15-16 recruiting class

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: 15-16 recruiting class

Post by NYCat »

luteformayor2 wrote: What the fuck is going on and how can we our anyone help?
Read 2nd half of pg. 16 - 17, on TOS discussion thread.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

NYCat wrote:
What thread??
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:
NYCat wrote:
What thread??

http://prodigaleyelid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I've talked with 97 personally on the issue. It's a lot more than I will mention. It's ugly and I don't blame him one bit for stepping back. There's much more in life.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

JMarkJohns wrote:I've talked with 97 personally on the issue. It's a lot more than I will mention. It's ugly and I don't blame him one bit for stepping back. There's much more in life.
I finally decided to Google Ace. The front page search results are a litany of restraining order articles, drug related articles, and the occasional PGU reference.

I'm confused as to why this person is allowed to affiliate himself with the UofA (kinda), and why people (some) seem to enjoy what he spits out.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So how much do you think this years games against UNLV and CAL weigh in on the recruitment of Zimm and Rabb?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not much, probably.

In my experience watching Arizona recruit bigs over the years, especially true 5s, a helluva lot of crazy factors go into getting these guys. Most of which Lute had no patience for.

Not saying Miller won't get his man, but just saying that highly-rated true centers are the high school quarterbacks of college hoops recruiting. They've almost been conditioned to be self-centered, at least above Lute's concept of team--and even, I suspect, Miller's--by senior year of HS.

Hope I'm wrong with at least one of the three we're looking at, but it's far too easy for seven-foot five-star recruits to be prima donnas.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Heard Rabb's leaning toward Cal, not sure why. Any thoughts?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

luteformayor2 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I'm going to be unpopularly blunt.

People need to stop being selfish. Maybe you don't know the shit being a message board insider has brought to the doorsteps of 97s family, but it isn't pretty, nor is it our place to demand he leave solace to pop in to give us am update, likely starting more shit.

When the dust settles, I'm optimistic we'll hear from him.

But until then, while I know he appreciates all the requests, he's not going to answer them. Please respect that. It's unfair for all he's done not to.
What the fuck is going on and how can we our anyone help?

One of these days Ace is going to cross the wrong person and end up with a couple of broken legs. To tell you the truth I am surprised it hasn't happened already. Besides his drug dealing convictions, his LV mortgage dealings looking a little suspect, but his harassing Scheer, and now 97 is a bad karma and someone not as nice as Scheer and 97 may take Ace's harassment a little more personally.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Not much, probably.

In my experience watching Arizona recruit bigs over the years, especially true 5s, a helluva lot of crazy factors go into getting these guys. Most of which Lute had no patience for.

Not saying Miller won't get his man, but just saying that highly-rated true centers are the high school quarterbacks of college hoops recruiting. They've almost been conditioned to be self-centered, at least above Lute's concept of team--and even, I suspect, Miller's--by senior year of HS.

Hope I'm wrong with at least one of the three we're looking at, but it's far too easy for seven-foot five-star recruits to be prima donnas.
Any highly rated recruit is the same.

Read George Dohrmann's Play Their Hearts Out. It's an ugly business, and it's no wonder a lot of kids wind up with an utterly skewed perspective on life.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

As of right now one of Arizona's 2016 Targets is off the market in Jackson from Findlay Prep.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recru ... in-jackson
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Ivan Rabb. A wonderful talent who will be nabbed in the lottery after one year of college ball.

Build a team around him? Sure. If you're fortunate enough to attract some terrific talent to go with him in '15-----yeah, with great coaching you hopefully have a top 25 team. For one year.

Build a team around a one-and-done like Ivan in the traditional sense---meaning a team which could grow into a top 10 over several years? No. That's in the past in our era of one-and-dones.

I've got really mixed feelings commenting on a student's invite to attend a wonderful school. I love Cal. I strongly believe players should be student-athletes wherever they go.

Thinking about Ivan, I can't help making Ivan's question personal and legitimate. So the question is what I would tell my Son? (I have four.) Answer---"Make the best decision for your career. Go with a proven exceptional Coach who can best insure your financial future. Someone who can maximize your skills as you play against elite competition in front of a national audience. A coach who is leading one of the several top 5 team probabilities for '15".

"Then finish your career in good or bad health with wealth and get back to school. Quick."

If Ivan were a three or four year year college probability(with undefined NBA potential) I'd advise him "Go to Harvard, Chicago, Yale, Wharton, Stanford or maybe Cal if you have a chance".
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Cal was the first school to give Ted Kaczynski a job. Just sayin'... you can do better, Ivan.

Of course Geraldo opening Capone's vault... sheesh.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I read somewhere that we stopped recruiting Carlton Bragg. Any other word on this?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:I read somewhere that we stopped recruiting Carlton Bragg. Any other word on this?
It is a Miller specialty. Recruit a redundant talent to ideal target, pick up recruitment until said player mentions you, then inexplicably drop said player as a show of good faith to ideal, so you can stress he's the only (PF) your recruiting.

Last failed in Cameron Chatman/Paul White recruitment a year ago.

Hopefully works better this year with Rabb.

Swanigan and Zimmerman are Cs.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

JMarkJohns wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:I read somewhere that we stopped recruiting Carlton Bragg. Any other word on this?
It is a Miller specialty. Recruit a redundant talent to ideal target, pick up recruitment until said player mentions you, then inexplicably drop said player as a show of good faith to ideal, so you can stress he's the only (PF) your recruiting.

Last failed in Cameron Chatman/Paul White recruitment a year ago.

Hopefully works better this year with Rabb.

Swanigan and Zimmerman are Cs.
Yes. Never had figured this out. Thanks, JMJ!

Maybe another benefit of "the strategy": If the redundant talent, now seeing his recruitment has stopped, gets nervous his ideal spot is disappearing and then reaches out to us(as in indicating he'd commit right now)------ then we'd have an interesting decision to make, with a great bird tentatively in the hand.

All said, I think Bragg is a terrific talent only a small margin below Mr. Rabb. I still sense if Coach had an actual choice between the two he'd opt for the player he projects as best for team chemistry on and off the wood. I think they're that close. I bet many of you---maybe most----would differ.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Thanks JMJ. Hope it works this time.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Caleb Swanigan will be at the Red/Blue game. I know it would be a shocker but any chance he could commit before he goes home next weekend?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote:Caleb Swanigan will be at the Red/Blue game. I know it would be a shocker but any chance he could commit before he goes home next weekend?
I doubt it. Scheer was on 1290 today and said he will probably wait until spring and not even sign an LOI.
-JB
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Caleb Swanigan will be at the Red/Blue game. I know it would be a shocker but any chance he could commit before he goes home next weekend?
I doubt it. Scheer was on 1290 today and said he will probably wait until spring and not even sign an LOI.
I think he's Michigan State's to lose.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I think he said TJ Leaf, Caleb would most likely be there for the Red/Blue Game with an outside chance of Ivan being there. Scheer's take on Rabb was interesting. He pretty much said Rabb doesnt have a clue when it comes to his own recruitment.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So your telling me there is a chance for Caleb Swanigan! It's our first prediction in ages on 247sports!

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Book doin work
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

3goggles wrote:So your telling me there is a chance for Caleb Swanigan! It's our first prediction in ages on 247sports!

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions
2 predictions in a row have Caleb going to tucson. We are up to 10% chance now. Watch out boys here comes CSM. Lets clean up with Caleb & Big Zimm!
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm not the guru here, but when I see Caleb, I see a more nimble Joseph Blair. I'm fine with that.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Interview with Rabb.
"PGU: Have you been in contact with any former or current Arizona players? What have you talked about?

Rabb: I talked to Aaron Gordon. He told me to at least take a visit and that I would have the time of my life. He said that I wouldn’t want to leave. He said every game is on TV, the fans are the best in the country and every game is a sell out.

PGU: Will you visit for the Red/Blue game still?

Rabb: They would like me to, but I would rather visit when they have a regular season game, possibly the ASU game.

PGU: Do you think Arizona will make your top 5?

Rabb: Yes.

PGU: Do you have a top 5 yet?

Rabb: Not yet. I’ve been busy lately with SAT prep and school obligations but I will be cutting my list very soon."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder why the ASU game? They are not our basketball rival.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I wonder why the ASU game? They are not our basketball rival.
ASU is early (Jan. 4th), so I'm guessing it probably doesn't conflict with his high school team's schedule at all.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ugh, I can't help but hate the fact that PGU contacts our recruits.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

The whole process makes me want to shower. SAT prep and school obligations agaiinst the backdrop of One and Done. Strange times.
Right where I want to be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

gumby wrote:The whole process makes me want to shower. SAT prep and school obligations agaiinst the backdrop of One and Done. Strange times.
May not be the worst part of coaching, but probably makes the short list.

Go Cats!!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Did anybody see any of the recruits making there visits at the Red Blue game and how they went?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I sat right across from these guys yesterday. I didn't recognize anyone else at the game. There was a really tall white kid sitting a few seats down from these guys. Maybe the guy from Corona Del Sol?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote:I sat right across from these guys yesterday. I didn't recognize anyone else at the game. There was a really tall white kid sitting a few seats down from these guys. Maybe the guy from Corona Del
Probably T.J. Leaf
-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

3goggles wrote:Interview with Rabb.
"PGU: Have you been in contact with any former or current Arizona players? What have you talked about?

Rabb: I talked to Aaron Gordon. He told me to at least take a visit and that I would have the time of my life. He said that I wouldn’t want to leave. He said every game is on TV, the fans are the best in the country and every game is a sell out.

PGU: Will you visit for the Red/Blue game still?

Rabb: They would like me to, but I would rather visit when they have a regular season game, possibly the ASU game.

PGU: Do you think Arizona will make your top 5?

Rabb: Yes.

PGU: Do you have a top 5 yet?

Rabb: Not yet. I’ve been busy lately with SAT prep and school obligations but I will be cutting my list very soon."
The part in bold above doesn't sound all that bullish. Kinda like the headhunter who urges "Take a trip out to see their facility and visit with leadership - you have nothing to lose" when he senses you aren't really interested in the job he is pitching.

Can't read too much into a quote like that, but it doesn't suggest we're in the pole position.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Can't read too much into it? Sure we can! What else is there to do in the meantime?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

So is there a top 5 update yet?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I'm not concerned one bit wrt our relationship with Rabb. I think he's simply playing it somewhat close to the vest right now. I can see how it would be annoying having so many people wondering and predicting when you're just trying to live your life and make a well-thought-out decision in the meantime.

But if we don't end up with Rabb because he thinks everyone good from the WC goes to AZ and it's almost cliche or expected than that is 1. Kinda weird and 2. A damn good problem to have!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

not yet

Ivan Rabb not ready to cut list yet

posted by Chris Haines on Oct 20, 2014
mercurynews.com

Ivan Rabb's high school coach said last week that Rabb would cut his list to 5 this past weekend, but it turns out that e wants to wait until his in-home visit with UNC before cutting his list and scheduling his official visits. Rabb is the composite #6 ranked player in the class of 2015.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2014/10/20/70 ... t-list-yet
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

From Pascoe:
Recruits feel right at home at Red-Blue Game

Justin Simon and Ray Smith both visited the Arizona campus twice before last weekend, but the place felt different when the high school seniors showed up this time.

It was home. Their future home.

Smith, a forward from Las Vegas who committed to the Wildcats in July, knew it after he sat down in the comfy new McKale Center seats before Saturday’s Red-Blue Game, when friendly fans began to approach him to ask how he and his injured knee were doing.

Simon, a guard from Temecula, California, who committed in May, knew it the moment he arrived in town from New Hampshire’s Brewster Academy.

“It was great,” Simon said by telephone Tuesday. “I felt a lot better knowing that I was going there. It was just a really good family environment.”

Simon and Smith spent the weekend attending UA workouts, hanging out with the current Wildcats and coaches, dining at Mr. An’s and watching the Red-Blue festivities. They also spent time with UA recruiting targets Caleb Swanigan (a 2015 center), T.J. Leaf (a 2016 forward) and Marvin Bagley III (a 2018 forward).

Smith said he spent the most time with UA freshman Stanley Johnson and graduate manager David Miller, while Simon also renewed a bond with Johnson from when they played together years ago in Southern California. Simon also hung out with senior guard T.J. McConnell, juniors Kadeem Allen and Gabe York, and freshmen Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Dusan Ristic.

“I’ve really gotten to know the whole team,” Simon said. “Coach (Sean) Miller does a great job of recruiting great guys, and we’re really close. It should be fun.”

But it wasn’t just the players and coaches with whom they bonded. Smith found that out at McKale Center.

“It was amazing,” he said. “I thought the fans were really outgoing, and they knew who I was, so that was pretty cool.”

It was so much fun that it was, well, frustrating. Smith still has a few more months of rehabilitating his knee until he can get out on the court, then about six months after that until he can graduate from high school and arrive in Tucson.

That’s a long time for somebody that anxious.

“I can’t wait, man,” Smith said. “I just can’t.”

For now, though, Smith has no choice.

He is still going in three times a week to rehabilitate the ACL he tore in July with Las Vegas physical therapist Scott Pensivy. While his rehabilitation is on schedule, he won’t return to the court until at least January or February, and he remains uncertain if he will be able to finish out his final season at Las Vegas High School.

“Of course I want to play,” Smith said. “What player doesn’t want to play? But I have to be smart about it. We’re going to make sure I’m ready physically and mentally.”

Simon also has plenty to do before he arrives in Tucson. He transferred clear across the country for his senior year, from Temecula Valley High School to Brewster, meaning he’s making major adjustments in lifestyle, climate, culture and academics.

Brewster won’t even start practicing until Nov. 2, Simon said, but he’s OK with that.

“It’s really getting me ready for college and preparing me the right way,” Simon said.

Basketball, and their Arizona Wildcats careers, will have to wait for both Simon and Smith. At least for now.
http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 20dd9.html
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:Can't read too much into it? Sure we can! What else is there to do in the meantime?
Personally, I can read too much into just about any quote. It's a talent.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Leaf cancelled his trip to Duke
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ZONACAT wrote:Leaf cancelled his trip to Duke
Some Duke coeds must have snapchatted him nude pics.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Are we leading for Leaf? Maybe just in the mix?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Beachcat97 wrote:Are we leading for Leaf? Maybe just in the mix?
According to good ol 247sports we lead with TJ. Take that how you want to take it!
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Interesting read on Zimm's visit at UCLA: http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/14733 ... -ucla?s=75

HORSE in the driveway. Good stuff. Zimm identifies with Coach A? Interesting. Don't know what to make of that. Nice thought.

Zimm and Mom come to see us on an official on 11-7. Game with the Buffs on a nice night, a week after hopefully getting after a certain school the previous week on the turf. Like the feel of this. Yes, a terrific Tucson experience and clear honest picture of the objective factors relating to best prepping Zimm and his game for the League. The great family stuff is with us, too----Coach Miller and Coach Book are extraordinary individuals---but the calculus for Zimm's development is the subject.

I'm an outlier on the subject, but I feel we have the supporting resources to go very deep in March with any one(or even none) of our C candidates.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Smoke with Leaf apparently according to Bossi at Rivals
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ZONACAT wrote:Smoke with Leaf
Heh, clever...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Leaf is smarter than Ryan, right?