Baldwin is still in it. Sumlin is just about gone. Kenny interviewed and I think he did well. Heeke’s camp leaked it to media and they’ve seen the unfavorable reactions. Heeke now has to either go hard at Sumlin or just split the difference and hire Baldwin.
Mostly this. My guess: Heeke has been doing what he's supposed to do...interview the best candidates. Unlike the Byrne process of secrecy, Heeke has allowed names to be leaked (either through himself, his contacts, the candidates themselves, whatever) so he can guage media, fan and probably even player reactions.

IF this is the case, then based on those reactions, you can probably scratch Kenny N. off the list and it's down to Sumlin and Baldwin. If he prefers Sumlin, he gets him if we can come up with the money. If not, or if he prefers Baldwin, it's Baldwin.

Or I don't have a clue. :D
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Okay this I do know, but could be completely unrelated, coaches have to clean out their offices tomorrow. (PlayersProgramU, this don’t not necessarily mean a hire has been made.)
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The process has come across as bush league, IMO.

Leaks, "done deals", random names and no control over players tweeting.

We should just make huge splash and hire that woman who was in coaching a year or two ago.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:Okay this I do know, but could be completely unrelated, coaches have to clean out their offices tomorrow. (PlayersProgramU, this don’t not necessarily mean a hire has been made.)
Which coaches? And why?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

qwertyus wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Okay this I do know, but could be completely unrelated, coaches have to clean out their offices tomorrow. (PlayersProgramU, this don’t not necessarily mean a hire has been made.)
Which coaches? And why?
Working on specifics. The text I got said “coaches are cleaning out their offices tomorrow and they had to clean out coach rods”
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is that common at end of season?

Yearly maintenance?

Or time to sell house?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Postmaster wrote:Is that common at end of season?

Yearly maintenance?

Or time to sell house?
If it’s common, I have never seen it. Maybe they’ve done it over winter break but not this late.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

btfd16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Which coaches? And why?
Working on specifics. The text I got said “coaches are cleaning out their offices tomorrow and they had to clean out coach rods”
From my understanding the entire offensive staff was told a week ago they would not be retained.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I am just speculating. All I saw was the team meeting room looking like a press conference was going to take place. Not sure if it was being set up, or being taken down. I have never seen a press conference held in there before. Typically the LB room
@PlayersProgramU please look what I said here before using me as a source.
Maybe I was his "source" :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UofAlum05 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Which coaches? And why?
From my understanding the entire offensive staff was told a week ago they would not be retained.
I thought so too. Trying to gather intel on whether the D has to clean too and they stopped answering
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m surprised at least a few coaches haven’t latched on to other jobs yet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

qwertyus wrote: Also the "midmajor" part. Guess who else was successful at a midmajor? Some West Virginia schlub.

We hear about Sumlin for over a week. Proven winner, with proven ties to talent Texas and Arizona. Comes with an OC in Mazzone that we know can produce (so we can finally be rid of Rod Smith/Calvin Magee run-heavy, QB-stalling tandem), who has just come off an 8-5 season in the top conference, and got a mobile QB a Heisman...

....And now we're hiring a military academy coach off of a 7-6 season? A guy with zero ties to anything related to Arizona, and we have no idea who else he'd bring in on his staff. Oh, and he's going to stop running the triple option, the only offense he's ever run, and the only one he's had any (by which I mean lots of 7-8 win seasons) success in. At a mid-major school.

That's not just a little drop. It's a dive off of a cliff.
You say RR and KN are "midmajor" coaches who cannot win at power 5 schools and then talk up another midmajor coach who couldn't win at a power 5 school? And call him a proven winner?

Last five seasons A&M is 23-25 vs P5 schools. His A&M teams only put up 8 wins by scheduling OOC lineups like Lamar - Rice - SMU - UL Monroe

Wake would start 4-0 every year with that schedule.
Schnebly

Post by Schnebly »

I've been monitoring this situation from Banana Boat Division of Ice Station Zebra.

Here's what I think. I think these college program-specific "media" sources who want to be *first* with announcements are annoying as hell... and I realize they're trying to make a living... but report it once and only when you know it is true. And it will be true when Arizona announces it. Until then, the obsessed-fan meltdown you help perpetuate is probably also this board's way of dealing with things beyond our control yet inexplicably close to our hearts... and that's pretty annoying, too.

Please just let the process play out, learn about the new coach when we know their identity, and hope for the best. And maybe drink a 6pack and, respectfully, chill the hell out.

Schneb
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Condolences to the board, Daily Star reports he's officially been offered.

Either he's the coach, or we just got used to leverage a raise from a service academy.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UofAlum05 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Which coaches? And why?

Do you think this has anything to do with the stuff aledged MW?

Also, does the MW stuff have effect on those guys getting new jobs?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Saw it tweeted, but might have missed it on this board... He recruits Texas, California and the Pacific Islands.

If you were to create an Arizona coach in a laboratory, that's where you'd give him strong recruiting ties right?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Sage&Silver wrote:Condolences to the board, Daily Star reports he's officially been offered.

Either he's the coach, or we just got used to leverage a raise from a service academy.
Sage&Silver wrote:Saw it tweeted, but might have missed it on this board... He recruits Texas, California and the Pacific Islands.

If you were to create an Arizona coach in a laboratory, that's where you'd give him strong recruiting ties right?
You're several pages behind I see,
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Sage&Silver wrote:
qwertyus wrote: Also the "midmajor" part. Guess who else was successful at a midmajor? Some West Virginia schlub.

We hear about Sumlin for over a week. Proven winner, with proven ties to talent Texas and Arizona. Comes with an OC in Mazzone that we know can produce (so we can finally be rid of Rod Smith/Calvin Magee run-heavy, QB-stalling tandem), who has just come off an 8-5 season in the top conference, and got a mobile QB a Heisman...

....And now we're hiring a military academy coach off of a 7-6 season? A guy with zero ties to anything related to Arizona, and we have no idea who else he'd bring in on his staff. Oh, and he's going to stop running the triple option, the only offense he's ever run, and the only one he's had any (by which I mean lots of 7-8 win seasons) success in. At a mid-major school.

You say RR and KN are "midmajor" coaches who cannot win at power 5 schools and then talk up another midmajor coach who couldn't win at a power 5 school? And call him a proven winner?

Last five seasons A&M is 23-25 vs P5 schools. His A&M teams only put up 8 wins by scheduling OOC lineups like Lamar - Rice - SMU - UL Monroe

"Last 5 seasons" is a stupid cutoff. He was at A&M for 6 years. RR was at Arizona for 6 years. That's how you compare, otherwise, should I compare RR's 3-9 year with Sumlin's 11-2? Oh, would that not be fair?

He led a dual-threat QB, who was a headcase, to a Heisman trophy. Imagine what could he do with Tate?

He was 51-26 at TAMU, and his 25-23 conference record in the SEC WEST is miles better than RR's 24-30 mark over the same time period.

Ken Nuimatalolo's record is 52-27 over the same span, during which Navy was an independent for 3 years, and AAC members for 3 years. And this includes Navy's best year, 11-2, so it's not like I'm shortchanging KN.

So, 1 fewer win in an infinitely harder conference means that KN is a winner, and Sumlin is a loser, right?

I could care less about his cupcakes. He'd find the PAC12 South to be an absolute cakewalk compared to playing Auburn/Alabama/LSU every year.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

[quote="btfd16"] I think we can safely assume that Ace has risen from the dead :lol:
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

I think Ken N sounds like a great coach and leader. His record proves it. He does not badmouth his prior employers or write books pointing fingers at folks a la Rich Rod. He isn't a jobhopper. While he isn't running for sainthood, he looks like a very solid dude, who is resourceful. I am good with him.

Also I like Sumlin, and some of the other candidates mentioned. They all look great; which is why I don't understand the meltdown on this board?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Sage&Silver wrote:Saw it tweeted, but might have missed it on this board... He recruits Texas, California and the Pacific Islands.

Not gonna disparage the Naval Academy or the Navy, because i jave high ranking family members, and Frogman Seal Team bad ass buddies... But it's the freaking Naval Academy... He's not walking into Poly, Bosco, or Mater Dei here folks.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TucsonClip wrote:

Not gonna disparage the Naval Academy or the Navy, because i jave high ranking family members, and Frogman Seal Team bad ass buddies... But it's the freaking Naval Academy... He's not walking into Poly, Bosco, or Mater Dei here folks.
Nor Allen, Katy,Carroll, Euless Trinity (big Poly school) etc. in Texas
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3rdand25 wrote:I think Ken N sounds like a great coach and leader. His record proves it. He does not badmouth his prior employers or write books pointing fingers at folks a la Rich Rod. He isn't a jobhopper. While he isn't running for sainthood, he looks like a very solid dude, who is resourceful. I am good with him.

Also I like Sumlin, and some of the other candidates mentioned. They all look great; which is why I don't understand the meltdown on this board?
Because I don't know how he'd recruit the players we need to compete at the top level and running the option probably isn't the best choice for us. Nothing with Ken N shows me that he'd be much better than RR win/loss wise. He's an upgrade, but I doubt very much he'd do anything to make us any more than a 6-8 win team every year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

qwertyus wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:

"Last 5 seasons" is a stupid cutoff. He was at A&M for 6 years. RR was at Arizona for 6 years. That's how you compare, otherwise, should I compare RR's 3-9 year with Sumlin's 11-2? Oh, would that not be fair?

He led a dual-threat QB, who was a headcase, to a Heisman trophy. Imagine what could he do with Tate?

He was 51-26 at TAMU, and his 25-23 conference record in the SEC WEST is miles better than RR's 24-30 mark over the same time period.

Ken Nuimatalolo's record is 52-27 over the same span, during which Navy was an independent for 3 years, and AAC members for 3 years. And this includes Navy's best year, 11-2, so it's not like I'm shortchanging KN.

So, 1 fewer win in an infinitely harder conference means that KN is a winner, and Sumlin is a loser, right?

I could care less about his cupcakes. He'd find the PAC12 South to be an absolute cakewalk compared to playing Auburn/Alabama/LSU every year.
It's not a "stupid cutoff" One year was an outlier the rest are consistent. He had one good year with a Heisman winner at QB. Since then its 23-25 vs P5. And enough of the SEC West stuff. He wasn't any better out of conference than he was in conference. unless you're counting all those wins vs the Southland Athletic Conference, which he absolutely crushed.... repeatedly.

Any yes recent performance is more important than the first year. The last five years is a college career. The last five year he's had more and more of his amazing recruits. The past five years he's been the most consistent coach in college football, about .500 Top recruiting classes, never higher than 4th in the division.

I don't know why you're comparing records between Sumil and RR or KN. I never said RR had a better 2012. I pointed out the ridiculous assertion that RR and KN aren't worthy P5 coaches because they only ever won at "midmajors" then you hype a guy who has only ever one at a midmajor and call him a proven winner. I could put together a chart if you like.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

TucsonClip wrote:

If any of the tweet is true, it's just a nugget of hope that he's got good relationships with the coaches. I mean, not everyone on those teams is a 5* guy.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
3rdand25 wrote:I think Ken N sounds like a great coach and leader. His record proves it. He does not badmouth his prior employers or write books pointing fingers at folks a la Rich Rod. He isn't a jobhopper. While he isn't running for sainthood, he looks like a very solid dude, who is resourceful. I am good with him.

Because I don't know how he'd recruit the players we need to compete at the top level and running the option probably isn't the best choice for us. Nothing with Ken N shows me that he'd be much better than RR win/loss wise. He's an upgrade, but I doubt very much he'd do anything to make us any more than a 6-8 win team every year.
That's fine; there are unknowns with any coach coming into a new situation. You don't know how any of them will recruit here, for example. But my money is on the coach who is clever and resourceful to hire the right assistants to get the job done. (How is the new guys judgement? We are all far from perfect but that should have been a huge flag when Byrne hired RR.) That might mean hiring some assistants who are more familiar with AZ and the west coast. You ain't gonna survive with an east coast staff poaching leftovers from Fla and Ga...

We've had coaches that were defensive gurus, offensive gurus, innovators, ran junk schemes, started running backs and defensive backs as qbs etc. But the most successful years seemed like when we had a decent defense, a decent balanced offense (with a better qb or multi headed qb) and outstanding special teams- imagine that. The particular scheme seemed less important than the personnel (which is the opposite of RRs arrogant belief in his precious system). But we sure put more players in the NFL when we ran a more conventional offense and defense (see Dick Tomey and Mike Stoops and the number of players they put in the league)

I agree with your concerns but think that a smart coach will look at what has worked best here in the past, and learn from history.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ASUHATER! wrote:

I can't imagine he'd do better at Arizona than Paul Johnson has done at GT. Johnson at GT has been Dick Tomey-esque. 9 & 10 win seasons sprinkled into a field of one-win-above .500 seasons

2008 Georgia Tech 9–4 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) L Chick-Fil-A 22 22
2009 Georgia Tech 10–3 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Orange† 13 13
2010 Georgia Tech 6–7 4–4 T–3rd (Coastal) L Independence
2011 Georgia Tech 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Sun
2012 Georgia Tech 7–7 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) W Sun
2013 Georgia Tech 7–6 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Music City
2014 Georgia Tech 11–3 6–2 1st (Coastal) W Orange† 7 8
2015 Georgia Tech 3–9 1–7 7th (Coastal)
2016 Georgia Tech 9–4 4–4 5th (Coastal) W TaxSlayer

2017 wasn't up on teh Wiki I pulled that list from, I think they were 5-6
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Sage&Silver wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

I can't imagine he'd do better at Arizona than Paul Johnson has done at GT. Johnson at GT has been Dick Tomey-esque. 9 & 10 win seasons sprinkled into a field of one-win-above .500 seasons

2008 Georgia Tech 9–4 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) L Chick-Fil-A 22 22
2009 Georgia Tech 10–3 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Orange† 13 13
2010 Georgia Tech 6–7 4–4 T–3rd (Coastal) L Independence
2011 Georgia Tech 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Sun
2012 Georgia Tech 7–7 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) W Sun
2013 Georgia Tech 7–6 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Music City
2014 Georgia Tech 11–3 6–2 1st (Coastal) W Orange† 7 8
2015 Georgia Tech 3–9 1–7 7th (Coastal)
2016 Georgia Tech 9–4 4–4 5th (Coastal) W TaxSlayer

2017 wasn't up on teh Wiki I pulled that list from, I think they were 5-6
Not arguing the argument, but just pointing out, that looks a hell of a lot like RR. If Ken has those identical records at Arizona, he is out by the 2013 year. The "won with RR's players" arguments would come out and he'd been in a span of 6-7, 8-5, 7-7, 7-6. 1st 6 years are very RR esque (mediocre, with a Fiesta Bowl). Who knows RR, could've had that 11-3 year this year with all the youngins and Tate.

Edit: Only difference I will say is the conference records.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Definitely did not see me asking to fire a dude a few months into the job

GT has done well. It could work here but your ceiling is automatically lower. And the pac has terrible bowl tie ins. So holiday is your max in a good year. Atleast RR gave us hope of winning the Pac. Sumlin would also. I like bowls. But it brings zero hype and limits us to a basketball school.
Ih8assu

Post by Ih8assu »

KC-Tuc? A booster plane is doing some flying
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
jimson

Post by jimson »

What are you not hearing about Ken N? "He's a hot up and comer destined for a P5 job." He'll tear up recruiting" " Imagine what he can do with Tate "

He might be a great coach, but he is at least a year from sparking any interest in this program and that pretty much only if he wins the division next season.

Can we afford to tank attendance for even another year?
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Ih8assu wrote:KC-Tuc? A booster plane is doing some flying
Source? Who's plane?
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The boosters want Sumlin.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What would y’all think about ol’ Mullet Gundy?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

What makes Kenny N better than Rich Rod? Answer is.....nothing. Therefore, he is not the answer to the Arizona equation.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

WTF is going on?! FFS just hire Beau, retain Yates and be done with this shit show!!!
Setiously, WTF is Heeke thinking?!!!
I've talked to many who think Beau is easily Harsin's equal at Boise St...
This is Really pathetic and Amateur Hour and the last thing the program needs after RR departure and laundry!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:What would y’all think about ol’ Mullet Gundy?

I would do 10 flips and buy beers for all y’all.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Sage&Silver wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:

It's not a "stupid cutoff" One year was an outlier the rest are consistent. He had one good year with a Heisman winner at QB. Since then its 23-25 vs P5. And enough of the SEC West stuff. He wasn't any better out of conference than he was in conference. unless you're counting all those wins vs the Southland Athletic Conference, which he absolutely crushed.... repeatedly.

Any yes recent performance is more important than the first year. The last five years is a college career. The last five year he's had more and more of his amazing recruits. The past five years he's been the most consistent coach in college football, about .500 Top recruiting classes, never higher than 4th in the division.

I don't know why you're comparing records between Sumil and RR or KN. I never said RR had a better 2012. I pointed out the ridiculous assertion that RR and KN aren't worthy P5 coaches because they only ever won at "midmajors" then you hype a guy who has only ever one at a midmajor and call him a proven winner. I could put together a chart if you like.
Sure, if you cut off his first season at TAMU where he led TAMU to a 7-1 record in conference, only losing to Alabama, and got Johnny Manziel a Heisman. But other than that, no success.

(Psst, the reason I think your cutoff is "stupid" is because it is. You're literally doing it so that you can pretend that Sumlin has no success)

...Except for the fact that you can take away his best year, and he still performed better (19-21) than Rich Rod (20-25 in conference). In an infinitely harder conference.

He beat up on mid-majors, except for the fact that the "cupcakes" he scheduled, like SMU and Rice, are at the level that Navy schedules. So, you want to hire Ken Niumatalolo, whose entire schedule is played against teams that are Kevin Sumlin cupcakes? That makes a lot of sense!

Sumlin was not exceptional at TAMU, but he was in the hardest division (SEC West) in CFB, has a better record than RR, and has been taking them to bowl games year after year in that division. Maybe he doesn't work out, but the stats are on my side, not yours. We're not going to get Saban, so the next best thing is an SEC West coach who's gotten good results.

Bielema went 11-29 in conference at Arkansas in 5 years.

Malzahn went 25-15 in conference at Auburn in 5 years.

Miles/Orgeron went 20-11 in conference at LSU in 5 years.

Freeze/Luke went 19-21 in conference at Ole Miss in 5 years.

Mullen went 20-20 in conference at Miss St in 5 years.

Saban went 36-4 in conference at Alabama in 5 years.

Sumlin went 19-21 in conference at TAMU in 5 years.

Now let's break this down.

We're not going to get Saban or Malzahn. Saban has won everything under the sun, and we'd never tempt Malzahn over here from Auburn.

Bielema sucked, so he's out.

Freeze just had a sex scandal, and Luke went 3-5 in his first gig, so we're not going to go after them.

Miles is old and looks like he was never really interested, and we're not likely to tempt Orgeron from LSU, no way we'd pay enough.

Mullen just parlayed his 20-20 record of the last 5 years (33-39 over his entire tenure) into the Florida HC job, one of the most coveted jobs in the country.

So, you're going to look down on Sumlin as someone who isn't a winner? Look at those records! Sumlin's is the best record that isn't tainted by scandal, and one of his contemporaries, Mullen, whom you wouldn't consider a "winner", got hired as the HC at Florida.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:WTF is going on?! FFS just hire Beau, retain Yates and be done with this shit show!!!
Setiously, WTF is Heeke thinking?!!!
I've talked to many who think Beau is easily Harsin's equal at Boise St...
This is Really pathetic and Amateur Hour and the last thing the program needs after RR departure and laundry!

Beau is better than Harsin. Beau is the QB whisperer.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:

Same but there isn’t a chance in this world... that’s why I wish Mike Yurcich had more West Coast ties
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's a man! He's 50! Go after him!

Would love him, but why would he leave his alma mater?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Same but there isn’t a chance in this world... that’s why I wish Mike Yurcich had more West Coast ties
Just thought I’d share the text messages I’ve been getting from friends with sources.

Sorry, I should say “sources”.