15-16 recruiting class

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 15-16 recruiting class

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Any idea on when Rabb, Comanche, and Zimmerman are gonna make their decisions?
Rabb and Zimmerman in the spring. Comanche will be fairly soon. I'm thinking definitely before the season starts.
If we add Comanche and Rabb, things are ideal. One makes for a great situation if Ristic/Victor stay.

I would never bet against Sean Miller.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Who are our biggest competitors for Comanche? Any indication that he's an AZ lean?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Who are our biggest competitors for Comanche? Any indication that he's an AZ lean?
UCLA, Oregon, Georgetown, UConn.

Definitely an Arizona lean, in my opinion. But who isn't? :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Any idea on when Rabb, Comanche, and Zimmerman are gonna make their decisions?
Rabb and Zimmerman in the spring. Comanche will be fairly soon. I'm thinking definitely before the season starts.
Pretty sure Zimm is signing in the fall.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I am watching Adidas nations and the commentators are slobbering all over Alford's dick!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Amazing to me that Briscoe has us in his final 5. I mean, he is a great player, but a bit of a duplicate with Trier. Not that I wouldn't gladly take them both...I just thought maybe the news of Trier's commit so closely proximate to Briscoe's cut would see us with a "thanks, but no thanks" elimination.

Further testament to the power of Miller. Kids can't quit him. Hopefully Briscoe sees the very real chance of a 3 guard lineup if the best of the best are PG/SG/SG, and is willing to come where he actually wants to go and either fight for a position or to add a position.

I don't think we get him...but I still think it is quite a statement that we are still in his mix.

Then full court press to get Thornton, Jr. in 2016 and let's be Point Guard U a different way...just have all the point guards :)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

No offense to Briscoe. He's a great player and seems like a good kid, but I don't want him now. We already have three 5-star perimeter players in this class. Need to save some spots for the bigs.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Love that he's still interested in Tucson. Miller's magic at work.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Nice endorsement for Book!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:No offense to Briscoe. He's a great player and seems like a good kid, but I don't want him now. We already have three 5-star perimeter players in this class. Need to save some spots for the bigs.
This. There's a limit to how many guards you can bring in, especially when you theoretically have PJC, York, Allen and Pitts all returning. Right now, we might be able to go 7 deep in the backcourt. Ray is probably more a 3, but that still leaves 6.

Locking down Rabb is the big, big deal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:Nice endorsement for Book!
This is great, but is there anyone who really thinks this guy will be a Wildcat? Seems like a longshot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
This is great, but is there anyone who really thinks this guy will be a Wildcat? Seems like a longshot.
There are positives even if there's little chance (and there seems to be little chance). Positive feedback from top recruits who probably aren't even going here just solidifies Arizona as a mandatory consideration for top recruits. The buzz around our program is all positive.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:

What does Ace say?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

What does Ace say?
That his premium forum had ZimmerMom saying this a month ago.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is the general feeling that Zimmerman is a one and done player? Seems like a tough call right now.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Big man would make UA's 2015 class elite

9 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Arizona busted out of the recruiting gate this summer to grab arguably the top class of 2015 basketball players in the country so far.

If they land a highly rated big man, the Wildcats might also finish with the top class.

Arizona “could have the best recruiting class in the country if it got Allonzo Trier, Ray Smith and Justin Simon and one or two other guys,” said Clark Francis, publisher of the Hoop Scoop recruiting service. “If they get Ivan Rabb, that’s a top one, two or three recruiting class.”

“We definitely have two top classes at this stage,” Gershon said.

Of their final targets, UA appears to be in better shape with Comanche than Zimmerman, but both of them have set official visits to Arizona this fall. In addition, Gershon said, Rabb told him he would probably visit UA for the Oct. 18 Red-Blue Game.

“My belief is that they probably lead for Comanche,” Gershon said. “I think heading into (Zimmerman’s) visit, I wouldn’t guess that Arizona is the team to beat by any means. But that being said, whenever you get a kid on campus, you have a shot.”

“I think the focus is on Rabb and Comanche,” Meyer said. “They might be able to work it out where they could take both. I think Rabb is the No. 1, maybe 1A and Comanche is 1B. (Arizona) really likes Comanche’s upside, and he’ll be there more than one year. Rabb is a one-and-done anyway.

http://tucson.com/sports/big-man-would- ... 36c9a.html
Last edited by HiCat on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sonora919

Post by Sonora919 »

Considering all three of Trier, Simon and Smith should be in Tucson for at least two years, I'm really hopeful Rabb decides to come. Having all thsoe returners makes losing a a one and done much easier to absorb. Even at one year he instantly makes us a title contender with the talent that surrounds him. If we were to get Comanche instead, we'd still be super strong, but it seems the sum of the parts would have to be a little bit greater than what we're looking at on paper with Rabb. Then you throw in Zimmerman... crazy options here. Worst case scenario? None of them come and we take a 4 star PF or C to mix with Victor, Anderson and Ristic. Definitely a good WCS to be looking at.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sonora919 wrote:Considering all three of Trier, Simon and Smith should be in Tucson for at least two years, I'm really hopeful Rabb decides to come. Having all thsoe returners makes losing a a one and done much easier to absorb. Even at one year he instantly makes us a title contender with the talent that surrounds him. If we were to get Comanche instead, we'd still be super strong, but it seems the sum of the parts would have to be a little bit greater than what we're looking at on paper with Rabb. Then you throw in Zimmerman... crazy options here. Worst case scenario? None of them come and we take a 4 star PF or C to mix with Victor, Anderson and Ristic. Definitely a good WCS to be looking at.
Probably 2-3 out of Simon Smith trier and rabb are 1 and drones.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You realize just how few players are actually one and dones? No way. Absolutely no way Smith or Simon leave after a year unless they're disgruntled. Rabb probably, but the NBA would be drafting on potential there, because he's way too slender for the League right now, and he doesn't have a frame like AG or Stanley. Trier? Who knows? He's an explosive scorer in high school, but how often does that translate directly to a freshman in D1?

Keep in mind that people are saying the 2015 class is pretty weak at the top. I saw somewhere, that outside of Ben Simmons, none of the top guys, Rabb included, would make the top 10-15 of the year before or after. I have no idea if that's truth or exaggeration, but if it's even remotely true, then the chances of one and done drop even further.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:You realize just how few players are actually one and dones? No way. Absolutely no way Smith or Simon leave after a year unless they're disgruntled. Rabb probably, but the NBA would be drafting on potential there, because he's way too slender for the League right now, and he doesn't have a frame like AG or Stanley. Trier? Who knows? He's an explosive scorer in high school, but how often does that translate directly to a freshman in D1?

Keep in mind that people are saying the 2015 class is pretty weak at the top. I saw somewhere, that outside of Ben Simmons, none of the top guys, Rabb included, would make the top 10-15 of the year before or after. I have no idea if that's truth or exaggeration, but if it's even remotely true, then the chances of one and done drop even further.
completely agree. There is literally 0 chance Smith, coming off of an ACL tear, and Simon (probably won't even crack our rotation as a freshman) will sniff the NBA right away. Smith should make the league if he continues to develop the way he has over the last year and comes back fully healthy, but let's not assume that a 5* next to a guy's name is a connotation for soon to be in the NBA.

I'm hoping Simon can be a big impact Junior and Senior, anything else would be gravy IMO.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Besides Silver wants to raise the NBA draft age, which most college coaches support. If they get the buyoff with the players union then one and dones are a thing of the past.

Never did understand the resistance from the player's union. Having a smaller draft pool means that some old dues paying vet gets to keep his job for another year.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Smith is the best athlete, but injured
Simon the most intriguing size for skills, but is least athletic
Trier is most skilled, but only average explosion

My guess:

1 year: Rabb
2 year: Trier
3 year: Smith
4 year: Simon/Comanche

Josh likened Simon in level of skill and athleticism to Solomon Hill. He could leave after 2/3 just cause, but of them, Simon probably has the most work to do skills-wise. Needs to improve shooting, tendency to over-penetrate, and spacial recognition against ever quickening defenders. Lots to do and adjust to.

Smith was being mentioned as a likely top-10 prospect prior to setback. If his ACL is fully healed, his jumper was already average, and his athleticism was NBA quality. I could see him go as a sophomore, but I think Pitts claims starting SF role in 2015, with Smith as primary 15-20 mpg backup as underclassman and then start as a Junior.

Trier likely will look after year 1, and if the draft isn't strong, he'll likely go if a 1st. But he has a good head on his shoulder and a strong support system, so I could see him returning for a second year.

Rabb will be 1/done short of a new rule, regardless of how skinny.

Comanche will be a three year player minimum, likely 4 year.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Top NBA prospects in Class of 2015
I just got home from attending most of the big events in the July recruiting period -- a time where the top high school players have a chance to be seen for a dozen days in the month by all the college coaches.

NBA guys were also allowed to get a look at some of the top high school players at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Las Vegas early in the month.

We talked to some NBA guys in attendance, college coaches and also used what I saw throughout the month to come up with 12 players who have high NBA potential in the Class of 2015 (eligible for the 2016 NBA draft).

10. Ray Smith, 6-7, 185, SF, Las Vegas High
College: Arizona Wildcats

He tore his ACL early in July, so few got a chance to really see him. However, those that have seen him ooze at his potential. He’s long, athletic and is a more than capable shooter. One observer said he is a more advanced DeMarre Carroll at the same stage in terms of how he scores. Smith also considered UConn, but opted to commit to Arizona just days after suffering the knee injury that could put him on the shelf for most, if not all of his senior season.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-go ... st?id=3936

Ray comes back healthy we're not going to have him long
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Arizona has been in with Rabb as top priority in this class before any other school. Any other program is going to have to prove why he should go there before Tucson.

That's how I see it and that's why I'm not worried about the competition. Miller will get his man, and Comanche. Question to me is, does Rabb bolt after one year regardless of Arizona's finish?

I think how Ristic handles his time behind Zeus and/or Korcheck this season will speak volumes as to how this program can accommodate multiple four-star bigs. If anybody can stack 'em and keep 'em happy, it's Miller.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

JMarkJohns wrote:Smith is the best athlete, but injured
Simon the most intriguing size for skills, but is least athletic
Trier is most skilled, but only average explosion

My guess:

1 year: Rabb
2 year: Trier
3 year: Smith
4 year: Simon/Comanche

Josh likened Simon in level of skill and athleticism to Solomon Hill. He could leave after 2/3 just cause, but of them, Simon probably has the most work to do skills-wise. Needs to improve shooting, tendency to over-penetrate, and spacial recognition against ever quickening defenders. Lots to do and adjust to.

Smith was being mentioned as a likely top-10 prospect prior to setback. If his ACL is fully healed, his jumper was already average, and his athleticism was NBA quality. I could see him go as a sophomore, but I think Pitts claims starting SF role in 2015, with Smith as primary 15-20 mpg backup as underclassman and then start as a Junior.

Trier likely will look after year 1, and if the draft isn't strong, he'll likely go if a 1st. But he has a good head on his shoulder and a strong support system, so I could see him returning for a second year.

Rabb will be 1/done short of a new rule, regardless of how skinny.

Comanche will be a three year player minimum, likely 4 year.
You really think Pitts is a future starter at the 3 spot for Arizona? Pending on a Smith full recovery there's just no way I can see that happening.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Pitts is a shooting guard for the rest of his career whose only time at the 3 will be if TJ and Stanley/York are the other two guards.

Hopefully part of all that hard work he put in this summer was on his ballhandling, because he's pretty much tied to his position unless he starts showing more as a point guard down the road.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:You realize just how few players are actually one and dones? No way. Absolutely no way Smith or Simon leave after a year unless they're disgruntled. Rabb probably, but the NBA would be drafting on potential there, because he's way too slender for the League right now, and he doesn't have a frame like AG or Stanley. Trier? Who knows? He's an explosive scorer in high school, but how often does that translate directly to a freshman in D1?

This. I love Rabb's potential, but he is really the only one I could think would pose a risk. Smith has the most upside, but coming off the injury, it would be way early to consider him a potential one and done.

I don't think there's any real chance one and done goes away until the next NBA CBA too. Expecting that to help us out is probably fools gold BC the NBA almost never makes a dramatic change prior to the point the CBA forces a renegotiation.

I desperately want to make a Wildcat out of Ivan Rabb.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

The precentage keeps falling and peoples predictions keep changing!

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:

completely agree. There is literally 0 chance Smith, coming off of an ACL tear, and Simon (probably won't even crack our rotation as a freshman) will sniff the NBA right away. Smith should make the league if he continues to develop the way he has over the last year and comes back fully healthy, but let's not assume that a 5* next to a guy's name is a connotation for soon to be in the NBA.

I'm hoping Simon can be a big impact Junior and Senior, anything else would be gravy IMO.
Simon will potentially be a starter his first year as I see it. Considering we'll be losing McConnell, Johnson and possibly one of York or Pitts or Allen. Numbers dictate that Simon will quite possibly start next year (along with 2-3 of the other freshmen).
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Lets hope this guy isn't the next Daniel Dillon:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... roundup-3/
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Simon will potentially be a starter his first year as I see it. Considering we'll be losing McConnell, Johnson and possibly one of York or Pitts or Allen. Numbers dictate that Simon will quite possibly start next year (along with 2-3 of the other freshmen).
sorry but you're looking at the 5* next to his name. Everything I've heard is that he isn't even CLOSE to being ready to contribute in college
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote:Lets hope this guy isn't the next Daniel Dillon:

Lute had another Australian before Dillon, some big. Forgot his name, something like Bartlenoo. I think he transferred and disappeared.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:

Lute had another Australian before Dillon, some big. Forgot his name, something like Bartlenoo. I think he transferred and disappeared.
Marty Barmentloo
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Marty Barmentloo
Thanks 86, would give you rep if I could!

You can buy his game jersey for $25 plus shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-ARIZONA-BA ... 43cd7a9e33

About his time at Arizona:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/col ... 2843ca1df1

Barmentloo, pigeon-holed as a "training body" mainly dealt with Arziona's assistant coaches and not legendary head coach Lute Olson.

"The only time I went into his office was to tell him I was leaving," Barmentloo said.

"He was personable but it was clear to me my role was as a training body.

"It (college) didn't harm me but it also didn't progress my career basketball-wise."
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Met Marty in Cochise Hall. Friend was a resident assistant when I was a sophomore there. Talked him up.

He seemed honestly clueless about Lute and a lot of salient aspects of the program. Now I know why.

I don't understand why anyone would go all the way to Australia to recruit a "training body" when Andy Brown was contemporary evidence to prove the Pima pipeline was good enough. And hey, there was always walk-on bigs. Why Oz?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'd love to hear Herb's pitch of why Comanche should pick ASU over us. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl wrote: I'd love to hear Herb's pitch of why Comanche should pick ASU over us. :lol:

Only there to get a paid vacation and party!

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: I'd love to hear Herb's pitch of why Comanche should pick ASU over us. :lol:
The chance to play with Kodi Justice. Just play that highlight video again.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You don't "hear" Herb's pitch. You EXPERIENCE it... in the form of a 1/2 hour long coma-inducing PowerPoint presentation.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
You don't "hear" Herb's pitch. You EXPERIENCE it... in the form of a 1/2 hour long coma-inducing PowerPoint presentation.
This is the big closer:

beames

Post by beames »

I thought Herb played the kids polka music...
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

[youtube]FWP1pFYr4Iw[/youtube]
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Chicat wrote:
Do you think the pitch will take place in the "all purpose" room. Anybody got that picture? It most certainly deserves a place here on this new site.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone heard any news on Zimmerman? I'm assuming he won't commit till the spring.

I've assumed we're not at or near the top of his list, but 24/7 seems to think otherwise; not sure how credible that site is.

I wonder which way he's leaning.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Regarding Zimmerman a Kentucky writer thinks AZ still leads:

http://wildcatbluenation.com/2014/08/15 ... -matthews/
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Miller getting Zimmerman's last visit was huge. I wouldn't bet against him.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone heard any news on Zimmerman? I'm assuming he won't commit till the spring.

I've assumed we're not at or near the top of his list, but 24/7 seems to think otherwise; not sure how credible that site is.

I wonder which way he's leaning.

As far as a commitment date, Zimmerman recently told SNY.tv, "Just whenever I feel comfortable. If I feel really comfortable with a school tomorrow, I'll commit."

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... rman-visit

Sounds like Miller's right where Arizona needs to be?