let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: let's talk '18

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just wait until he starts calling Sean Miller at 2 in the morning.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Oregon or Gonzaga I can stomach, I get it. ASU would be the biggest bitch move in history though and I would shit on this kid daily if he made that move. "Gee thanks Arizona for sticking by me when others backed off due to my injury, let me reward you by committing to your instate rival after decommitting after a blatantly false report was released to make you look bad."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In all honesty, my major anger is directed at ESPN still. Even if that report is fully debunked, they really f***ed us for years to come. Williams and Shareef would be in the fold without that, and they would be contributors for a while.

They got all the negative consequences visited on us without showing they were right on the report. I still have a tough time blaming the players, who only get college once. ESPN isn't under that gun.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This makes me feel better.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all honesty, my major anger is directed at ESPN still. Even if that report is fully debunked, they really f***ed us for years to come. Williams and Shareef would be in the fold without that, and they would be contributors for a while.

They got all the negative consequences visited on us without showing they were right on the report. I still have a tough time blaming the players, who only get college once. ESPN isn't under that gun.
You're right, ultimately the blame falls on ESPN for this hot mess.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all honesty, my major anger is directed at ESPN still. Even if that report is fully debunked, they really f***ed us for years to come. Williams and Shareef would be in the fold without that, and they would be contributors for a while.

You're right, ultimately the blame falls on ESPN for this hot mess.
This! I still think some sort of legal action against ESPN (even if odds are low) might help win the ‘PR War’ vs ESpin. Or does it just drag out their BS and make their talking heads drag it out and trash us further?

Still so extremely pissed off at their click bait, double downs, hit piece on us. Also very disappointed in Shareef and Mom not being able to see through this and/or rush their decision...just added fuel to the ESPN smoke.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Top 100 PG from California decommited from UConn due to Ollie being fired

https://247sports.com/Player/James-Akinjo-93836" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote: Top 100 PG from California decommited from UConn due to Ollie being fired

I'd take him and a grad transfer PG.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So are we going to refer to ourselves in 2018 as #TransferU?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:So are we going to refer to ourselves in 2018 as #TransferU?
You are who you can recruit.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote: Top 100 PG from California decommited from UConn due to Ollie being fired

2017 Peach Jam MVP. Only 6'0" but he's a gamer. I'd rather have BWill but if he doesn't want to join I'd gladly take Akinjo.
prh

Post by prh »

6'0" means likely to stay four years. Sign me up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Normal sit out a year transfer that we're on.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ames-scott" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Normal sit out a year transfer that we're on.

I'll admit I haven't watched a ton of Kennesaw State games, but he appears to be able to score the ball.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'll admit I haven't watched a ton of Kennesaw State games, but he appears to be able to score the ball.
just not efficiently. Have not seen him either, but, those stats are scary. more turnovers than assists.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

just not efficiently. Have not seen him either, but, those stats are scary. more turnovers than assists.
Yeah on the surface it looks like Dylan Smith v2.0 to me.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah on the surface it looks like Dylan Smith v2.0 to me.
Regarding that, if he was a good defender, I'd be into that. Smith isn't bad, but I'd like his contributions much better if he was a stouter defender.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I hope the northern Colorado pg transfers and is immediately eligible
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Looks like Tevian Jones is out of the picture. Hoping for BW, Doutrive, and transfers.
Arizona offered four-star guard Tevian Jones in early February and appeared to be gaining some traction in his recruitment before the ESPN wiretap report, but it appears that is no longer the case.

Jones, an Arizona native who attends Culver City HS in California, has visited Illinois and plans to visit Xavier, Mississippi State, and probably Cal too, per 247Sports.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... ts-commits
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

For high school kids i'd look at Doutrive and the PG who just decommitted from UCONN, James Akinjo. I still have zero faith Williams ends up back with us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:For high school kids i'd look at Doutrive and the PG who just decommitted from UCONN, James Akinjo. I still have zero faith Williams ends up back with us.
We might as well keep recruiting Williams and see what happens. Right now, it's not like we're so overflowing with options that we can be super picky.

Heck, we could sign Williams and Akinjo both and have playing time for both of them next year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't think it matters if Arizona keeps recruiting Williams, which they still are BTW.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So it sounds like both Choo and NYCat don't think we have a chance on Williams. That is disappointing
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

How about: what coaches are we recruiting??

Because we have two openings on the bench after Romar exits and no one to help Miller recruit in the off-season. No way that Miller and his family enjoy this job more with LESS help.

Can I please cross my fingers and pray to God that Thad Matta comes to Tucson. I know I'm crazy but look: we just picked up Romar and Kevin Sumlin. We're basically the top coaching destination among southern border schools.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

On March 2nd, 2018 five-star guard Brandon Williams out of Crespi (Calif.) de-committed from Arizona amidst the Sean Miller scandal. Williams became a super hot commodity when he re-opened his recruitment.

"I got so many calls I couldn't even keep up," Williams told me.

Among those schools to call Williams the day he announced he was decommitting were the Oregon Ducks. I was able to chat with Brandon Williams earlier today about the Ducks.

1. Jake Weingarten, ScoopDuck: How did you feel when you picked up the Oregon offer?

Brandon Williams: Always happy after an offer especially from a prestigious school like Oregon because I know what they have done with their players, and I mean it's Oregon... and having the opportunity to play with guys like Bol and Lou can't pass that up.

2. Jake: Have you been in touch with anyone from the 2018 class?

Brandon: Yeah, as a matter of fact, they [Bol/Lou] both texted me yesterday.

3. Jake: What did you and Coach Altmann talk about?

Brandon: Coach Altman tells me how they need a guard with a "pop", get in the lanes and make smart decisions.

4. Jake: Thoughts on the coaching staff?

Brandon: I love the coaching staff. I have that feeling that I have with Arizona as far as I can talk to them about almost anything. Even though I only knew them for a few weeks, they have been texting me every day just checking up.

5. Jake: Seems like Bol and the guys want you in Eugene, what have they said to you about it?

Brandon: They've said a lot, Bol was saying how he wants a guard that can get in the paint and make athletic plays for him. I told him, I played with Deandre Ayton before and it wasn't hard to throw it up and tell him to go get it (laughs). Then with another guy like Lou a shooter and bucket getter, he will find a way to score.

6. Jake: How do you think you’d mesh with a guard like Will Richardson?

Brandon: I don't think that would be a big issue. I can play with honestly anybody, moving the position on the court or who brings the ball up. Will is a great player that I have no problem playing alongside with.

7. Jake: Brandon, I’ve had fans ask. When are you visiting Eugene, give us the date or a time table! (he answers later in the story)

Brandon: Haha, to be honest, I'm not even sure yet. I can give you guys this, when I go I'm pretty sure I'll be accompanied by another prospect (!).
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:How about: what coaches are we recruiting??

Because we have two openings on the bench after Romar exits and no one to help Miller recruit in the off-season. No way that Miller and his family enjoy this job more with LESS help.

Can I please cross my fingers and pray to God that Thad Matta comes to Tucson. I know I'm crazy but look: we just picked up Romar and Kevin Sumlin. We're basically the top coaching destination among southern border schools.
Adam Cohen from Stanford should've been a candidate to replace Pasternack before Romar became a possibility
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Really don't see Oregon as a destination when they already have Richardson as a freshman and Pritchard as a junior. But maybe BWill sees himself as being strong enough to take over the starting spot. He didn't shy from the competition here - though we weren't returning an All Conference lead guard.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Williams is definitely better than Akinjo but we need a primary ball handler. I'm not sure Barcello can be that guy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:I don't think it matters if Arizona keeps recruiting Williams, which they still are BTW.
This.

Read that bullshit interview, makes me nauseous.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:How about: what coaches are we recruiting??

Miller and Phelps are recruiting. Rarely do you need more than 2 guys if you have narrowed your targets.

Fwiw my 2 guys are Adam Cohen and Raphael Chillous to replace Romar and Book. I have no idea who we can get, but im certain Cohen will be offered a spot.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Could use the immediate post depth, hopefully Miller goes after him.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Elmore can certainly fill up the stat sheet. Props to Marshall on its first NCAA tournament win. Easiest upset prediction ever.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So doutrive and O’Neal squared off in the state playoffs with Miller watching the game. To me that’s a good sign that Miller isn’t going anywhere. Can we pull Williams, doutrive and O’Neal with a few grad transfers?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

3goggles wrote:So doutrive and O’Neal squared off in the state playoffs with Miller watching the game. To me that’s a good sign that Miller isn’t going anywhere. Can we pull Williams, doutrive and O’Neal with a few grad transfers?
O'Neal??? I think that ship has sailed.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

zonagrad wrote:
3goggles wrote:So doutrive and O’Neal squared off in the state playoffs with Miller watching the game. To me that’s a good sign that Miller isn’t going anywhere. Can we pull Williams, doutrive and O’Neal with a few grad transfers?
Has it! I thought somebody said they had regrets committing to UCLA so soon
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

3goggles wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Well, with Alford as the head coach that's probably been mentioned by a few recruits.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

zonagrad wrote:
3goggles wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Well, with Alford as the head coach that's probably been mentioned by a few recruits.
Hey man I have seen crazier things happen in this tournament(UMBC beating Virginia) then getting O’Neal back on our side.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote:
3goggles wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
And probably by quite a few recruits after they had been there for 1 week and at 2 weeks and at 3 weeks, etc...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
He did, he's over it. He's staying at ucla.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Did he sign a letter of intent, or just scholarship papers? Either way, he is not coming back to AZ.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If UCLA fires Alford (doubtful) we can grab those kids.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

TheCat wrote:If UCLA fires Alford (doubtful) we can grab those kids.
Not this year...Alford is good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Did he sign a letter of intent, or just scholarship papers? Either way, he is not coming back to AZ.
NLI signing day for the spring isn't until April. He will be signing with ucla then. He's a much better fit at UCLA than Arizona and quite frankly if it weren't for the Ball family he would've committed to them long ago.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Absurd amount of rebounds for Doutrive vs Reef's team in the game Miller watched. His teammate though, Koloko is a freak. My concern is he'll blow up when teams finally watch him and it won't matter that Arizona was Koloko's first offer and could possibly have his teammate on roster.
I'm hoping we close with Doutrieve, Akinjo and some grad transfer bigs. If somehow by miracle Williams comes back, cool.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Of the other schools BW is considering, I'm not sure he'd start anywhere but AZ.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Of the other schools BW is considering, I'm not sure he'd start anywhere but AZ.
Lol if you say so.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Of the other schools BW is considering, I'm not sure he'd start anywhere but AZ.
Lol if you say so.
Oregon has Brown and Pritchard, UCLA has Hands and Wilkes, Gonzaga has Perkins and Norvell. It's doubtful any of these guys are leaving early. Where else is BW considering?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol if you say so.
Oregon has Brown and Pritchard, UCLA has Hands and Wilkes, Gonzaga has Perkins and Norvell. It's doubtful any of these guys are leaving early. Where else is BW considering?
Brown is a wing and likely NBA bound and you can argue Pritchard is Oregon's problem right now. I'd play both Pritchard and Williams at the same time and Altman would too. I'm not considering UCLA at all in this. Zaga does have Perkins, but Norvell can easily slide over to the 3. So at 2 of the 3 you named he could and very likely easily start.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol if you say so.
Brown is a wing and likely NBA bound and you can argue Pritchard is Oregon's problem right now. I'd play both Pritchard and Williams at the same time and Altman would too. I'm not considering UCLA at all in this. Zaga does have Perkins, but Norvell can easily slide over to the 3. So at 2 of the 3 you named he could and very likely easily start.
That's quite high expectations you're giving BW. He's clearly a good player, but talented freshmen have an uphill battle to start over older, more experienced players, especially guys who started throughout the previous season. It's really only the Aytons and Bagleys of the world who can come in and start from day one. By some rating services, BW isn't even among the top 10 PGs in his class. He's good, but is he as awesome as you're making him sound? Is he a program-changer? I don't think so. But at AZ, he'd arguably be more central to our success next season than he would at other schools.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

BW does know and can see we need a PG. That's why he hesitated in decommitting.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion