YoDeFoe

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by YoDeFoe »

Who wore it better?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

“Dad, I don’t understand.  What is she saying you did?” – Lisa Simpson 

“Well, Lisa, remember that postcard Grampa sent us from Florida of that alligator biting that woman’s bottom?” – Homer Simpson 

“Oh yeah, that was brilliant!” – Bart Simpson 

“That’s right, we all thought it was hilarious, but it turns out we were wrong.  That alligator was sexually harassing that woman.” – Homer Simpson 

“And the dog in the Coppertone ads, same deal, Dad?” – Bart Simpson 

“That’s kind of a gray area.” – Homer Simpson
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Thank you, Bill with 2 ll's.
NorthCtyCat

Post by NorthCtyCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Runs like a cheetah
Soars like an eagle
Footwork like a mountain goat
Vision like a hawk
Throws it down like an elephant
Defends like a grizzly bear
It is the most random comments aside from how good solar is during basketball games.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Jefe wrote:Image
Did they call this? I’m guessing they didn’t? Great pic though!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Sam Vecenie dropping knowledge in his recent post on the Fieldhouse.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Highlights:

Offensive players are shooting a robust 57.5 percent against Ristic on the 40 shots at the rim and post-ups when he’s been the primary defender, and just 32.6 percent on 49 shots in similar situations when Ayton is the one at the rim, according to Synergy. Those are the numbers of one of the best rim protectors in America, and he's often stuck in a position where he's unable to fulfill that role.

but...

But basketball doesn’t always operate from a theoretical perspective. Often, things work that probably should not work. And so far, this is one of those things. Statistically, it’s made sense for Miller to play Ristic and Ayton together.

Now, there are obviously some caveats. First, this isn’t a large sample size — just 365 minutes. Also, lineups with Ristic and Ayton together have more consistently played with Rawle Alkins over the past four games in the data set, and he’s a significant improvement on any other non-Allonzo Trier wing. Over those four games, Arizona is a plus-49 with Ristic-Ayton lineups, unquestionably an indication of Alkins’ importance to the team. But Alkins’ presence alone isn’t enough to dismiss the effect.

There are reasons it shouldn’t work, but it has. And here, in part, is why. First, the pairing has absolutely controlled the glass in Pac-12 so far, as the Wildcats rank first in both offensive and defensive rebounding rate. Also, the pair have already developed a symmetry together as post-up passers and divers. Each player is good at drawing attention on the block, and then finding the other for an easy layup.

Finally, Ristic is a better option a lot of the time than what Arizona has to offer, regardless of the fit questions. Brandon Randolph, a 6-6 freshman guard, and Dylan Smith, a 6-5 sophomore guard, are fine, but neither is a particularly efficient scorer or defender so far in their first full year of play in Miller’s pack-line defensive scheme.

Ira Lee, a 6-7 freshman forward, is active and athletic, but has a 45.6 percent true-shooting percentage and can get turnover prone when he tries to do too much. Similarly, 6-7 freshman guard Emmanuel Akot has a 42.1 true-shooting percentage and 25 percent turnover rate. Even if he’s going to give them less mobility on the perimeter defensively, it’s not like the cavalcade of freshmen are much less of a turnstile anyway — especially when Ristic’s game on offense is much more polished and clearly has not affected Ayton’s overall efficiency, even with the extra defenders he brings in help defense.

In a season that has brought Miller more scrutiny than ever — because of the FBI investigation and the Wildcats’ poor trip to the Bahamas — there are plenty of valid criticisms of the Wildcats. They have issues on the perimeter containing penetration defensively with their guards, particularly 5-11 senior guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright and 6-5 junior guard Trier. They struggle to get back in transition defense and allow easy baskets. And more than that, they haven’t displayed the will and toughness that Miller requires from his kids, a problem that has resulted in multiple rants this season from the coach about how he has to find a better way to reach his players.

Complaining about an Ayton-Ristic twin tower pairing inside seems to be missing the forest for the trees.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Yeah, I mean sitting Ristic isnt the solution. But defensively we are still having issues, primarily with teams pinpointing sets and actions against Ristic. Nothing he can do about that, but I would love to see Miller adapt more to the Rawle at the 4 lineups and get some run there. The defense is always going to be an issue.

Posted it on scout, but simple plus minus, especially in a limited sample size as he mentions, isnt going to tell the full story. Just like defensive rating certainly is not going to tell the full story. I would love to see some DRPM numbers for Ristic. Also doesnt do anything regarding my issue of floor spacing for Trier, but thats a different debate. Still, that is some solid data.

We need more advanced stats to show the full picture, but the overall premise is, and has been, sitting Ristic isnt the solution
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

There's Ristic, but then there's options. That's our problem. Ristic has issues, but who substitutes for him? Chance Comanche.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:There's Ristic, but then there's options. That's our problem. Ristic has issues, but who substitutes for him? Chance Comanche.
That will always be the issue. Another issue we are going to have is the bench in postseason play. Miller is going to need to find two, maybe three guys he can trust in case of foul trouble or match ups. I would keep experimenting with the small lineup, because someone is going to have to fill that role late in the season when Miller cant play Ristic defensively. It will happen. He has to get someone ready. Problem is, he needs wins badly after the Bahamas.

-Shane Battier
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Why can't we play small? Ayton and DEUCE on the floor together jams the paint on offense so were limited to kick outs. Our guards can't cut or penetrate when DEUCE is on the weak side. Would love to see ayton and four perimeter players.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:There's Ristic, but then there's options. That's our problem. Ristic has issues, but who substitutes for him? Chance Comanche.
That will always be the issue. Another issue we are going to have is the bench in postseason play. Miller is going to need to find two, maybe three guys he can trust in case of foul trouble or match ups. I would keep experimenting with the small lineup, because someone is going to have to fill that role late in the season when Miller cant play Ristic defensively. It will happen. He has to get someone ready. Problem is, he needs wins badly after the Bahamas.
I think he will. The issue is that the replacement needs to come from the Pinder, Lee, Akot, Randolph and Smith group and none of those guys have shown that they're capable of handling more than 10-15 min.

It puts us in the position of not being able to sub someone for Dusan, but having to steal time with our alternatives. Frankly, the best option might be to play Randolph/Smith and Lee/Pinder 15 mpg each, cut Dusan to 10 and have most of the other starters playing 35-40 with heavy timeout usage to stave off fatigue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatHoops wrote:Why can't we play small? Ayton and DEUCE on the floor together jams the paint on offense so were limited to kick outs. Our guards can't cut or penetrate when DEUCE is on the weak side. Would love to see ayton and four perimeter players.
Because Randolph and Smith are the replacements and neither brings a better defensive matchup than Dusan. They both have defensive weaknesses, so it's trading one weakness for another. I'm not sure how much better the offense would be, either. We've been good on offense before Rado, and that game was a product of misisng a torrent of 3's.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

CatHoops wrote:Why can't we play small? Ayton and DEUCE on the floor together jams the paint on offense so were limited to kick outs. Our guards can't cut or penetrate when DEUCE is on the weak side. Would love to see ayton and four perimeter players.
Just a random thought, but to truly play small, it would require Miller adjusting his offense and defense.

Not sold on Miller's offense anyway, but its a bit clunky and wouldnt take full advantage of going small. He obviously could make some tweaks, and it certainly could work, but I dont see him lifting the entire offense above the FT line, running spread PNR, forcsing switches, ect.

Size on defense seems to be his priority. Taking one big out who helps muck things up in the lane, for a smaller wing allows more room to operation off the bounce once a man is beat. We know what Miller wants to do defensively, and he wants to bend on his principles and defensive assignments as little as possible. We would see more switching, but we arent good defending the perimeter anyway and dont have AG, NJ, RHJ, Standley, TJMC, ect. to ramp up the ball pressure and switch with no concerns.

Just my thoughts, and I can go much, much deeper, as I have been thinking about this for years.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
I think he will. The issue is that the replacement needs to come from the Pinder, Lee, Akot, Randolph and Smith group and none of those guys have shown that they're capable of handling more than 10-15 min.

It puts us in the position of not being able to sub someone for Dusan, but having to steal time with our alternatives. Frankly, the best option might be to play Randolph/Smith and Lee/Pinder 15 mpg each, cut Dusan to 10 and have most of the other starters playing 35-40 with heavy timeout usage to stave off fatigue.
Randolph and Smith are the most likely guys to be ready. Hes giving them PT, but its difficult when we are in a slugfest. He has to develop them, and hope Lee is able to calm down and pick up his assignments.

I like Lee's prospects here in Tucson, but there is no way I am putting him and Pinder out there and cutting Ristic's minutes unless its absolutely needed defensively. Keep in mind Lee has a lot of defensive issues himself and Pinder is/has been a situational role player.

-Shane Battier
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm REALLY hopeful we can get some blow out wins coming up soon so that we can get more game time to Akot, Randolph, Smith and Lee.

Honestly can't believe that depth is an issue for a team that returned four starters and brought in a four man top five class. Basketball continues to not be played on paper though.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Depth isn't an issue it's just an excuse to give DEUCE his 25min. The team will be less talented but more successful next year when he's playing euro ball somewhere.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Randolph and Smith are the most likely guys to be ready. Hes giving them PT, but its difficult when we are in a slugfest. He has to develop them, and hope Lee is able to calm down and pick up his assignments.

I like Lee's prospects here in Tucson, but there is no way I am putting him and Pinder out there and cutting Ristic's minutes unless its absolutely needed defensively. Keep in mind Lee has a lot of defensive issues himself and Pinder is/has been a situational role player.
Miller usually prizes execution over raw ability. Lee and Randolph clearly have more raw ability than Dusan but Dusan executes funadmentals correctly.

It's a tradeoff. Dusan will give up points because of his physical limitations. Lee and Randolph will give up points because they don't execute the system right and you wind up defending 4 on 5. Lee plays hard, and I'd love to see him start turning that effort into production.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I’d love to see Lee stop with the whiny faces after a foul is called on him or even better after someone misses him when he’s open in the post. Like yeah, they should have swung you the ball, but also you’re the fifth most efficient scoring option whenever you’re on the floor so maybe shut the fuck up and earn your shots.

Caveat: I’m a huge Lee fan and the above is a thorn in my side.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

More Ayton content, this time from Medcalf:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... d/22023803" target="_blank
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Was at the game today, Deandre doesn't seem quite healthy. He was limping ALOT, think his back was hurting him or something, maybe a leg or hip issue. It got better as the game wore on and he played more.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Was at the game today, Deandre doesn't seem quite healthy. He was limping ALOT, think his back was hurting him or something, maybe a leg or hip issue. It got better as the game wore on and he played more.
He got knocked around a lot today. I saw him limping and grabbing his lower back after 1 knockdown and he hit his head being knocked down another time. He looked fine after a little bit after each of those, at least to me.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thats just the nature of the beast w low post play. Lots of banging and physicality. Ayton is one of the more resilient low post players you will see, not sure he has come out of a game yet for these reasons. The lower back thing happened when an Oregon player ran up behind him and collided with his lower back.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

More Ayton commentary:

http://amp.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ssion=true" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Altman called him the best Pac player he’s seen in 8 years at Oregon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That last lob from Trier, I was sitting behind the opposite basket. It looked like Trier launched it out of bounds. Ayton's length is insane.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I legit feel bad for him in games like last night. People were slapping him constantly without calls because you can't handle him without that. Oregon had like 2 or 3 guys banging him all day on Saturday. He's making defenses treat him like prime Shaq.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Lee plays hard, and I'd love to see him start turning that effort into production.
Lee plays like a thoughtful player who really, really, really wants to do his best.

In other words...he thinks too much, speeds up, and makes mistakes. When he gets calm/confident, I think he will be an asset. Right now, he seems to be playing like a lot of thoughtful, smart, eager players...he wants to do it all, and right, and RIGHTNOW!

Times this by 1,000,000, and lower the talent level a little and up the need for control at the position a little, and you have Alex Barcello. Frozen. Thinking. Always. Go right...go straight...now shoot. Run back...wait, where do I go now? Oh, left...too late.

Thinking...a player's worst enemy. You do. You know. If you think, you are dead.

It comes with confidence and repetition. The incredibly skilled just dominate, and never have to think why. The moderately skilled have to practice until it is rote.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I legit feel bad for him in games like last night. People were slapping him constantly without calls because you can't handle him without that. Oregon had like 2 or 3 guys banging him all day on Saturday. He's making defenses treat him like prime Shaq.
Yeah he was getting maimed last night. Wore it well, kid's toughness is undeniable.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Lee plays hard, and I'd love to see him start turning that effort into production.
Lee plays like a thoughtful player who really, really, really wants to do his best.

In other words...he thinks too much, speeds up, and makes mistakes. When he gets calm/confident, I think he will be an asset. Right now, he seems to be playing like a lot of thoughtful, smart, eager players...he wants to do it all, and right, and RIGHTNOW!

Times this by 1,000,000, and lower the talent level a little and up the need for control at the position a little, and you have Alex Barcello. Frozen. Thinking. Always. Go right...go straight...now shoot. Run back...wait, where do I go now? Oh, left...too late.

Thinking...a player's worst enemy. You do. You know. If you think, you are dead.

It comes with confidence and repetition. The incredibly skilled just dominate, and never have to think why. The moderately skilled have to practice until it is rote.
Yeah, he is in that "ugly duckling phase" - that awkward transition between two levels.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Yeah, he is in that "ugly duckling phase" - that awkward transition between two levels.
Lee reminds me of a puppy, if we're using animal comparisons. Tons of energy and emotion, very of little of which is controlled or directed towards good outcomes. Just bouncing off things and occasionally peeing on your rug.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tons of energy and emotion, very of little of which is controlled or directed towards good outcomes. Just bouncing off things and occasionally peeing on your rug.

:lol: :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Lee reminds me of a puppy, if we're using animal comparisons. Tons of energy and emotion, very of little of which is controlled or directed towards good outcomes. Just bouncing off things and occasionally peeing on your rug.
I thought the same thing about Simon. Hopefully Lee will blossom in an Arizona uniform. He's going to be good.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I assume that you are referring to Justin Simon who did not blossom until he removed the AZ uni and was blessed by Saint John.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Ira Lee is Gene Edgerson with talent.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This team needs to figure it out and get hungry. What an absolute punch in the gut if a deep run isn't made with LM and DA on the roster back to back years.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CatHoops wrote:Depth isn't an issue it's just an excuse to give DEUCE his 25min. The team will be less talented but more successful next year when he's playing euro ball somewhere.
This opinion is not supported by a single shred of data, but hey, data sucks, amirite?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I have a feeling that Ayton is/was going at about 75% on the season. I expect we see even more greatness as the regular season winds down, and the tournaments come up.

Also, he needs to get away from PAC 12 officials. Totally took him out of the game on phantom, bullshit calls. Glad Miller got T'd up, thought he should have gone even further IMO.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:I have a feeling that Ayton is/was going at about 75% on the season. I expect we see even more greatness as the regular season winds down, and the tournaments come up.

Also, he needs to get away from PAC 12 officials. Totally took him out of the game on phantom, bullshit calls. Glad Miller got T'd up, thought he should have gone even further IMO.
It is my humble opinion that EVERY Miller big man needs to get away from Pac-12 officials. Neutered Zeus quite a bit, and may Jeter if he doesn't watch what's happening.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I have a feeling that Ayton is/was going at about 75% on the season. I expect we see even more greatness as the regular season winds down, and the tournaments come up.

It is my humble opinion that EVERY Miller big man needs to get away from Pac-12 officials. Neutered Zeus quite a bit, and may Jeter if he doesn't watch what's happening.
It reminded me of when DWill fouled out of a game in 8 minutes at UW his soph year, I believe. Taking Ayton out of that game for extended periods coupled with the foul disparity, caused the drama that the PAC was seeking in that game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

He will be on Sportscenter at night with Scott Van Pelt tonight-Tuesday 1/23.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ayton's the best thing to happen to this program in a while.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

One more year!
One more year!
One more year!
One more year!

Hey, a fella can dream right? :lol: :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Haha love this guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:One more year!
One more year!
One more year!
One more year!

I love Arizona basketball, but if there's ever been a no brainer to leave, it's Ayton. We're lucky enough we got him for a year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:One more year!
One more year!
One more year!
One more year!

I love Arizona basketball, but if there's ever been a no brainer to leave, it's Ayton. We're lucky enough we got him for a year.

Like 97 would say, zero chance.

He already told the kids at his school in the Bahamas he was one and done.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Hrm, I thought it was rather obvious I was joking. what with the two laughing smileys and the mention of dreaming and the fact that he's obviously (and should be) gone after this year.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Hrm, I thought it was rather obvious I was joking. what with the two laughing smileys and the mention of dreaming and the fact that he's obviously (and should be) gone after this year.
Stop it with the denial. You have to accept he's not coming back, and you have to stop trying convince everyone that he is. All this "proof" you keep offering is nothing more than your own delusion. It's getting sad, and frankly, a little scary.