15-16 recruiting class

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: 15-16 recruiting class

Post by gumby »

Safe to say we get one of them, Jeter, Comanche or Rabb?
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Safe to say we get one of them, Jeter, Comanche or Rabb?
We aren't getting Jeter.

I still feel confident that Rabb will be a Wildcat. And it would be great of course to have Comanche too.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Comanche is a must. I think he has the same type of impact Zeus does, contributing through size and length alone before he peaks skills-wise (at the college level) in year 2 or 3.

One thing I love about the Miller era is consistently being in the mix for talented bigs. We had that early with Olson but it wasn't a mainstay throughout his reign.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:Comanche is a must. I think he has the same type of impact Zeus does, contributing through size and length alone before he peaks skills-wise (at the college level) in year 2 or 3.

One thing I love about the Miller era is consistently being in the mix for talented bigs. We had that early with Olson but it wasn't a mainstay throughout his reign.
I'd flip that. Rabb is the big deal. Ristic, Anderson and Victor make more than one big a luxury. Rabb is the guy I would want most.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Rabb is looking less likely to commit to the UA each passing day. These "package deals" never seem to work out for the Cats. Comanche is a "must get" for Miller.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... cky-kansas
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Comanche is a must. I think he has the same type of impact Zeus does, contributing through size and length alone before he peaks skills-wise (at the college level) in year 2 or 3.

I'd flip that. Rabb is the big deal. Ristic, Anderson and Victor make more than one big a luxury. Rabb is the guy I would want most.
Me too, Spiff.

But I don't like the risk of losing out in the Spring when everyone else, certainly including Comanche, is gonezo.

This is the classic dilemma. Hold out for the moon(better chance at the NC) while sliding past a very good player with 2/3 year prospects.

Rabb's conversation is eery. Push him for a smart early decision to join the 15/16 national champ and if it doesn't work, close a Comanche deal fast. Dude's a baller with good character and would meet our needs to be seriously in the NC discussion. If for any reason we miss Comanche, Rabb's still a prospect.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Flip what? I said Comanche is a must. I didn't say anything about Rabb. Rabb is a lotto pick after one year of CBB. Of course he's a big deal.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

dmjcat wrote:Rabb is looking less likely to commit to the UA each passing day. These "package deals" never seem to work out for the Cats. Comanche is a "must get" for Miller.

Lol there's no way a 3 way package deal is happening here. This is just pure bullshit spewed out by a guy literally obsessed with package deals (Zagoria). Arizona is doing just fine here.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Rabb is looking less likely to commit to the UA each passing day. These "package deals" never seem to work out for the Cats. Comanche is a "must get" for Miller.

Lol there's no way a 3 way package deal is happening here. This is just pure bullshit spewed out by a guy literally obsessed with package deals (Zagoria). Arizona is doing just fine here.
Gato, it's clear we don't have your insight. .

Without your insight, here's the kind of thing we're reading(also probably a Zagoria interview, but he's indicating exact quotes):

On Arizona: "I used to get irritated the last few years people just always telling me since I'm playing for the Soldiers that I'm automatically going to Arizona, which is not true. But now I don't let it get to me. I'm just looking at them from a basketball player's standpoint. They have a good coach, they win a lot of games and they do some things that I like in their program."

In the context of his other comments(same interview session) on our competitor teams who've offered , the above is pretty bland. Now he's yakking unclearly about a three player combo potential. Just seems weird for a guy who supposedly likes us a lot.

I respect your insight and viewpoints a lot, Gatoman, so I feel better to hear your confidence at this time.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We'll get Rabb my man
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

EOCT wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:

Gato, it's clear we don't have your insight. .

Without your insight, here's the kind of thing we're reading(also probably a Zagoria interview, but he's indicating exact quotes):

On Arizona: "I used to get irritated the last few years people just always telling me since I'm playing for the Soldiers that I'm automatically going to Arizona, which is not true. But now I don't let it get to me. I'm just looking at them from a basketball player's standpoint. They have a good coach, they win a lot of games and they do some things that I like in their program."

In the context of his other comments(same interview session) on our competitor teams who've offered , the above is pretty bland. Now he's yakking unclearly about a three player combo potential. Just seems weird for a guy who supposedly likes us a lot.

I respect your insight and viewpoints a lot, Gatoman, so I feel better to hear your confidence at this time.
Just remember one thing when it comes to recruiting journalists and namely those who don't work for a larger corporation, but rather themselves, they make money via web hits. While they also take quotes, those quotes can either be completely taken out of context or be altered in a way depending on what message the "journalist" wants to get across regarding the recruitment. Zags best shot at lots of page clicks are by attracting huge fanbases that are highly invested in their basketball team and jerk off to the thought of a "package deal." In this case Diamond Stone & Malik Newman are involved with Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, & North Carolina. You can't fuel the dream of an imaginary 3 way package deal with Rabb by creating a love session for Arizona in that scenario.

Now in regards to Arizona and Rabb, yes he used to get upset that people used to come up to him and tell him that he's going to Arizona cause he plays for the Soldiers before he ever really started his recruitment, but that fact alone hardly suggests that Arizona is falling behind or he wants to go elsewhere. The kid is coming on campus in a couple of months and those other schools on his list outside of Cal sure are a long way from home.

So to sum it up, Adam Zagoria is a scum bag, don't ever take anything you read on his website seriously, especially if he's fantasizing about package deals that aren't going to happen. Oh and Arizona is doing just fine for Rabb, let Miller work his magic. We'll see what happens.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck UNC.

I hate them more than ever.

Garbage institution and garbage program.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

CalStateTempe wrote:Fuck UNC.

Hey,. . . they where useful in '97!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Fuck UNC.

Hey,. . . they where useful in '97!

Good, curb stomped them then, hope to curb stomp them again in the near future.
Ziggiles

Post by Ziggiles »

My current understanding of the landscape looks something like this ....

Briscoe - 45/50%
Trier - 85%

Chance Comanche - 75%
Rabb - 60%
Tyler Davis - 60%
Zimmerman - 35%

The hard thing to determine is who is coming and who is going?

I think we are almost certainly taking 5 or 6 guys and no less than 4.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ziggiles!!! Welcome.... :)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Ziggiles wrote:My current understanding of the landscape looks something like this ....

Briscoe - 45/50%
Trier - 85%

Chance Comanche - 75%
Rabb - 60%
Tyler Davis - 60%
Zimmerman - 35%

I'd put Trier and Comanche (who UA has to take regardless of Rabb) higher actually, and Zimm & Briscoe lower.

Good to see you here Zigg.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Damn that % for Rabb seems to keep dropping!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Trier should be higher. 97cats already gave us the high sign. (Arizona is right where it wants to be with...)
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UA basketball 2015 class 'could be No. 1'

12 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

LAS VEGAS — With the July evaluation period over, the Arizona Wildcats begin the stretch run of closing out what could be a fourth straight powerhouse recruiting class.

Maybe even as good as any that coach Sean Miller has assembled yet.

“I’m getting scared,” said guard Justin Simon, the first of UA’s two 2015 commits to jump on board. “It could be the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. That’s something big to be a part of, and something I’ve always dreamed of. We have great guys and have a chance to get to the Final Four. We can make some history for our school.”

So far, Arizona has Simon and Las Vegas wing Ray Smith, both five-star recruits, in the high school senior class. Then there’s Boston College transfer forward Ryan Anderson, who will effectively join the 2015 class when he becomes eligible after sitting out the required redshirt season required of transfers.

Two holes remain: a point guard — Seattle’s Allonzo Trier and New Jersey’s Isaiah Briscoe are at the top of that list — and a big man, with Los Angeles’ Chance Comanche, Oakland’s Ivan Rabb and Las Vegas’ Stephen Zimmerman generating the most UA attention at this point.

All are big-time prospects.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 0ac9a.html
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

It's an amazing time to be a Wildcat hoops fan.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

pokinmik wrote:It's an amazing time to be a Wildcat hoops fan.
The new golden age has begun.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm getting scared ...
Ziggiles

Post by Ziggiles »

Reydituto wrote:
Ziggiles wrote:My current understanding of the landscape looks something like this ....

Briscoe - 45/50%
Trier - 85%

Chance Comanche - 75%
Rabb - 60%
Tyler Davis - 60%
Zimmerman - 35%

I'd put Trier and Comanche (who UA has to take regardless of Rabb) higher actually, and Zimm & Briscoe lower.

Thanks Chi and Rey., It was strange trying to figure out the reason for the exodus.

I think you are right with Trier and Comanche. After reading some more interviews and looking at the visit dates it seems that we will most likely take 4 more in addition to Simon and Smith. Additionally, Briscoe has had an amazing spring but he is significantly older than most recruits on the circuit so it's not surprising that he is physically more imposing. I would be more intrigued if the development of his game occurred due to an expanded shooting range but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Trier certainly fills a need with his supreme shooting ability. Comache is a big body who is incredibly raw at offense but a good/great defensive player and is the type of developmental big man you need in a program especially if you can develop that upside. It seems like Rabb insurance is coming in the form of Tyler Davis. I would love to get both of those PF's because it's my belief that Rabb is clearly a 1 and done player while Davis is the A-Typical college player that has the potential to be a very good upperclassman similar to a Justin Davis at Stanford a couple years ago. His body type/athleticism however, is very similar to David Paris of Cal (who played at the same time as Davis) and never developed.

Trier
Comanche

Rabb
Davis?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Ziggiles wrote:
Reydituto wrote:

Briscoe - 45/50%
Trier - 85%

Chance Comanche - 75%
Rabb - 60%
Tyler Davis - 60%
Zimmerman - 35%

Thanks Chi and Rey., It was strange trying to figure out the reason for the exodus.

I think you are right with Trier and Comanche. After reading some more interviews and looking at the visit dates it seems that we will most likely take 4 more in addition to Simon and Smith. Additionally, Briscoe has had an amazing spring but he is significantly older than most recruits on the circuit so it's not surprising that he is physically more imposing. I would be more intrigued if the development of his game occurred due to an expanded shooting range but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Trier certainly fills a need with his supreme shooting ability. Comache is a big body who is incredibly raw at offense but a good/great defensive player and is the type of developmental big man you need in a program especially if you can develop that upside. It seems like Rabb insurance is coming in the form of Tyler Davis. I would love to get both of those PF's because it's my belief that Rabb is clearly a 1 and done player while Davis is the A-Typical college player that has the potential to be a very good upperclassman similar to a Justin Davis at Stanford a couple years ago. His body type/athleticism however, is very similar to David Paris of Cal (who played at the same time as Davis) and never developed.

Trier
Comanche

Rabb
Davis?
I don't think Davis is a college PF, he's definitely a center. I also think there's a big name name you're leaving out that's not being talked about much.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Name him, and we'll talk.
Ziggiles

Post by Ziggiles »

Carlton Bragg or Bennie Boatwright would be the most obvious omissions.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:Name him, and we'll talk.

He means Stephen Zimmerman, and I'm still not sold on him ending up at UA. Also, the opinions on him are somewhat mixed, but I do think he's talented and has shown real interest, as his last official visit is scheduled to UA on 11/7. So, we'll see.

Zigg, I don't think UA gets either Bragg (who I really like) or Boatwright (who I'm less high on).
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Reydituto wrote:
gumby wrote:Name him, and we'll talk.

He means Stephen Zimmerman, and I'm still not sold on him ending up at UA. Also, the opinions on him are somewhat mixed, but I do think he's talented and has shown real interest, as his last official visit is scheduled to UA on 11/7. So, we'll see.

Zigg, I don't think UA gets either Bragg (who I really like) or Boatwright (who I'm less high on).
I don't mean Zimmerman. You have premium, you should know :mrgreen:
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Wellcome, ziggman---great to see you back!

I see us waiting until maybe November and watching the temp on alternative choices Comanche and Bragg closely.

If they're both still available, which I would hope, then I think Sean goes Lute and puts the full press on Rabb------ "We're gonna win an NC with you! But we can't afford to wait till Spring for your commit, so we need you to assure yourself a big, big League future right now. We love you, man!"

If an unlikely no IR deal in November, make big plays on Zimm, Comanche, Bragg and take one. Either of them puts us squarely in the NC chase.

I love Comanche and Bragg, but I think Zimmerman would be a terrific catch. He looked just great on the USA team throughout the tournament and I thought was right in there with Johnson, Winslow, Trier and Tyus as most important players. Strong, punchy, smart play every minute. If there's controversy about Zimm's potential, I don't see it.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I have a friend saying Trier has verbally committed and an announcement is coming soon. This individual has never dropped any info of any sort regarding the basketball team, so I'm suspicious. Came here to feel the situation out so I can go back and tell my buddy to F off or thank him for the scoop.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gary Randazzo from Wildcats Sports Report just said on 1290 that Trier is a heavy Arizona lean.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Seriously considering buying a small cool place maybe 7-900 sq feet of loft space, completely renovate it as a cool design project for myself ( are there places like this in Tucson around the downtown/Congress area? )and use it during basketball season. Stoked!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CBCat wrote:
Seriously considering buying a small cool place maybe 7-900 sq feet of loft space, completely renovate it as a cool design project for myself ( are there places like this in Tucson around the downtown/Congress area? )and use it during basketball season. Stoked!
there has to be right now. plenty of that kinda stuff around now as far as i know. and it's hoppin downtown. was down there last night around 9 pm and the streetcar was packed and it was bumper to bumper traffic everywhere and all the restaurants were full...and the students aren't even in town.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

CBCat wrote:
That would be awesome.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

thenewazcats wrote:I have a friend saying Trier has verbally committed and an announcement is coming soon. This individual has never dropped any info of any sort regarding the basketball team, so I'm suspicious. Came here to feel the situation out so I can go back and tell my buddy to F off or thank him for the scoop.
that friend is smart. thank him for the scoop
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:I don't mean Zimmerman. You have premium, you should know :mrgreen:
Well, you were too cryptic for even me I guess. Caleb Swanigan. Also, Tyler Davis to an extent.
EOCT wrote:If an unlikely no IR deal in November, make big plays on Zimm, Comanche, Bragg and take one. Either of them puts us squarely in the NC chase.

I love Comanche and Bragg, but I think Zimmerman would be a terrific catch. He looked just great on the USA team throughout the tournament and I thought was right in there with Johnson, Winslow, Trier and Tyus as most important players. Strong, punchy, smart play every minute. If there's controversy about Zimm's potential, I don't see it.
Ivan Rabb is UA's #1 recruiting priority regardless of class, and Miller won't do anything to jeopardize that, even if he has to wait until spring as most signs indicate.

As for Zimmerman, there is some split in opinion (on the boards at least) as to how good he really is, and how much of a fit he really is. Miller keeps recruiting Zimmerman, and he's scheduled an official visit in November, so he is a priority, but how much of a priority remains to be seen, especially if someone else besides Rabb commits before then.
thenewazcats wrote:I have a friend saying Trier has verbally committed and an announcement is coming soon. This individual has never dropped any info of any sort regarding the basketball team, so I'm suspicious. Came here to feel the situation out so I can go back and tell my buddy to F off or thank him for the scoop.
The proper response is neither. F your friend, even if ends up being right. :)
CBCat wrote:
Zillow is your friend. I can say there are a number of 700-900 sq ft places in the downtown area, not many of them (if any) are for sale though (rather rent), and even less of them are what one would consider "loft space"(many are just small cottages or duplex units). Check along 15th street, both on 4th Ave & 6th Ave for those loft-type spaces.

Would love to have a crash pad down there now.
dcZONAfan wrote:that friend is smart. thank him for the scoop
I mean, sure, if you want to be magnanimous about the whole deal, but that's not really necessary ...
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Briscoe breaks a bone in his foot and his father thinks he's staying back east.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-joh ... s-st-johns

Briscoe, a crafty guard able to finish at many different angles, has narrowed his list to seven schools. His father, George, says he is likely to stay local, meaning that Seton Hall (with his friend Isaiah Whitehead), Rutgers, and St. John's all have a chance to land Briscoe. If not them, it's "one or two schools," says his father; the smart money, if you're a bettor, would be on Arizona being one of those schools.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Gary Randazzo from Wildcats Sports Report just said on 1290 that Trier is a heavy Arizona lean.

Trier hasn't committed . . . yet.

Hearing it will happen soon. Like really soon.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

simon
smith
trier
anderson (off redshirt)
+comanche (hopefully)
+rabb (hopefully)
=
a young but still top 5ish team in 2015.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:simon
smith
trier
anderson (off redshirt)
+comanche (hopefully)
+rabb (hopefully)
=
#1 recruiting class in the nation

Sick talent & depth

It could be a thing of beauty...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
smith
trier
anderson (off redshirt)
+comanche (hopefully)
+rabb (hopefully)
=

Sick talent & depth

could've fooled me...on the rivals basketball board no one seems convinced (mainly kentucky and kansas fans) that that would be a #1 class.

more people should be on the rivals basketball board, there is a dearth of arizona fans. it's basically half kentucky with some duke, kansas and unc fans thrown in.

https://collegebasketball.rivals.com/fo ... 94&style=2

ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
smith
trier
anderson (off redshirt)
+comanche (hopefully)
+rabb (hopefully)
=

Sick talent & depth

could've fooled me...on the rivals basketball board no one seems convinced (mainly kentucky and kansas fans) that that would be a #1 class.

more people should be on the rivals basketball board, there is a dearth of arizona fans. it's basically half kentucky with some duke, kansas and unc fans thrown in.

An abundance of UNLV fans frequent those boards. I can't deal with them personally.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
smith
trier
anderson (off redshirt)
+comanche (hopefully)
+rabb (hopefully)
=

Sick talent & depth

Honestly the only class that I think challenges for #1 with that is UCLA and a possible Brown, Bragg, Zimmermann, and Holliday or whatever class.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CBCat wrote:
there has to be right now. plenty of that kinda stuff around now as far as i know. and it's hoppin downtown. was down there last night around 9 pm and the streetcar was packed and it was bumper to bumper traffic everywhere and all the restaurants were full...and the students aren't even in town.
Thanks. I was there for the weekend Spring Fling and the football scrimmage. First time in many many years I stayed over in Tucson. This is what I'm thinking too. I love that little "barrio neighborhood" and that is very close to Congress and all those old "wherehouse buildings."
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Reydituto wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:I don't mean Zimmerman. You have premium, you should know :mrgreen:
Well, you were too cryptic for even me I guess. Caleb Swanigan. Also, Tyler Davis to an extent.
EOCT wrote:If an unlikely no IR deal in November, make big plays on Zimm, Comanche, Bragg and take one. Either of them puts us squarely in the NC chase.

Ivan Rabb is UA's #1 recruiting priority regardless of class, and Miller won't do anything to jeopardize that, even if he has to wait until spring as most signs indicate.

As for Zimmerman, there is some split in opinion (on the boards at least) as to how good he really is, and how much of a fit he really is. Miller keeps recruiting Zimmerman, and he's scheduled an official visit in November, so he is a priority, but how much of a priority remains to be seen, especially if someone else besides Rabb commits before then.
The proper response is neither. F your friend, even if ends up being right. :)
CBCat wrote:
Zillow is your friend. I can say there are a number of 700-900 sq ft places in the downtown area, not many of them (if any) are for sale though (rather rent), and even less of them are what one would consider "loft space"(many are just small cottages or duplex units). Check along 15th street, both on 4th Ave & 6th Ave for those loft-type spaces.

Would love to have a crash pad down there now.
dcZONAfan wrote:that friend is smart. thank him for the scoop
I mean, sure, if you want to be magnanimous about the whole deal, but that's not really necessary ...
Rey, thank you for that information!!!
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

So, IF it happens, when do you think the 2 year minimum rule might be instituted. Be really nice if it happened for this class. :D

Miller is a recruiting beast!!

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

No commits today? Come on!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any idea on when Rabb, Comanche, and Zimmerman are gonna make their decisions?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Any idea on when Rabb, Comanche, and Zimmerman are gonna make their decisions?
Rabb and Zimmerman in the spring. Comanche will be fairly soon. I'm thinking definitely before the season starts.