Rocky Mountain Road Trip Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Rocky Mountain Road Trip Discussion

Post by YoDeFoe »

Should we talk about Utah as a team? I’ve yet to watch them but I’m looking over their roster now...

PG - Justin Bibbins - 5’8” 150lbs Sr
Looks like they picked up a Sr. transfer PG that is smaller than PJC - came from Long Beach St. Effective scorer from all three levels, especially dangerous from deep, good passer. Put up 19pts on 5/8 from three at Oregon and 18pts on 4/8 at Oregon St. He’ll play 35min or more at point.

SG - Sedrick Barefield - 6’2” 190lbs Jr
Undersized two guard who leads the team in FGAs but hasn’t scored well this season after shooting nearly 40% from three last year. Made up for his poor shooting by getting to the line six times each in the Oregon games.

SF - Gabe Bealer - 6’6” 180lb Sr
Slight framed spot up three point shooter averaging 47% on the season. He can also get points at the rim.

PF - David Collette - 6’10” 220lbs Sr
The real deal, one of the best big men in the conference. Good defender, draws fouls, scores well and often at the rim. Rebounds well. The matchup between Collette and Ayton will be a focal point of the night.

C - Tyler Rawson - 6’10” 225lbs Sr
Stretch four who prefers to shoot the three and draws fouls to score. Defends, rebounds, and passes well. Has had a big leap in his game this year. Put up a 10/8/7 near triple
double at Oregon.

Bench notables
* Jayce Johnson - 7’0” 235lbs So - foul and turnover prone, lacks skill as a scorer. Look for him to eat up space and fouls against our two bigs.
* Kolbe Caldwell - 6’5” 204lbs So - a warm body at wing.
* Parker Van Dyke - 6’3” 185lbs Jr - a less warm body. Can pass.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I saw part of one Utah game. I remember thinking they were ok but relatively unexceptional. We are a better team, but they are good enough to beat us if we aren't ready.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

utah game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

More notes on the Oregon wins by Utah...

The craziest part of their two-game sweep in Oregon? They completely changed their style of play to do it.

Over their first 11 games of the season, the Utes averaged more than 72 possessions per game, slightly higher than the national average this season. Their two games against the Oregon schools were played at a 57.5 possession pace average. That would be the slowest team in college basketball this season by more than five possessions, a staggering difference in tempo. Utah moved to hyper-slow ball to reduce possessions, and it worked perfectly on the offensive end of the floor, as the Utes continually created great looks by running opponents through the ringer. Utah turned the ball over against Oregon just three times — two of which came on illegal screens — and knocked down 21 3s over the course of the two games.

They won those two games by grinding down the pace and hitting threes - big change in their approach that rewarded them with two opening weekend wins. Larry K is one of the best coaches in the league, so I'm curious what approach he brings to the game tonight (as well as the second leg game they host on Saturday). Coach LK may have an interesting wrinkle to throw at Ayton, but he doesn't have the roster to handle Trier and Alkins as well.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

WTF, asu plays utah on a sunday night and Arizona has to play at Colorado on a short turn around game on a Saturday afternoon?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:WTF, asu plays utah on a sunday night and Arizona has to play at Colorado on a short turn around game on a Saturday afternoon?
Get home sooner. I'm ok with that.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

RondaeShimmy wrote:WTF, asu plays utah on a sunday night and Arizona has to play at Colorado on a short turn around game on a Saturday afternoon?
Just as a quick note, I'm not sure who's helped (out of all four teams). The four teams basically played simultaneously on Thursday so...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea short as hell turnaround
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea short as hell turnaround
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yea short as hell turnaround
Mostly concerned about he players blood adjusting to the altitude. Just not enough time.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats wrote:Utah has the worst fans in the country, they are down right nasty
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Catintheheat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Yea short as hell turnaround
Mostly concerned about he players blood adjusting to the altitude. Just not enough time.
Not a problem. At least 2 days, maybe 3 (when did the team get to Utah?) coming from 2,600+ feet to 4,800, that is no issue at all. Then 2 days going from 4,800 to 5,400. For athletes, that shouldn't be much of an issue at all, coming from Tucson. Much more of an issue for the teams coming from sea level.
prh

Post by prh »

What a game. Trash fans as expected. I was 10 rows up section J (wedge between our bench and student section). 4 or 5 students had FBI shirts on at the front rail and were talking shit all game. Couldn't catch any of it so I wanted to walk down there, but didn't. They had those little cones to yell into so it traveled. I assume that's who the team had issues with.

Starting with the under 8 timeout in the 1st, had minimum 4 police standing between our bench and their student section at every timeout, and probably sitting there during play.

Also, students were pathetic as hell. Tossed monopoly money in the air, had one FBI chant that was pathetic, and had 1 section practically empty (they only have 3 sections, so it looked bad). At least come up with something creative.

I'm tired but I'll have an actual write up tomorrow.
Last edited by prh on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The crazy thing is what's new about this season: Colorado has had to focus their preparations on ASU. Paid off for them, too. But now they have to turn around suddenly, and there's Ayton dunking over them.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

those Utah fans are NASTY!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BREAKING: Saturday to mark Xavier Johnson’s comeback return for his 12th college basketball season with the Buffaloes.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Yeah they were the especially harsh when the fbi thing broke. Most other fans just knew it could happen to them. They were all over Twitter.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

DeAndre is a warrior, played great, but looked like tonight the altitude was bothering him a little bit as he was laboring in the second half.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Longhorned wrote:BREAKING: Saturday to mark Xavier Johnson’s comeback return for his 12th college basketball season with the Buffaloes.
This would be funny as hell if there wasn’t a slight chance of it happening, lol. Man that Dude was a punk!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

First of all, Larry K is a really, really good coach. He runs a ton of simple NBA sets, and highly complicated ones, as I will outline. He understands how to scheme and game plan, and I though he did an amazing job tonight in a few areas. Yeah, Utah was hot from three, but his sets, defensive adjustments, ect. Allowed his guys to hang around.

I don’t want to sound like im drooling over the guy, but when I looked at my notes half of them were about Utah.

What Utah did

All night long, Utah was trying to occupy Ayton to free up his man from three. We saw this immediately at the 17:37 mark of the first half. K had Collette (center) and Rawson (PF/shooter) run a 4/5 DHO (dribble hand off) for a wide open three top of the key. Collette dribbled to Rawson spaced top of the key, stopped, pitched the ball to Rawson fading, almost like a flare cut, off the DHO. Ristic was obviously playing under Collette, and Collette just got in front of Ayton.

Next, Utah was doubling Ristic and Ayton on first dribble all night. It was more annoying as it was effective in the first half, as we were running them off the floor the first 20 minutes, but became an issue when K switched from straight man to his 2-3 matchup zone late in the half and the entire second.

Shifting to his offensive sets… As I mentioned he runs a lot of NBA stuff. That 4/5 DHO was one example of a basic set. Another is how often he ran horns sets, which led to one of the best sets you will ever see in college hoops.

6:15 1H: Utah sets up in a horns set (Keep in mind we have Ristic as our big). Weak side a pin down is set for the wing, with a fake pin down set strong side with the PG (who had passed to Rawson). The strong side wing cuts baseline and the PG initiates a DHO with Rawson. We actually defended all this very well, even with Barcello on the ball, denying the DHO and pushing the PG to reset nearly out to half court. However, the set was just beginning…

With the kick out to the PG and reset, Utah now has all five players spread beyond the three point line. Not exactly a good sign for our defense. Collette receives the pass from the PG on the weak side top of the ley. PG right to the same side of the floor he faked the pin down (UA bench) and sets a screen to free Rawson. This is where it gets tricky, and something the Warriors kill teams with. Instead of Rawson coming off the screen looking for the pass and a jumper or curl into a rim attack, he immediately sets a screen on the PG. So we have a screen the screener action with a big and a small who can both shoot.

As the PG is coming off the screen (screen the screener), Collette hits him with a pass and immediately runs to setup a screen and roll. Not good. This is a side screen and roll, and with Collette as the big, Ristic is going to hard hedge. Collette dives, and Rawle (who is defending Rawson) helps on him diving to the rim, because at this point, his mind has been turned inside out by all the actions.

Ristic pushes out the PG, but guess what? Rawle left Rawson, who circles up from the wing to the pass and drills a wide open three.

To recap… Utah ran a single set with horns action, fake pin down, DHO, screen the screener AND a PNR. Yeah, good luck defending that shit.

Moving on to the second half, the game plan was quite simple. K really slowed us down with the 2-3 matchup zone, and he attacked Ristic every chance he got.

To put it simply, K used Collette as the focal point of his offense. Everything they ran involved him, because that was Ristic’s man. Ball screen, back screens, DHO, PNR, slipping the PNR, ect. The key down the stretch was Collette slipping all those ball screens, especially with an empty corner or the ball attacking the corner. Utah was tic-tac-toeing passes from their guards to Collette, who either finished or zipped the ball around to a shooter. This was something I pointed out a month+ ago, and K brought it back as a weakness.

In the first minute alone, K attacked Ristic in three PNRs. One results in a shooting foul at the rim, because Ristic was late to rotate off his show, and an open jumper from the wing.

Another early example was another great set from K. A basic horns-flare set for Rawson. Ayton switches on PG (and adjustment Miller made and I describe below), PJC switches on Rawson (which we did all night from 17:37 on), Ristic’s man (Collette) sets the flare. Rawson fades off the flare and the pass is delivered. Even if the pass was late, Rawson has nearly a foot on PJC, and it’s an open three.

10:54: Collette is basically being used like Marc Gasol via DHOs, slips, back screens. Ristic had no chance, but a lot of the actions were executed so well they resulted in wide open threes.

Down the stretch K adjusted to Miller sitting Ristic and inserting Pinder. Utah was still sending the double on the dribble with closest help, but with Pinder on the floor it comes on the catch. Pretty basic concept, as he knew Pinder was no threat to score, unlike Ristic, and he could send that man early. This caused a lot of issues with Ayton fighting through traffic middle of the second half and on.

Also, I get Miller switching PJC onto a hot Barefield in hopes to eliminate some of his space, but he simply was shooting right over him.

What Arizona did

This was simple for me. Utah could not hang with us when we got a stop and pushed the ball in transition.

If you go back and read the first paragraph about what Utah did, it was about lifting Ayton to defend Rawson on the perimeter, but occupying him with screens and things to slow him down. However, Miller would quickly adjust, and it was a great move.

16:26 1H: Miller adjusted by switching all ball screen with Rawson. This specific possession resulted in Ayton flipping on PJC’s man in a PNR, so we didn’t leave the Rawson open for three. As the possession played on, Ayton and Ristic ending up switching (Collette and Bibbins the PG), as to not give up post position. Ayton blocks Collette’s shot as a result man. A great example of Miller’s flexibility the last few weeks.

To start the game Miller ran some good sets to open the floor for a dump down to Ristic, or to get Ayton diving to the rim. Sort of funny, because the second set we ran resulting in a side ball screen coming out of an empty corner. Miller knew K was going to hard hedge this in man (also part of the reason K switched to the matchup 2-3), and got a free roll from the wing out of a SSNR for Ayton.

I like Ira Lee and can’t wait to see him develop, but if he can’t defend properly in transition his minutes are going to dwindle even more.

15:07 1H: Utah playing 2-3 matchup on a made 3. Barcello commits a turnover trying to dump the ball to Ayton. Ayton is late getting back, Lee doesn’t run back to sink in transition D, big sprints past him, Trier has to come off the wing to help, then recover back and gets beat off the bounce for a layup.

I keep saying it, but we really can’t play Smith, Lee, and Randolph together.

When the starters were on the floor, especially the entire first half, the pace was great. PJC was pushing tempo, push ahead passes, attacking the rim. Guys were getting easy baskets at the rim, Rawle was finding driving lanes to pull up and hit jumpers, ect. For as well as Utah played, schemed, drew up sets, executed, all we simply had to do was get a stop and push the ball. We were by far the more talented team, and I am glad tonight these guys could clearly see that the defensive intensity led to easy, easy baskets.

Continuing off that, I LOVED PJC staring down the student section every time he made a play. That is, until his foul two three-point shooters, ran into foul trouble, and then had guys shooting over him from three.

As a result without him on the floor (and with him making those dumb fouls), we committed too many turnovers in the second half. These led to Utah run outs in transition, threes, and stupid fouls on breakdowns. Matchup 2-3 causing problems. Really swarming in the paint on touches.

Thankfully, Miller did not play Smith and Randolph together in the second half.

BUT, major props to Randolph late. He played quite well down the stretch. Showing his help responsibilities covering the PNR slips by attempting to tag those slips and slow down Collette. Getting up in his man, whom was the freaking PG, finishing through contact for the and 1 at the 4:03 2H with the game on the line.

The last negative point I will discuss is Alkins gets caught looking instead of helping Randolph on that five point play. Randolph was chasing the PG off a screen on the opposite side of the floor, then baseline around a double on the wing. Meanwhile, Rawle was caught standing there staring at the ball instead of recognizing he needed to switch with Randolph to cover the three.

Look, there were some stupid fouls, lazy defensive plays, and boneheaded mistakes. However, when the game was on the line Utah was committing live ball turnovers, throwing the ball directly out of bounds, bricking jumpers, fouling on rebounds. We were the better team, and all we had to do was realize we can win by getting stops and punishing them in transition. Which is exactly how we won. Now let’s do it a bit more in Boulder.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Wow. Post of the year. Thanks, clip.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Awesome read, Clip.Thank you.
Bangkok Wildcat

Agreed. Great read and interesting analysis Clip. Much appreciated. Bear Down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Great post, Clip.

The positives I walked away from this game with:

-We clearly are fine against zone defense. There isn't really a defensive look a team can give us that we have issues with.
-Randolph and Smith are capable of being solid options in a tough environment. Without a press, Trier can handle backup PG.
-This team's mental toughness has grown a lot. If this game was in the Bahamas, we would have folded under the second half barrage of 3's.
-PJC had the best road game against a good opponent I can remember him having.
-We crushed them on the glass.

Negatives:

-We looked lost against Utah's screens. Pretty much every open 3 was triggered by some form of screen, and they straight up murdered us with that in the 2nd half.
-Our energy/focus noticeably flagged at the beginning of the second half. It turned what could have been a blowout into a game where Utah caught momentum. By the time we got squared away, they were in it with some momentum and it was a dogfight.
-You'd hope Lee and Barcello could step into rotation roles, but Barcello is out and Lee is diminishing. Lee used to be the offensive/defensive sub for Dusan at the end of the game (like A&M). It was Pinder last night.

It was a solid win on the road, though. On to Boulder. We're looking like the team we thought we were at the beginning of the year.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Clip.. Randolph needed to stay with his man on that play, it shouldn't have been Rawle's responsibility IMO.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For what it's worth, the 46-23 rebounding difference is pretty much the extent of why we won. There are always other reasons, but doubling someone on the glass has to be the lead story out of Utah, at least in the positive sense.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Great post, Clip.

The positives I walked away from this game with:

-We clearly are fine against zone defense. There isn't really a defensive look a team can give us that we have issues with.
-Randolph and Smith are capable of being solid options in a tough environment. Without a press, Trier can handle backup PG.
-This team's mental toughness has grown a lot. If this game was in the Bahamas, we would have folded under the second half barrage of 3's.
-PJC had the best road game against a good opponent I can remember him having.
-We crushed them on the glass.

Negatives:

-We looked lost against Utah's screens. Pretty much every open 3 was triggered by some form of screen, and they straight up murdered us with that in the 2nd half.
-Our energy/focus noticeably flagged at the beginning of the second half. It turned what could have been a blowout into a game where Utah caught momentum. By the time we got squared away, they were in it with some momentum and it was a dogfight.
-You'd hope Lee and Barcello could step into rotation roles, but Barcello is out and Lee is diminishing. Lee used to be the offensive/defensive sub for Dusan at the end of the game (like A&M). It was Pinder last night.

It was a solid win on the road, though. On to Boulder. We're looking like the team we thought we were at the beginning of the year.
Yup, agree with all that.

Thought Miller going to Pinder late was telling. He doesnt trust Lee defensively right now.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Bordercat wrote:Clip.. Randolph needed to stay with his man on that play, it shouldn't have been Rawle's responsibility IMO.
Randolph had no shot to get there. He was yelling for help and Rawle was standing there staring at the ball. Miller has allowed guys to call switches, and in this case, with Randolph chasing a shooter off three screens, he needed the switch. You can even see Rawle acknowledge it after the fact.

All things considered, in MIller's typical system, you are 100% right. Randolph has to chase that. This year, Miller has adjusted a bit, because he doesnt have the defenders to run 100% of his system.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Also, glad you guys enjoyed the breakdown. I know I havent been posting them here at all, but wanted to share that one. I thought Utah did a great job, and being able to handle them last night bodes well for us moving forward. The transition is complete, and the Arizona squad we expected to see this season is here.

-Shane Battier
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

But I'm still hoping for more consistent bench production.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Also, glad you guys enjoyed the breakdown. I know I havent been posting them here at all, but wanted to share that one. I thought Utah did a great job, and being able to handle them last night bodes well for us moving forward. The transition is complete, and the Arizona squad we expected to see this season is here.
Any time you feel like posting a breakdown like that, go for it. It is much appreciated.

Utah gave us something we had never seen before, the offense structured almost exclusively around trying to create open 3's by perimeter screening. We didn't exactly respond in a stellar fashion to that, but we compensated with good offense and excellent rebounding.

It reminded me of an NCAA game. How many times do you get an opponent that busts out an unexpected wrinkle that messes up your flow? The quality we showed last night in being able to survive the onslaught of the oddness and make up for it with other qualities is something Final Four teams have to do.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Nasty crowd! Ugly :roll:

Utah’s crowd, which is the second-largest in the Pac-12 behind Arizona’s, had no shortage of jokes at UA’s expense, like donning shirts that said “FBI” and “U of Pay.”

Miller thought the crowd crossed the line.

“This is a very hard place to play and they had a hostile and nasty crowd,” he said. “They were saying crazy things and you have to play through that and I give our team a lot of credit. Even the kids who were on the bench had to go through that process. I give our team credit for being people with class and handling themselves right by playing through some moments that you don’t see a lot of times in a basketball game.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... title-race" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Utah fans are the most ill-natured, vicious, malevolent and obnoxious fans in the country.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

like donning shirts that said “FBI” and “U of Pay.”

I saw that guy with the "U of Pay" shirt. Actually thought it was really clever.

Can't diss him when UA football players are saying the same thing about the UA basketball program.
prh

Post by prh »

Being at the game, I'm 99% sure that the stuff Miller is referring to is not the shirts and the (one) FBI chant. The guys with those shirts were yelling stuff through cones aimed at the bench. Impossible to hear except for between them and the bench. Similar positioning as McKale but a little closer, since their tunnels are at mid court. The stuff the media is talking about was pretty tame and not very clever. U of Pay has been out there since it broke anyways, not new.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let's always realize Utah was pretty unconscious from 3 last night for most of the second half, even when contested, which happens sometimes.

We showed a lot of resilience in a "hostile" environment which was my key takeaway in our continued progression in becoming the team we all expected to see this year.

All signs are pointing in the right direction for March - which is all that matters.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:like donning shirts that said “FBI” and “U of Pay.”

I saw that guy with the "U of Pay" shirt. Actually thought it was really clever.

Can't diss him when UA football players are saying the same thing about the UA basketball program.
Miller can go after them, and I like that. This FBI thing is there, and a good coach turns into a motivational tool in emphasizing the "Arizona vs everybody" aspect of the situation. The best way to address it is to dig into the mindset that we'll meet those attacks with class and winning.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

HiCat wrote:Nasty crowd! Ugly :roll:

Utah’s crowd, which is the second-largest in the Pac-12 behind Arizona’s, had no shortage of jokes at UA’s expense, like donning shirts that said “FBI” and “U of Pay.”
As much as I hate saying it, the FBI and U of Pay stuff is fair game. I'd be upset if I was a coach and my fans/student section was not using that type of stuff to get any possible edge.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
HiCat wrote:Nasty crowd! Ugly :roll:

As much as I hate saying it, the FBI and U of Pay stuff is fair game. I'd be upset if I was a coach and my fans/student section was not using that type of stuff to get any possible edge.
I would 100% buy a "Team 4" Arizona A shirt. This is an area that I'm fine being the villain.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Clip, that was an awesome breakdown and very much appreciated.
Bangkok Wildcat

I don’t get the attempted insult ‘U4’.....seriously. Can someone please explain? Thanks in advance.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

forgot to post this earlier today, but game thread for colorado is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I don’t get the attempted insult ‘U4’.....seriously. Can someone please explain? Thanks in advance.

I believe we were referred to as university #4 in the FBI investigation documents.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

UAEebs86 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I don’t get the attempted insult ‘U4’.....seriously. Can someone please explain? Thanks in advance.

I believe we were referred to as university #4 in the FBI investigation documents.
Thanks UAE!

Oh, so clever....smh....let’s just do what we do and that is WIN! BTFD.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'll have my full player matchup by position breakdown with video analysis posted by noon.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Fucking knew it
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Shit. Just shit.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

This loss is completely on Miller.

Ristic playing so much will cost us a final four again. He missed 9 layups and let about a million points get scored as usual.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

luteformayor2 wrote:This loss is completely on Miller.

Ristic playing so much will cost us a final four again. He missed 9 layups and let about a million points get scored as usual.
I just can't believe Miller and team tried to ride Ristic for the win. All his touches should go to Ayton..