The refs suck

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RaisingArizona

Re: The refs suck--2016 edition

Post by RaisingArizona »

The Ball 4th is the biggie. I don't even think UCLA goes 3-2 with him on the bench. Even if they did it's a shell of the version they put out there if Holiday is at the top of it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Not blaming the refs but I would love to know how the flow of the game changes of they correctly call the forth foul on Ball instead of awfully calling a found on PJC.

UCLA takes over game after controversial call

By Jon Gold Arizona Daily Star Feb 25, 2017

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1fd9a.html" target="_blank
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

That was a huge play, and my voice has still not recovered.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Still have not gotten over that, or the game itself.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was over the game when I saw Bryce Alford grab rebounds that our team couldn't. It's uCla, and they are good, which is much better than losing to them when they suck...which we tend to do
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I hate blaming refs for losses...as far as I am concerned, if the ref error didn't occur in the endgame when there was no time to overcome it, you are just whining for not overcoming it. And, of course, there are degrees to that. For instance (using one from this game)...if the call would have put a major component of the other team down on the bench, or puts one of your stars on the bench, losing minutes at peak performance, that is a game-long impact. I'm looking at you, Lonzo Ball. That kind of thing kills fans, witness Jay Williams (good=naturedly) still talking about sitting on Jason Gardner in Minneapolis. So, while endgame errors are the true "refs lost this game for us" exception (think foul on Nick vs UW, Cancun Tech in Vegas), there is a sub-category that is arguable called "their star should have sat/our star should not have sat." The problem here is fans tend to discount when their team gets an even up call (Pinder sitting on Leaf's neck...travelling on Leaf) or maybe their star committed a big foul and the refs let it go the same way they let Lonzo's compulsive shoving...but you could argue there is no player we could lose that comes close to UCLA losing Ball, so there could easily be 3 points in there. That is an exception to the "no ref whining" rule. It has to be.

All of that said...establishing that I think teams often don't pay attention to their own favorable calls that mitigate or cancel bad calls against them and only end game bad calls truly affect results...I do find it funny to read all the "(details of horrible call that went against us that resulted in 5 point swing)" or "(details of series on the floor that would have benched their best player if called properly, resulting in likely double digit swing)" followed by the obligatory "not that I think that was the reason we lost..."

Huh? If we lost by 3 and you can point to a specific 5 point swing that was so horrible, it is worth calling out as the worst call in the game...that cost us the game if you are right. If a ref truly blew it against us in a way that they did not return to UCLA resulting in a +3 swing for UCLA, it literally cost us the game, whether we played well, poorly, or average.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

EVCat wrote:Huh? If we lost by 3 and you can point to a specific 5 point swing that was so horrible, it is worth calling out as the worst call in the game...that cost us the game if you are right. If a ref truly blew it against us in a way that they did not return to UCLA resulting in a +3 swing for UCLA, it literally cost us the game, whether we played well, poorly, or average.
That block in the first half could have been called goal tending. It led to a Ball fast break 3 point play
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Frybry02 wrote:All I want is consistency. I must be insane because that's all I ever wanted and nothing changes.
Still looking for it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

It was bad both ways, both teams were in the bonus really early
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

NYCat wrote:It was bad both ways, both teams were in the bonus really early
I agree with that. But I still don't know what is or isn't a foul.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It was blatantly, lets not let this get out of hand in the second half. CU must have shot close to 30 attempts from the foul line tonight.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

They were definitely in our favor today

They were also terrible during Gonzaga/Northwestern
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:They were definitely in our favor today

One of the announcers pretty much said the same thing, UA received a favorable call, but nothing like that Zag player putting his hand through the rim which would have cut the lead to 3 with NW having all the momentum.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

NYCat wrote:They were definitely in our favor today

Perhaps. I can think of two fairly blatant charges against St. Mary's that were missed. Lauri clearly got away with one, but a lot of folks are bitching about no flagrant on Ristic on the and 1 and it was clear that they made the right call on that play.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We clearly received some nice calls down the stretch, most notably the LM call. The Ristic one was a basketball play only and at worst it should have been a play on..

Overall in this tourney I think there have been many questionable calls. Not sure if its anymore than usual. The zags non call was pretty blatant and for both the center and trail ref to miss that, well their tourney is over
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

The refs are not fairing any better today.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

azcat49 wrote:We clearly received some nice calls down the stretch, most notably the LM call. The Ristic one was a basketball play only and at worst it should have been a play on..

Overall in this tourney I think there have been many causation able calls. Not sure if its anymore than usual. The zags non call was pretty blatant and for both the center and trail ref to miss that, well their tourney is over
I get that in some ways it LOOKED like we were getting favorable calls towards the end but it was pretty even if you ask me...LM getting shoved to the ground and called for a travel comes to mind...and the start of the game we got ALL the ticky tack hand check calls as I recall...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Time and score mean a lot but hey, I was very happy with the refs yesterday LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The officiating was certainly leaning Arizona last night, but it was far from brutal and there werent any "refs cost St Marys the game" calls. That late call was tough and not so obvious that anyone would have seen it wasnt the right call until having the benefit of seeing the replay. However, last night there was nothing but the refs cost St Marys the game tweets :lol:

All I can say, we have earned the right to have a night in our favor. They are few and far between, regular and postseason games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Refs just blew two straight calls in this UNC/Arkansas game to hand the game to Carolina.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

I'd say that the Gonzaga, Kentucky, and UNC games were all influenced heavily by officiating. Like what was said in the tourney thread, continuing narratives.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Dayton and darling Wichita State is another game. Until they get the bigger darling. Theres been a few more
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Never been so happy to see a PAC ref crew than I was watching Dook yesterday.

Welcome to our nightmare, East Coast.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It was funny as hell. Between this board and texting a friend, we were talking about the inevitable Duke homer calls coming late. And they came, three straight. But then SC would go down to the other end and get a crap call to balance it out. You saw the faces on Coach K and the Duke players, each time it was like, "Dude, that is not how the script reads." The last five minutes of that game seemed like it took an hour.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:It was funny as hell. Between this board and texting a friend, we were talking about the inevitable Duke homer calls coming late. And they came, three straight. But then SC would go down to the other end and get a crap call to balance it out. You saw the faces on Coach K and the Duke players, each time it was like, "Dude, that is not how the script reads." The last five minutes of that game seemed like it took an hour.
That's funny. I wasn't really reading this board, but I had the exact same reaction looking at K's face. You could almost see the "it was a foul, but they're not supposed to call that" look. SC got some free throws that I didn't expect, but not because it wasn't a foul.
Chicat

Re: The refs suck

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
lmfao
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I was at McKale today and I was worried the refs were going to get pelted going into halftime. Then they doubled down by calling a foul every possession for a while in the 2nd half.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

They absolutely sucked. They refused to even review that play in the first half. But near the end of the game, they reviewed a play when the ball was knocked out of bounds under the basket. There was really no justification for not reviewing that play in the first half.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BBQ wildcat wrote:They absolutely sucked. They refused to even review that play in the first half. But near the end of the game, they reviewed a play when the ball was knocked out of bounds under the basket. There was really no justification for not reviewing that play in the first half.

On TV they said they can only review in the last two minutes of the second half.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

#Shithole Refs

Just got back home and I need some hot tea to soothe my sore throat yelling at these refs. I've seen many bad games called, but these guys were just clueless out there. I'm actually shocked a fan didn't do something stupid going into halftime.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:#Shithole Refs

Just got back home and I need some hot tea to soothe my sore throat yelling at these refs. I've seen many bad games called, but these guys were just clueless out there. I'm actually shocked a fan didn't do something stupid going into halftime.
Yeah, I was behind the student section and the entire crowd was up and screaming at them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It takes a certain kind of talent to ignore basic laws of physics.

Pac-12 refs are really special.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There needs to be some kind of review of that game
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I was at McKale today and I was worried the refs were going to get pelted going into halftime. Then they doubled down by calling a foul every possession for a while in the 2nd half.
Yeah, they get booed off the floor at half once or twice a year, but today was legendary in terms of how loud and how mad everyone was. I cant even begin to think of how many brutal calls there were that game. Had to have been a 20 point swing because of the officiating. Never seen Miller punch those scrolling LED advertisement lights before, he did it twice, hard.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:They absolutely sucked. They refused to even review that play in the first half. But near the end of the game, they reviewed a play when the ball was knocked out of bounds under the basket. There was really no justification for not reviewing that play in the first half.

On TV they said they can only review in the last two minutes of the second half.
So they can review pretty much anything during the game, except for possession issues, which they can only review in the last 2 minutes? What a shitty rule, if it is a rule. Any idea whether it is NCAA or PAC-12?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:There needs to be some kind of review of that game
I keep having to talk sense into myself that a game like this wouldnt be fixed. It was that bad, definitely needs to be reviewed and acted upon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I was at McKale today and I was worried the refs were going to get pelted going into halftime. Then they doubled down by calling a foul every possession for a while in the 2nd half.
Yeah, they get booed off the floor at half once or twice a year, but today was legendary in terms of how loud and how mad everyone was. I cant even begin to think of how many brutal calls there were that game. Had to have been a 20 point swing because of the officiating. Never seen Miller punch those scrolling LED advertisement lights before, he did it twice, hard.
He’s punched it before. Today he tried to kill it.

Altman probably had a right to be pissed too. Tons of inconsistency.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
He’s punched it before. Today he tried to kill it.

Altman probably had a right to be pissed too. Tons of inconsistency.
The second half was pretty consistent, in terms of consistently calling a foul on every single possession.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

34-37
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Bump
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So....

Game at home, #11 Arizona vs Utah, on national over the air broadcast network t.v......

....and those are the refs the pac12 put on display?

#whatafuckingjoke #pac12refs
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

cats101

Post by cats101 »

That was downright awful. Can't believe what I just witnessed
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I never think the refs try to fix games, I think they are just incompetent. With that said, it looked like the fix was in today.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've never been so livid after a game.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I've never been so livid after a win...
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Casey Jacobsen wondering "how was this game so close with Arizona shooting 64%?" Did you watch the game, asshole?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

As I mentioned in the game thread, I have been following the Cats since the first game at McKale. There have been tons of horribly officiated games during those 45 or so years. But these refs need to be lined up against tha wall and shot.