Red/Blue, who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Red/Blue, who's going?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I am.

I'm excited to see all the newer parts and how Randolph, Akot and Lee look returning. This is probably the most I've felt the R/B game is a real preview of the unknown since 2012-13.
US_Bennett

Re: Red/Blue, who's going?

Post by US_Bennett »

Never miss it. Can't wait.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Got my 10 tickets
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Damn you take practice really seriously
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Damn you take practice really seriously
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:

Yep, can't have a different opinion around here with Newport around.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

that is insanely rich coming from you.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

What’s your fucking opinion?

That Arizona has an unreal level of support for basketball from it’s fans and an average level of support for its football team? That is not an opinion that is what they call a fact

So what’s your opinion?

That of Arizona had the same level of support for its football team we would be much better then we are today? That’s a fucking stupid opinion. 8,000 more fans at Arizona stadium (in the last twenty years we have averaged probably 48k per game for football) paying on average of $35 a ticket is roughly $1.6m more in ticket revenue. Say with food and now beer sales and higher ticket prices that doubles to $3m more revenue. That helps our athletic department but doesn’t move the needle much when our overall budget is half that of say Alabama or roughly $80m above ours.

So your argument there is stupid. What about recruiting...Utah sells out every game and they have never brought in a top 25 class because they have some of the same structural issues in football we do. We had great attendance stats under stoops...where is the rose bowl berth? Sure greater support for football won’t hurt but eventually the stadium will get reduced to the capacity it should be at about 49,000 when the west side is redone and we will still be average in football even with sell outs.

You dislike the red and blue game and are upset it sells out. Just think about that. You call yourself a fan of the University of Arizona.

So please tell me your opinion but don’t be fucking upset when guys like me tell you how fucking stupid it is
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

That Arizona has an unreal level of support for basketball from it’s fans and an average level of support for its football team? That is not an opinion that is what they call a fact

So what’s your opinion?

That of Arizona had the same level of support for its football team we would be much better then we are today? That’s a fucking stupid opinion. 8,000 more fans at Arizona stadium (in the last twenty years we have averaged probably 48k per game for football) paying on average of $35 a ticket is roughly $1.6m more in ticket revenue. Say with food and now beer sales and higher ticket prices that doubles to $3m more revenue. That helps our athletic department but doesn’t move the needle much when our overall budget is half that of say Alabama or roughly $80m above ours.

So your argument there is stupid. What about recruiting...Utah sells out every game and they have never brought in a top 25 class because they have some of the same structural issues in football we do. We had great attendance stats under stoops...where is the rose bowl berth? Sure greater support for football won’t hurt but eventually the stadium will get reduced to the capacity it should be at about 49,000 when the west side is redone and we will still be average in football even with sell outs.

You dislike the red and blue game and are upset it sells out. Just think about that. You call yourself a fan of the University of Arizona.

So please tell me your opinion but don’t be fucking upset when guys like me tell you how fucking stupid it is
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Let’s chill with the name calling guys. Saying someone’s opinion is shit is fine. Saying someone is shit isn’t.

That being said, imagine the brain melting that would go on in some circles if Red/Blue DIDN’T sell out. There’d be lots of “tarnished legacy”, “can’t hold Lute’s clipboard”, “fire Miller!” talk from people who dismiss it as a glorified practice when it DOES sell out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:Let’s chill with the name calling guys. Saying someone’s opinion is shit is fine. Saying someone is shit isn’t.

That being said, imagine the brain melting that would go on in some circles if Red/Blue DIDN’T sell out. There’d be lots of “tarnished legacy”, “can’t hold Lute’s clipboard”, “fire Miller!” talk from people who dismiss it as a glorified practice when it DOES sell out.
I do not think I called him any names or said he is a shit but definitely said his opinions are fucking worthless which they are. I would not say someone is worthless here as I do not know him at all. But I know his opinions and now realize why Machina is loathed around here

And you are totally right about the attitude from some if the Red/Blue game did not sell out
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think at the moment all that's left is about 1800 upperdeck tickets. Considering the expectations or lack there of going into this season coupled with how last season ended that's pretty damn good still.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I think at the moment all that's left is about 1800 upperdeck tickets. Considering the expectations or lack there of going into this season coupled with how last season ended that's pretty damn good still.
Didnt last year sell out within a few hours? Usually only a couple days.

Weak fanbase this year

Who am I?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I think at the moment all that's left is about 1800 upperdeck tickets. Considering the expectations or lack there of going into this season coupled with how last season ended that's pretty damn good still.
Didnt last year sell out within a few hours? Usually only a couple days.

Weak fanbase this year

Who am I?
Was thinking the same thing, though you can forgive people with the end-of-season meltdown, "is Miller out?", and "who is on this team" all fresh on the mind.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No Lauri or Deandre type recruit that those without season tickets are dying to see.

I’d be much more worried if we had unsold regular season tickets out there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Let’s chill with the name calling guys. Saying someone’s opinion is shit is fine. Saying someone is shit isn’t.

If I remember right, Lute didn't sell it out a decent amount. The big hype began after the 2011 EE run.

Miller created a lot of the beast that people think is nipping at his heels.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If I remember right, Lute didn't sell it out a decent amount. The big hype began after the 2011 EE run.

Miller created a lot of the beast that people think is nipping at his heels.
This is true. The fact that it went from a free event to charging per ticket and didn’t miss a beat as far as popularity is testament enough to what Sean Miller has done for this program.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Newportcat wrote:

So what’s your opinion?

LOL at caring more about Arizona football than basketball. Good lord, what that must feel like (sorry for the good fans who also care about it a bit, obviously).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Getting closer...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Talking about practice man
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote:Talking about practice man
Stop.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You already posted that once. Any thoughts I had were final then.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

If you insist on harping about this I will have to restrict your posting privileges for the bball section.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yep! A practice held for true Arizona fans who love the athletic program and appreciate the unique relationship it has with the community and alumni.

You must not be one of them.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UAdevil wrote:
If you insist on harping about this I will have to restrict your posting privileges for the bball section.
Weak. Do the whole damn site!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Only thing to talk about... right Machina?

Right Machina?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

wish i were going, but unfortunately another year i wont be able to make it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Can't go, sorry. Go Blue!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Planning on waiting until Nov 3rd to fly in, so I can catch a football game on that Friday and a basketball exhibition on Sunday (vs Chaminade). Not sure the football part will be worth it but should be a fun weekend.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Planning on waiting until Nov 3rd to fly in, so I can catch a football game on that Friday and a basketball exhibition on Sunday (vs Chaminade). Not sure the football part will be worth it but should be a fun weekend.
You are a good fan. ;)
Junior

Post by Junior »

EastCoastCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Planning on waiting until Nov 3rd to fly in, so I can catch a football game on that Friday and a basketball exhibition on Sunday (vs Chaminade). Not sure the football part will be worth it but should be a fun weekend.
You are a good fan. ;)
One of the few on this board. ;)
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yessir
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

Right Machina?

Here you go Machina, buy them up and donate them to veterans! I'll send you my dad's address.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you want to talk abiut fair weather fans, I don't know how RB is not sold out yet.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If you want to talk abiut fair weather fans, I don't know how RB is not sold out yet.
I mean the sports media has no idea wtf this Arizona team will be like next year and in turn neither do the non-diehards. Vast majority of the sports media has us outside the top 25, so the fans react accordingly to that. Honestly 13,000 (right now) is actually a great turnout so far based on the expectations going into this season or lack there of.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Right Machina?

Here you go Machina, buy them up and donate them to veterans! I'll send you my dad's address.

I will send your dad the money plus a little extra if he really wants to go but I am not putting a practice on my credit card.

100 percent serious. Send me a PM of how many he wants
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thats a bribe. Ban

Seriously horrible sales for this years RB. Worst I can remember
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jefe wrote:Thats a bribe. Ban

Seriously horrible sales for this years RB. Worst I can remember
Actually with all things considered, sales aren't bad.

I remember the first sellout being the year there was a NBA lockout, which helped sales because, well, a lot of the alumni had time on their hands to spare. Prior to that, I remember them having decent attendance, but not a packed house. The prices have also gone up, though seats are no longer general admission.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Anyone know if they plan to stream or televise it? Last year I believe the Pac12 was supposed to stream it on their website but had all kinds of issues.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
LOL at caring more about Arizona football than basketball. Good lord, what that must feel like (sorry for the good fans who also care about it a bit, obviously).
I don't get not caring equally, personally. At least for alumni...it's my school, and a major sport.

Am i disappointed more by Arizona football? Maybe. Expectations drive disappointment.

Is being a hardcore UA hoops fan more fun? Yeah.

Is it amazing when we do have those breakthrough football years? Oh, yeah. No sporting event I have attended on campus has equaled beating UW in '92. Not the '91 Duke game, not the '11 Florida game. The win over ASU in '98 in football? Definitely top 10.

To me, there is no "bit" of feeling. I am just as jacked for a big football game as a big basketball game. I am more often surprised by football, more often satisfied with basketball...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

billk78 wrote:Anyone know if they plan to stream or televise it? Last year I believe the Pac12 was supposed to stream it on their website but had all kinds of issues.
The schedule does say P12 Network
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Never ceases to amaze me why anonymous people fight with each other on internet message boards, of which the whole point is to talk about a specific niche interest you have in life. See it on pretty much every sports related message board, always a few people who insist on it. For this board, it's people coming together to talk about University of Arizona athletics teams. Everything on here is debate and opinion. Not everyone is going to agree with what you post, everyone has a difference in opinion on things.

But taking anything on here as a personal attack misses the entire point of what this is all about, and nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to hear or read your petty squabbles.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Never ceases to amaze me why anonymous people fight with each other on internet message boards, of which the whole point is to talk about a specific niche interest you have in life. See it on pretty much every sports related message board, always a few people who insist on it. For this board, it's people coming together to talk about University of Arizona athletics teams. Everything on here is debate and opinion. Not everyone is going to agree with what you post, everyone has a difference in opinion on things.

But taking anything on here as a personal attack misses the entire point of what this is all about, and nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to hear or read your petty squabbles.
Uh, thanks?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hey most years I would agree, it's a practice. But this year I will buy 100 tickets and support Sean Miller and our premier program. This is a program I will support like family
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

Saw that Bayless (and Ayton) will be inducted in to the ROH.

Do you guys like the 10yrs min in the league as a way to get in? Nothing against him, for he had a great season (statistically) at AZ, was just curious, cuz if it was say Grant Jerrett or someone else who made it 10 yrs in the league, some ppl would go crazy lol
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Bayless was a great Wildcat, if only for a year. I think it's also useful just to hype up and maintain connections to any "great" players that have come through, for the sake of the program. If you have ten years in the league, people know your name - I want them to know you went to Arizona, and when people come through McKale, I want them to see all those names bearing down on them from the ring of honor.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Every kid who endured the KO era deserves to be so honored.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

EVCat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
I don't get not caring equally, personally. At least for alumni...it's my school, and a major sport.

Am i disappointed more by Arizona football? Maybe. Expectations drive disappointment.

Is being a hardcore UA hoops fan more fun? Yeah.

Is it amazing when we do have those breakthrough football years? Oh, yeah. No sporting event I have attended on campus has equaled beating UW in '92. Not the '91 Duke game, not the '11 Florida game. The win over ASU in '98 in football? Definitely top 10.

To me, there is no "bit" of feeling. I am just as jacked for a big football game as a big basketball game. I am more often surprised by football, more often satisfied with basketball...
As a former diehard Arizona football fan I can tell you the vast majority of my u of a buddies could give two shits about Arizona football. In fact my former roommate now claims USC football and was taking trash on a group text to a bunch of after last weeks game and no one even responded.

This same guy would take a bullet for Lute. Now if we were really good at football it would be different of course but we are also some what younger alumni where our football team has always been poor (started school in 1999)

This same group probably had 50 texts right after Josh green committed and I would say everyone one could name our recruiting class and who is visiting next week. The passion for Arizona basketball is intense, almost scary. Football not so much at all.