Never thought this would be possible at Arizona

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

luteformayor2

Never thought this would be possible at Arizona

Post by luteformayor2 »

We are on a the high-track towards getting five 5* recruits.

Five for Five on Five Stars.

Wow.

Trier
Simon
Smith
Rabb
Commanche

The possibility of this is absurd and it seems to more a likelihood than a stretch! God it feels good to be a wildcat!
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Never thought this would be possible at Arizona

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is a jinx thread, right?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

The University of Arizona is really the perfect storm to be completely dominant at all sports it takes as a priority.

Great weather, power conference, easy hub for recruits from Bay Area, LA, Vegas and Texas to all not have to come a long way to play.

Now with Byrne, Miller and RichRod, Arizona is finally caught up with the facilities and leadership to take the recruiting to the next level. Lute was an amazing coach in his prime, but I feel he was held back a bit on the publicity/facility side.

Miller's hard work is coming to fruition now with the caliber of recruits coming in and I don't think RichRod is that far off from having top classes as well.

The potential to be an Ohio State/Florida type of school that dominates year after year at basketball/football is there and with the way things are going I wouldn't bet against Arizona being that caliber in the near future.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Is Comanche really a 5*? It seems like recruiting services are all over the place on this guy, so I'm curious to know if anyone has seen him in action and thinks that the 5* billing he is given is accurate
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:Is Comanche really a 5*? It seems like recruiting services are all over the place on this guy, so I'm curious to know if anyone has seen him in action and thinks that the 5* billing he is given is accurate
I've watched him. I'd say currently a 4 but with 5 potential.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dcZONAfan wrote:Is Comanche really a 5*? It seems like recruiting services are all over the place on this guy, so I'm curious to know if anyone has seen him in action and thinks that the 5* billing he is given is accurate
No, he's a four star in most services
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

If he signs with UA he may get the bump to 5*
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This is a jinxafied thread
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

The one service who had him as a 5 star dropped him down to a 4 today. He's a project with a high ceiling. Definitely a guy you're not going to get much out of his first year a la Jordan Hill.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

#21 overall, 5 star on Rivals.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

azcat34 wrote:The University of Arizona is really the perfect storm to be completely dominant at all sports it takes as a priority.

Great weather, power conference, easy hub for recruits from Bay Area, LA, Vegas and Texas to all not have to come a long way to play.

Now with Byrne, Miller and RichRod, Arizona is finally caught up with the facilities and leadership to take the recruiting to the next level. Lute was an amazing coach in his prime, but I feel he was held back a bit on the publicity/facility side.

Miller's hard work is coming to fruition now with the caliber of recruits coming in and I don't think RichRod is that far off from having top classes as well.

The potential to be an Ohio State/Florida type of school that dominates year after year at basketball/football is there and with the way things are going I wouldn't bet against Arizona being that caliber in the near future.
I like your enthusiasm but I just can't see us ever getting to this level in football.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Me either. We'll be a top 5 type basketball program going forward but football wise I think we'd all be happy with a guaranteed bowl every year, beating asu and more often than not just finishing ranked with 9+ wins and at least threatening for a rose bowl every couple years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Me either. We'll be a top 5 type basketball program going forward but football wise I think we'd all be happy with a guaranteed bowl every year, beating asu and more often than not just finishing ranked with 9+ wins and at least threatening for a rose bowl every couple years.
I hear you guys, but just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can never happen. Arizona Football has been very good before, even preseason number 1 during Desert Swarm so there is a precedent.

There was also a time pre-Lute Olson that Arizona was a a wasteland for basketball and look what that has turned into.

What it takes is the right people in charge and catching up to the rest of the nation in terms of publicity, facilities and overall juice within the AD to keep pushing new projects and staying ahead of the curve.

I feel like they are already there in basketball and are close to becoming that in football with RichRod in charge and all the new facilities that are being sprouted up. Football takes time, so this won't be overnight, but I think the groundwork is there. Of course all of this could change overnight if RichRod leaves for another job or even worse if Greg Byrne takes a new job but I think within three to five years Arizona will be one of the best Football/Basketball schools in the nation.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat34 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Me either. We'll be a top 5 type basketball program going forward but football wise I think we'd all be happy with a guaranteed bowl every year, beating asu and more often than not just finishing ranked with 9+ wins and at least threatening for a rose bowl every couple years.
I hear you guys, but just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can never happen. Arizona Football has been very good before, even preseason number 1 during Desert Swarm so there is a precedent.

There was also a time pre-Lute Olson that Arizona was a a wasteland for basketball and look what that has turned into.

What it takes is the right people in charge and catching up to the rest of the nation in terms of publicity, facilities and overall juice within the AD to keep pushing new projects and staying ahead of the curve.

I feel like they are already there in basketball and are close to becoming that in football with RichRod in charge and all the new facilities that are being sprouted up. Football takes time, so this won't be overnight, but I think the groundwork is there. Of course all of this could change overnight if RichRod leaves for another job or even worse if Greg Byrne takes a new job but I think within three to five years Arizona will be one of the best Football/Basketball schools in the nation.
The Fred Snowden era was for real. It fell into a low point right before Lute, just like it all fell to a low point right before Sean Miller, but the foundation was built in the Snowden era. I can't think of the equivalent of anything like that for Arizona Football. The Tomey years weren't at the Snowden level. I think Arizona belongs to a certain class of basketball schools, where an uptick in the football program isn't likely: Arizona, Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Point is, if a school gets the right coach who commits to staying long-term, anything can happen. So in basketball Snowden got it started, Olson took it to previously unseen heights, and now Miller may even surpass Lute, especially if he gets bringing in these immense recruiting classes.

It can happen in football. Will it? Probably not, but that's not to say it can't. Tucson is pretty unique. U of A sports is pretty much the only game in town, 1,000,000+ people, fantastic weather, an AD who really knows what he is doing, and a couple of coaches who are (miller) or have been (RR) considered some of the best in the country. Remember, Alabama came after RR before Michigan.

RR has already done what no one thought he could do: two 8-5 seasons. Give him a couple more years. Anything is possible.

Go Cats!!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I love your attitude but disagree on football. Unless we get crazy nike money like Oregon it's going to be hard to be consistent like basketball as you need to recruit a ton more people and there is little to no in state talent you can pull from to do it with. That means you are having to go into SoCal to recruit against both USC and UCLA which is tough. Basketball is easier in that you need less people, it's easier to recruit kids from other places given in the summer all of them attend the same events in the same places, and I feel like basketball players are more willing to travel away for school given they travel a lot already for aau ball.

I agree on literally every other sport at u of a but football is just so tough to consistently turn yourself into a big time program when you don't have a lot of local talent. Look at USC they were on terrible penalties and still brought in top classes just because they can. We will never be that way unless we had some major competitive advantage like Oregon does in terms of the nike money.

Just my two cents but we are set up right now to have a major run in basketball. Our facilities are too notched, love our coaching, fan support is huge, we have put a ton of guys into the nba, really nothing can be sold against us outside of maybe playing time ie go to zona and they will recruit over you. That's ticky tacky though
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS