WHITEOUT

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cats101

WHITEOUT

Post by cats101 »

I received my football season tickets yesterday and I see that the football program is having a white out against California (of all games).

Does anyone know if Greg Byrne is planning one? I know how much everyone hates them, but I'm just curious as to if they'll be doing one for basketball this year. 97?

Bear Down Vegas

Re: WHITEOUT

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

They've done them for three or four years in a row now & they've all been successful. I'm not a huge fan but I don't hate them as much as some other posters. I can't imagine they're going to stop doing them. Michigan or UCLA would be my best guess for which game they select.

edit to say: (successful money-wise)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like what Oregon does with its football schedule telling everyone each what to wear. I would love to see our crowd in all red or blue at home if we wore those trim colors.

Football is always a red out but when we wear blue it seems weird. Hope we go with white helmets against Cal
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:They've done them for three or four years in a row now & they've all been successful. I'm not a huge fan but I don't hate them as much as some other posters. I can't imagine they're going to stop doing them. Michigan or UCLA would be my best guess for which game they select.

edit to say: (successful money-wise)
Gonzaga.
TyAbbottGotOwned

Post by TyAbbottGotOwned »

Is there a specific reason posters here aren't fans of the white outs?
Last edited by TyAbbottGotOwned on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint Dum Metuant
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

TyAbbottGotOwned wrote:Is there a specific reason posters here are fans of the white outs?
I think most people here are neutral at best or straight up hate them haha.
TyAbbottGotOwned

Post by TyAbbottGotOwned »

just edited, meant to say 'not' fans of the Whiteout.
Oderint Dum Metuant
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

TyAbbottGotOwned wrote:just edited, meant to say 'not' fans of the Whiteout.
Some fans think it's 'below' our elite program to hold these whiteouts, especially when we basically have redouts every game anyway. Some fans probably see it for the cashgrab that it is, selling the shirts. Plus, other than Dwill's block in the original whiteout, they've all been depressing losses. Due to the theory that it makes the opponent feel special and jacks them up, when we shouldn't even be giving these average programs the honor of a unique game in McKale.

I don't really care too much personally, but I would be fine without them. Our crowd is already pretty damn good and we should kick ass and take names like it's business as usual, just another day in McKale. But I can recognize that the AD has to create an extra buzz and all that, so no big deal IMO.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

They'd be awesome for a laundry detergent commercial.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

pokinmik wrote:Plus, other than Dwill's block in the original whiteout, they've all been depressing losses.
We beat UNLV last year, but it could've gone either way for awhile.

And that's my problem with the whiteouts. How many more years does the team have to give a shitty performance before Byrne finally gets that these aren't a good idea for basketball anymore?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

AZCatGirl wrote:
pokinmik wrote:Plus, other than Dwill's block in the original whiteout, they've all been depressing losses.
We beat UNLV last year, but it could've gone either way for awhile.

And that's my problem with the whiteouts. How many more years does the team have to give a shitty performance before Byrne finally gets that these aren't a good idea for basketball anymore?
Ahhh, that's right. Thanks for the correction.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pokinmik wrote:
Some fans think it's 'below' our elite program to hold these whiteouts, especially when we basically have redouts every game anyway. Some fans probably see it for the cashgrab that it is, selling the shirts. Plus, other than Dwill's block in the original whiteout, they've all been depressing losses. Due to the theory that it makes the opponent feel special and jacks them up, when we shouldn't even be giving these average programs the honor of a unique game in McKale.

I don't really care too much personally, but I would be fine without them. Our crowd is already pretty damn good and we should kick ass and take names like it's business as usual, just another day in McKale. But I can recognize that the AD has to create an extra buzz and all that, so no big deal IMO.
I love the whiteouts. Team and most fans love them. Most big time programs do similar things.
It's news to me we lost to unlv last year
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ASUHATER! wrote:
pokinmik wrote:

I love the whiteouts. Team and most fans love them. Most big time programs do similar things.
It's news to me we lost to unlv last year
Yea I was corrected on the UNLV and acknowledged that. I never said I had much beef with the white outs either, was just explaining to TAGO some of the reasons for dislike in general. It helps if you read the posts before replying.