Blowout Losses

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Blowout Loses

Post by PHXCATS »

I obviously over estimated Miller's coaching abilities and his ability to reach the players yesterday
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

psiclist23 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Tough thread to read. Have to wonder how much the turnover in the staff has impacted the program. Seems like the level of our assistant coaches is questionable
ell last year we had a pretty good offensive minded asst.. Romar. Didn't seem to matter. It never did seem to me that he was contributing anything to the offense. I always thought that if Sean had just turned the offense over to Romar, and concentrated on defense, or recruiting, the season might have turned out a little differently.

I don't think Sean is doing much but what he wants to.
We had the 15th rated AdjO last year, just behind Gonzaga.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:Great thread 97. This is why next year is the ultimate make or break year for Sean Miller in regards to the opinions of his fanbase and honestly probably the donors.
this is interesting - I do agree (baring anything funky) regardless of the results on the floor this year, Coach Miller will get to see next season...and Mannion is the real deal - they should be excellent.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Great thread 97. This is why next year is the ultimate make or break year for Sean Miller in regards to the opinions of his fanbase and honestly probably the donors.
this is interesting - I do agree (baring anything funky) regardless of the results on the floor this year, Coach Miller will get to see next season...and Mannion is the real deal - they should be excellent.
Outside of the FBI arresting Miller, zero chance he doesn’t coach us again next year.

The powerful alums still like Miller and so does president Robbins

Now that being said, I am starting to hear he better win next year or the natives that matter could be restless

I honestly think he is already on thin ice with the average fan.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

What's the quote.."if you listen to what the fans say you will be sitting with them."
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Well if we lose early to a crap team in the tournament next year the heat on Miller will be well earned.

If we lose another close Elite 8 game? That seems over reactionary to me.

Either way, next year is all that matters right now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
billk78

Post by billk78 »

AZCatGirl wrote:Well if we lose early to a crap team in the tournament next year the heat on Miller will be well earned.

Completely agree. I'll still watch this year and hope for continued development and confidence from Jeter, Ira and Brandon Williams (maybe Barcello? maybe?). Other than that I'm ready to move on. Not many seasons I've felt that way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Outside of the FBI arresting Miller, zero chance he doesn’t coach us again next year.

Now that being said, I am starting to hear he better win next year or the natives that matter could be restless

The average fan must be a pretty low common denominator, then.

I return to the idea that this year was a salvage project, period. We were at a point where we had no returning starters and no incoming recruits. That spells Titanic sized disaster. Unless you buy Miller's complicity in Book's actions, it was also basically outside Miller's control.

As bad as this weekend was, on some level it just speaks to the fact we went on the road without our most indispensable player and shot the ball like shit. I know I'm more a Miller fan than most, but being 1-2 without Jeter actually isn't awful. Jeter is the guy we can least afford to lose, and we've basically played the last 3 games without him.
SabinoDrifter

Re: Blowout Losses

Post by SabinoDrifter »

For context, this is the most inefficient offensive team in Miller's tenure at Arizona (next worst was 12-13 season) and the worst shooting team measured by effective FG% (next worst was 10-11 season).

This team's inability to shoot consistently is catching up to them at the worst time. Jeter does make a difference, but the offensive talent on is severely lacking.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
97cats wrote:

The average fan must be a pretty low common denominator, then.

I return to the idea that this year was a salvage project, period. We were at a point where we had no returning starters and no incoming recruits. That spells Titanic sized disaster. Unless you buy Miller's complicity in Book's actions, it was also basically outside Miller's control.

As bad as this weekend was, on some level it just speaks to the fact we went on the road without our most indispensable player and shot the ball like shit. I know I'm more a Miller fan than most, but being 1-2 without Jeter actually isn't awful. Jeter is the guy we can least afford to lose, and we've basically played the last 3 games without him.
I think most average fans are fairly dumb and lack an understanding for how things truly work. I totally agree with everything you said about this team. It’s a redshirt year
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Spiceman Spiff pretty much encapsulates where I feel Arizona Basketball has landed after a lengthy period of time and reflection. For me, the words would be silent bewilderment for the greater contingent of fandom.

Pretty much any honest evaluation of the current situation is countered with what we might expect from the modern culture's thought justice guardians.

Excuses, shaming and inescapable rationalizations rule the day. As with all things in life, the square peg meeting the round hole is limited in time and will eventually find to its natural order not through feelings and emotion, but through logic and results.

Arizona Basketball's eventual outcome in this current environment will be no different.

The real question is are you willing to be intellectually honest when answering those questions, or are you steadfast in being politically correct?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SabinoDrifter wrote:For context, this is the most inefficient offensive team in Miller's tenure at Arizona (next worst was 12-13 season) and the worst shooting team measured by effective FG% (next worst was 10-11 season).

This team's inability to shoot consistently is catching up to them at the worst time. Jeter does make a difference, but the offensive talent on is severely lacking.
Without Jeter, we have no post offense. It further locks us into a situation where our perimeter players make shots or they don't, and that is the be all and end all of our offensive production.

Jeter lets us threaten the D with postup play. Lee is a good energy guy, but he doesn't give us that. Luther doesn't post.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:For context, this is the most inefficient offensive team in Miller's tenure at Arizona (next worst was 12-13 season) and the worst shooting team measured by effective FG% (next worst was 10-11 season).

Without Jeter, we have no post offense. It further locks us into a situation where our perimeter players make shots or they don't, and that is the be all and end all of our offensive production.

Jeter lets us threaten the D with postup play. Lee is a good energy guy, but he doesn't give us that. Luther doesn't post.
Agreed, both Lee and Luther are little threat in the post against teams with length and size.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Other than hapless Cal and Stanford, I was certain we would have zero road wins this season. Wasn't expecting a win at UCONN. The Iowa St. game doesn't count since it was neutral and ISU had their second string pretty much. Maybe I need to adjust thinking to whether we will be within 10 points in any road losses.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats wrote:this is interesting - I do agree (baring anything funky) regardless of the results on the floor this year, Coach Miller will get to see next season...and Mannion is the real deal - they should be excellent.
Can Nico impress you more than Lonzo did at UCLA? Would you take Nico over Lonzo, knowing what he did that year?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

billk78 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:Well if we lose early to a crap team in the tournament next year the heat on Miller will be well earned.

Completely agree. I'll still watch this year and hope for continued development and confidence from Jeter, Ira and Brandon Williams (maybe Barcello? maybe?). Other than that I'm ready to move on. Not many seasons I've felt that way.
If Jeter, Ira, Williams, and Barcello return, next year's squad should be a very good one, particularly if those players continue to develop.

With respect to this year, it has been painful to watch. Most fans assumed that while there would be a drop-off, the roster still contained a number of 4 star recruits and a couple of 5 star recruits, most having been in the program (or others) for a couple of years. On paper, this should have been a much more formidable team, even with a lack of depth in the front court. There is enough talent on paper that there should not be blow-outs. Losses, sure. But the blow-outs are curious because most upper-tier or even mid-tier programs would love to have this kind of talent, yet AZ plays as if it is roster full of 3 star nobodies, with no chance of competing. Some fans point to the Gonzaga game and point out that AZ had the lead for nearly 30 minutes, but then what happened? How do you head into the final 10 minutes and entirely lose focus and poise? That loss is as bad as any of the others, even though AZ was in it for so long. So, what is the deal? Did Miller and his former assistants totally whiff on these recruits? Or has he lost the program? Blowouts are a sign that the coach has lost the players.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

FYI 97cats is so full of shit. He has no idea what he is talking about. What a fraud

Sweet hat bro
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Such bullshit, look at me I do shots
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Newportcat wrote:FYI 97cats is so full of shit. He has no idea what he is talking about. What a fraud

Sweet hat bro
Newportcat wrote:Such bullshit, look at me I do shots

Uh....
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

:lol: :lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ok so maybe worlds collided and newportcat and 97cats hung out tonight.

He is super legit and almost knows too much
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:Ok so maybe worlds collided and newportcat and 97cats hung out tonight.

Nicely done bros.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Pics or it didn't happen
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the internet is still undefeated - great hangin get ready to do it again in a few hours...lol
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Newportcat wrote:Ok so maybe worlds collided and newportcat and 97cats hung out tonight.

Cuts to a shot of Newportcat hanging with Lute last night....

::lightbulb::

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dcZONAfan wrote:

Cuts to a shot of Newportcat hanging with Lute last night....

::lightbulb::

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Pretty sure Lute would never wear a pink track jacket in public

Meeting 97 is like meeting god. And when I mean god I mean the coolest mother fucker on the planet.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sounds like we can add tonight's game to the blowout loss tally.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Sounds like we can add tonight's game to the blowout loss tally.
No Chase? Hansen says he isn't on the court for warmups
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Arizona could lose every game the rest of this season but the fact I met and got to hang out with 97 makes my year. Any story you have heard about him...

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Sounds like we can add tonight's game to the blowout loss tally.
No Chase? Hansen says he isn't on the court for warmups
Way worse than Chase.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:Arizona could lose every game the rest of this season but the fact I met and got to hang out with 97 makes my year. Any story you have heard about him...

Even the one with the donkey in Rosarita??
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

No BWill, limited Chase...

We're fucked.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

AZCatGirl wrote:No BWill, limited Chase...

We're fucked.
Don’t play chase. Give him 7 more days until Washington
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Frybry02 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:No BWill, limited Chase...

We're fucked.
Don’t play chase. Give him 7 more days until Washington
You trying to bring Machina out?

:D

I would do the same thing. Give DesJardin Chase's minutes.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Arizona could lose every game the rest of this season but the fact I met and got to hang out with 97 makes my year. Any story you have heard about him...

I mean 97 pulled off wearing a pink track jacket so I would believe it all. Hearing him talking about Arizona basketball is like speaking directly to the oracle. It’s like you become enlightened. I think Travolta would call it going clear. All becomes quiet and things just make sense.

Whatever he says is the truth

And again it’s coming from a guy wearing a pink track jacket...and proud of it
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I mean 97 pulled off wearing a pink track jacket so I would believe it all. Hearing him talking about Arizona basketball is like speaking directly to the oracle. It’s like you become enlightened. I think Travolta would call it going clear. All becomes quiet and things just make sense.

Whatever he says is the truth

And again it’s coming from a guy wearing a pink track jacket...and proud of it
It's always the guys who are wise enough to not care what anybody else thinks that just know it all. I'm far from surprised.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
especially that...where’s Rosarita again?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
especially that...where’s Rosarita again?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Given we lost to ASU I am going to tell stories about 97cats to make myself feel better inside

When you hear him speak, this is what Arizona basketball started to look like

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Newportcat wrote:Given we lost to ASU I am going to tell stories about 97cats to make myself feel better inside

When you hear him speak, this is what Arizona basketball started to look like

So you are saying that '97 is the Phil Jackson of Arizona basketball - our zen master. :D
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Kind of but I feel like he is bigger then that

One of my friends saw me talking to him and asked why I looked so blown away with what that guy was saying. I could not even attempt to tell him the truth.

The best thing 97 said to me was when I said, "Man, I feel like its kind of sad how much time I spend writing on a message board about Arizona sports. It honestly is something I kind of feel embarrassed about"

He looked at me and said "Bullshit, it shows you care about something. That is what life is all about, you give a shit and that's fucking awesome"

This is how I felt after he said it....I have been forgiven....#97saves....WW97D

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newport, give us some highlights. We're not all fortunate enough to go out drinking with 97, but I guarantee you we're all just as curious to know that the F is up with the program.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

In summary, Sean Miller is witch and 97 does not believe we are going to have a retail apocalypse due to the explosive growth of online shopping. He feels strongly that while E-Commerce will continue to grow and the industrial markets will stay strong, there is still strong demand from a number of retailers who provide value to consumers in terms of what they buy and also the groups who provide a quality experience. So strong food retailers and discount stores are continuing to be the bell of the ball and should be that way for a while. Still plenty of opportunity to invest on the retail side of the business if you know what you are doing.

I learned a long time ago

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've heard a lot lately about how brick and mortar businesses are supposed to actually grow in the near future.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97 is the one who turned me on to Wurstkuche in LA and that's good enough for me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I spent an evening drinking with 97 and Rey in a hotel room at the Arizona Inn 1 night.

Try explaining to your wife you are about to meet up with 2 men in a hotel room that you’ve only ever met on a message board. She was totally freaked out! But I had a great night!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:I spent an evening drinking with 97 and Rey in a hotel room at the Arizona Inn 1 night.

Try explaining to your wife you are about to meet up with 2 men in a hotel room that you’ve only ever met on a message board. She was totally freaked out! But I had a great night!

I had a similar experience. I had to explain to my family how a guy I never met from the message board named Wilma's Pimp had hooked us up with front row seats for the Cats game in Honolulu.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Alieberman wrote:I spent an evening drinking with 97 and Rey in a hotel room at the Arizona Inn 1 night.

You should have trolled her and asked if she knew where any rope was.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I was kind of nervous as we met at this business event and knew people might ask how we knew each other and saying, "I met him on the internet" just does not sound great. Sure enough when someone said oh you guys are friends, 97 says just calmly and coolly said "Yeah we went to college together"....

I was like

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Still, you need to be careful. What if you were Ace? :shock: