How is this shaping up? Any new updates on Smith and Rabb
etank34

Re: 15-16 recruiting class

Post by etank34 »

Rabb is going to be a tough pull.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

@etank I thought we were right where we want to be with Rabb?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

3goggles wrote:@etank I thought we were right where we want to be with Rabb?
We're not there yet. I don't agree that he'll be that tough of a pull, but he's not a for sure thing at this point and for a guy deciding in the Spring that's just fine.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

for a while I thought we had Rabb in the bag, but now it appears that Roy Boy is in on things and that IR is seriously listening. if we land him we will have the #1 recruiting class, if we don't it will be a great class but still very disappointing.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

The rhetoric on the old forum suggested Rabb was leaning towards AZ, or at least was AZ's number one target and one that AZ had been working for quite some time. That all may still be the case even though he is exploring all of his options. Can you blame a kid for checking out Carolina? Hopefully Miller continues his trend of locking in the best from the west.
etank34

Post by etank34 »

It sounds like Rabb is not liking the constant rhetoric that he's destined to go to Arizona like several of the elite recruits from the Bay Area before him. He might want to blaze his own trail, so to speak. But Arizona being where it is geographically is a huge advantage to the other schools making a serious push.

Hopefully he'll realize there's a reason why Arizona is pulling so many of the elite recruits and the NBA draft haul that will be awaiting Arizona players after this season will make that more clear for him.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

I read something the other day that most feel like we're the leader for Smith. A class of Rabb, Smith, Dorsey, Simon and Comanche would just be insane.

Miller is a witch.
Last edited by UAGreg on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

etank34 wrote:It sounds like Rabb is not liking the constant rhetoric that he's destined to go to Arizona like several of the elite recruits from the Bay Area before him. He might want to blaze his own trail, so to speak. But Arizona being where it is geographically is a huge advantage to the other schools making a serious push.

Hopefully he'll realize there's a reason why Arizona is pulling so many of the elite recruits and the NBA draft haul that will be awaiting Arizona players after this season will make that more clear for him.
I think that the potential for Brash, Stanley, Rondae, and Zeus to all leave at the same time will be exactly what is needed to convince IR to come here. UNC doesn't necessarily have any bigs that are leaving for sure next year, and they have a pretty loaded frontcourt.

I hope Zeus will stay for his senior season, unless (and hopefully) we have a scenario where he blows up next year and is a clear cut top-20 pick. A senior Zeus with Rabb at the PF would be simply unfair.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

97 posted at AFO yesterday:
no effect -- Arizona has done a good job with Rabb so far.

he will take his time but in the end expect Arizona and Sean Miller to be right there
Arizona is right where it wants to be with Ray Smith
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

84Cat wrote:97 posted at AFO yesterday:
no effect -- Arizona has done a good job with Rabb so far.

he will take his time but in the end expect Arizona and Sean Miller to be right there
Arizona is right where it wants to be with Ray Smith
Thanks for the update. Nice to see some feedback from 97.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

UAGreg wrote:I read something the other day that most feel like we're the leader for Smith. A class of Rabb, Smith, Dorsey, Simon and Comanche would just be insane.

Miller is a witch.
the only way we don't get smith is if he pulls a kam chatman. he's a wildcat.

Rabb with Comanche as a "backup plan" (who could join even if Rabb comes too) would make the class simply unreal
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

what is AFO?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dcZONAfan wrote:what is AFO?
http://arizonafootballonline.net/forum/index.php

Pretty dead right now but 97 chimes in every once in a while.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ahhh gotcha
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

The UNC news that broke today can't help Roy's cause - that's for sure.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck UNC
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -eligibile
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/uncs-mccan ... d=24023238
McCants, who said it was common for basketball players to major in African-American Studies, said he assumed tutors writing papers for athletes was to be expected and he didn't question it while he attended UNC.

"I thought it was a part of the college experience, just like watching it on a movie from 'He Got Game' or 'Blue Chips,'" McCants said. "... when you get to college, you don't go to class, you don't do nothing, you just show up and play. That's exactly how it was, you know, and I think that was the tradition of college basketball, or college, period, any sport. You're not there to get an education, though they tell you that.

"You're there to make revenue for the college. You're there to put fans in the seats. You're there to bring prestige to the university by winning games."
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:The UNC news that broke today can't help Roy's cause - that's for sure.
true and I'm pretty sure Rabb's parents (mom, maybe?) are big on education (which is why he would even consider Georgetown). Not that it matters, he will be a OAD in all likelihood, but this can only help our position. I can't imagine a parent talking to Roy and not think "is this guy full of shit?" and then talking to Miller and thinking "this guy is a complete straight shooter". Let's hope that works to our advantage
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:The UNC news that broke today can't help Roy's cause - that's for sure.
That was percolating for a while. UNC is inches from the **** truly hitting the fan. Rabb should be the #1 priority, and maybe I'm spoiled, but when was the last time Miller missed on a #1 priority?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jason Scheer ‏@JasonScheer 6m

As he tweeted, Sean Miller offered 2015 guard Allonzo Trier tonight. No brainer offer IMO
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That was percolating for a while. UNC is inches from the **** truly hitting the fan. Rabb should be the #1 priority, and maybe I'm spoiled, but when was the last time Miller missed on a #1 priority?
Which is upsetting because any other institution and the janitors are already out trying to clean the fan.

But is the Carolina Way, can't go against that...
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We offered another guard?
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Simon
Trier
Smith
Rabb
Commanche
Anderson

Pretty damn awesome that even if there is a split with Dorsey that Miller can step in and get to the top of the list on a guy most would consider an upgrade.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

So long as Arizona ends this class with Sinon, Smith, Rabb or Comanche, I'm good. Legitimately adding a shot with Trier, or using Trier to send ripples through Dorsey's camp, or having that relationship with Briscoe, I don't really worry about the greatness of the class for Arizona beyond Rabb. But when did Arizona's top priority from Cal not end up at Arizona?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Top 50 Center Daniel Giddens announces today........Ohio State is the heavy favorite.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/7 ... da-georgia
Ih8assu

Post by Ih8assu »

Are we still interested in Derryck Thornton for '16? Haven't heard much about him recently and saw today he didn't mention us when asked who's coming at him hardest. I seem to remember '97 loving him and saying we had a great shot at him.
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Ih8assu wrote:Are we still interested in Derryck Thornton for '16? Haven't heard much about him recently and saw today he didn't mention us when asked who's coming at him hardest. I seem to remember '97 loving him and saying we had a great shot at him.
247.com says he is going to Michigan or UK, has us last.

http://247sports.com/Player/Derryck-Thornton-21542
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Ih8assu wrote:Are we still interested in Derryck Thornton for '16? Haven't heard much about him recently and saw today he didn't mention us when asked who's coming at him hardest. I seem to remember '97 loving him and saying we had a great shot at him.
We backed off of him a bit. We'll have a couple of young PGs on roster. Things could change though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Doesn't look like things are going to change on the Thornton recruitment: http://zagsblog.com/articles/seven-scho ... -thornton/
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Smith tears his ACL...........wonder if Miller will pull the offer?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/las ... -tears-acl
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any thing new on ivan rabb?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

dmjcat wrote:Smith tears his ACL...........wonder if Miller will pull the offer?

According to SI.com today, Smith is a Louisville commit. Nobody else has reported it.

Finally, after 2 1/2 weeks, I got logged in. What next? Lebron returns to Cleveland??
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Smith tears his ACL...........wonder if Miller will pull the offer?

According to SI.com today, Smith is a Louisville commit. Nobody else has reported it.

Finally, after 2 1/2 weeks, I got logged in. What next? Lebron returns to Cleveland??
Lol Smith sure as hell isn't a Louisville commit.

I doubt Miller pulls the offer. ACL tears aren't career enders anymore.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

As I said, nobody else is saying so, but SI did;

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... h-torn-acl
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They've got it wrong. And no, Miller will not pull the offer. But I would think there will be a wait and see approach to accepting a commitment.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ElGatoBlanco wrote: I doubt Miller pulls the offer. ACL tears aren't career enders anymore.
Shaun Livingston farts towards that mere suggestion.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Merkin wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote: I doubt Miller pulls the offer. ACL tears aren't career enders anymore.
Shaun Livingston farts towards that mere suggestion.
Way more than an ACL for Shaun;

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sha ... 3B18FB1F4B
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Rekwon Smith ‏@raysmith2297 19m

My high school has a saying once a wildcat always a wildcat. I guess it's true. I have committed to UofA #beardown
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looks like we will be getting a visit from Tyler Davis:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -notebook/

Tyler Davis has a strong day: The 2015 class is noted for its amount of elite big men, but Texas native and 6-foot-9 center Tyler Davis is right behind that five-star group.

Checking in at No. 34 in Rivals 2015 rankings, the four-star Davis is having a big Peach Jam, as he went for 36 points and 13 rebounds in a Friday morning loss before bouncing back with 17 points and 11 rebounds in a close win over the Southern Stampede.

When the wide-bodied big man gets position in the post — which he’s very good at doing — it’s nearly impossible to stop him because he owns a good set of hands and has pretty good footwork for a high school big man.

Davis is open in the recruiting process but told NBCSports.com that Kansas and Arizona
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Miller checking out Briscoe and Trier:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -vs-trier/

The most anticipated matchup of the day on Saturday featured two of the best guards in the country: Allonzo Trier and Isaiah Briscoe.

And no matter how you slice it, Trier won the battle. He finished with 42 points on the afternoon, hitting five threes and getting to the free throws line 20 times as Athletes First knocked off the N.J. Playaz in a thrilling and fun overtime game. Briscoe played well, notching 19 points and three assists as he sat out long stretches of the first half in an effort to save his legs for the night game.

There is a significance here, as both players are being pursued heavily by Arizona and just so happen to occupy essentially the same position. That means the Wildcats will likely end up with whoever they decide is the better of the two, so it should come as no surprise that Sean Miller was sitting front and center for this one.

There is one important stat to keep in mind before thinking that Trier’s performance locks him into a scholarship to Arizona: he was 10-for-30 from the floor and also shot those 20 free throws while adding just a single assist. Some of that is a result of the team that he plays on in the EYBL — he HAS to take a lot of shots if they are going to be competitive — but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s a scorer that needs the ball in his hands.

Briscoe needs the ball as well, but he’s a more well-rounded lead guard. He’s an excellent passer, to the point that some scouts believe his true position is as a point guard at the college level. He is strong with the ball and capable of making a play in the post. He’s not the best athlete in the country, but he’s got long arms and massive hands. Think Wichita State’s Ron Baker.

The thing to remember is this: Arizona already has a commitment from Justin Simon, another five-star combo-guard, in the Class of 2015 and has point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright joining the program this season. Regardless of who — if either — they end up with, the
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Here's a look at the Trier/Briscoe match up :

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/403777
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Watching Briscoe at the EYBL. Not impressed with his shot selection. Strong moves to the basket though. I like his determination and defense when he chooses to turn it on. The shot selection is easily fixed at the next level. Would rather have Trier over him, but if they want to play together, I would love to see them both in a 'cats uniform.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

5. I think Arizona ends up with the No. 1 class in 2015: Sean Miller has dominated the West Coast in recruiting lately, while also going outside of his region to snare five-star prospects. At this point, I think the Wildcats are the favorite to end up with the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. Ray Smith and Justin Simon are already in the fold, giving Miller a five-star wing and one of the best point guards in the country, respectively. Arizona will also get another five-star guard in this class, whether it's Allonzo Trier or Isaiah Briscoe. Up front, there are several players for which Arizona is strongly involved. Ivan Rabb is often considered an Arizona lean, although he has denied that in the past. Chance Comanche, a top-50 center, is also rumored to be favoring the Wildcats. Tyler Davis speaks highly of Arizona (along with Kansas), and Stephen Zimmerman also has Arizona on his list. At the end of the day, it wouldn't be a shock to see Arizona end up with three five-star players and a couple of other top-40 guys
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... our-finals
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

not sure if this has already been posted..

Ray Smith

http://tucson.com/online/video/wildcats ... 963f4.html

2015 recruit: UA's loyalty a 'big thing'

Other coaches “called and said to get better,” he said. “But Arizona was like, ‘If we can do anything. …’ They were more helping. They were saying how it happens to people and that they’re not giving up on me.

“It showed a lot of character, a lot about the university and how they are as people, to know I have a torn ACL, but they were still in it for the long haul, so that was a pretty big thing.”
http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 2db45.html
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

[youtube]SfxMChL2bgA[/youtube]
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Growth spurt changed Comanche into coveted recruit

So far, that much is not hyperbole. With long arms and a wiry, athletic 6-11 frame, Comanche is rated a 5-star prospect by both Scout and Rivals, and 24/7 Sports and ESPN have him as a 4-star.

Arizona has also made him a top priority in the class of 2015, along with other big men such as Ivan Rabb, Stephen Zimmerman and Chase Jeter. Comanche has returned the interest, scheduling his first official visit (Sept. 13) to Arizona, though he said he will likely take his allotted five official visits before making a decision.

Comanche said UA and UCLA are currently recruiting him the hardest, and he is also considering ASU, USC, California, Connecticut and N.C. State.

“I’ve always liked the school,” Comanche said of Arizona. “They have a good team and great coaches. Sean Miller and (associate head coach Joe) Pasternack are great guys.”

Comanche might even be the most likely of UA’s top big men priorities to become a Wildcat. According to 24/7’s “Crystal Ball,” 91 percent of analysts are predicting Comanche will head to UA, 68 percent say Rabb will, 50 percent have Zimmerman picking UA, and none have Jeter doing so (96 percent say Jeter will sign with Duke). Rabb also added intrigue to his situation when he told Zagsblog he has been “irritated” that people assume he’s headed for UA because he plays travel-ball for the Oakland Soldiers, who also produced Wildcats such as Nick Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Josiah Turner and Aaron Gordon.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... f5e27.html