let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Welcome to Randolph! Nice add on the wing. He's got a lot of potential for a four star.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The shooter we need and missed on with Ferguson
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Outstanding news.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I will probably die soon. The future is so bright I will get skin cancer.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

How bright is bright...I think that Walker is a lock, Lee is a lock, everyone tells me McCoy (but I have a tough time with that one). I also think we get at least one verbal from '18 from this weekend.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Azgirl wrote:How bright is bright...I think that Walker is a lock, Lee is a lock, everyone tells me McCoy (but I have a tough time with that one). I also think we get at least one verbal from '18 from this weekend.
Bout time you joined lol

I think we get Brandon Williams this weekend from 18
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Thanks ME, Brandon William is a great pick for '18. Surprised we made PJ Washington's final three (UK is the team to beat).
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:As long as we don't get Jelani McCoy.
I did a media marketing project back in school for Guilio Scalinger's class where I pitched a documentary based upon the John Feinstein book "A Season Inside".

You had to write a treatment, do financials, etc. My plan was to follow 3 college basketball players and a recruit...Hoop Dreams style, except Hoop Dreams had not happened. I had Damon Stoudamire (of course), Some kid named Nygard (?) from Wisconsin Green Bay, another random low level player, and my high school recruit was Jelani McCoy.

My co-producer (read...one who did not have his project picked) was with the basketball team staff, so we were able to use the AD color printer and he was able to send requests for media material on our "subjects". Basically, that dude did the leg work, I wrote the treatment and compiled the budget, then went to his place to hammer it out on his old Apple (well, it was new then...I had a Tandy 1000 with a dot matrix printer the size of my condo, so...).

At first, Scalinger was critical of my pitch. And I can see why...another kid with a baseball cap pitching a sports movie. But I wasn't a jock or frat boy...I may have looked it, but I did my homework. We took a week break for Guilio to attend Sundance...where he saw Hoop Dreams.

He came back absolutely on fire for my project. Like I think he wanted me to make it. I was a Poly Sci kid at the time thinking I was going to law school and just had media interest. I had no idea I would some day be chewed up and spit out by that industry and wind up in risk management and implementations (does anyone choose to go into either?). I just wanted a good grade and an illegal cable box I could get from my partner if I did all the work.

Jelani McCoy's high school actually sent some info since it was the Arizona AD asking (this was before he committed). I wonder if they told him we were requesting bio info (that had to be a question mark since we were recruiting him...but recruiting was a bit more innocent in 1993 or whenever)...

That's it...my Jelani McCoy story.
With Jelani and Damon, working title: "Dope."

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 55,4205950" target="_blank
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That is why it is all the more important that the Cats get back to the Final Four this year in Glendale.

Combine such a weekend with next year's unprecedented class, and you have one of those rare windows (UCLA in '65, UNC in '84, Duke in '91 come to mind) where the balance of power can shift, if the opportunity is seized, to a new blue blood program.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Story on Randolph's commit ... he "fits the mold" of what Miller is looking for -- a long wing, shoots, scorers, defends. Yeah, what else is there? His high school coach once said, "He makes shots with his eyes closed."

Sean Miller strikes again with Randolph's commitment

(On the other thread, it seems like most of you are warm about the Trier thing. Have been expecting news to break for past several days, but I don't think anyone can tell you when or how it's going to fall. ... EDIT: Obviously, rumors are out there. As always, some speculation is way off and unneeded, so don't believe anything until you hear one way or another. We'll know when we know.)
Last edited by Gimino on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

thank you AG
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Gilbertcat wrote:I will probably die soon. The future is so bright I will get skin cancer.

Nahhhhh, you won't die..................until one day before the UA football team finally plays in the Rose Bowl :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zero

Post by Zero »

Great stuff AG!
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Main Event wrote:
Azgirl wrote:How bright is bright...I think that Walker is a lock, Lee is a lock, everyone tells me McCoy (but I have a tough time with that one). I also think we get at least one verbal from '18 from this weekend.
Bout time you joined lol

Agree on Williams commit. Only other 18 guy who we seem to be the leader for who is visiting would be Norris and he supposedly wants to take some time with his decision.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The Goat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Bout time you joined lol

Agree on Williams commit. Only other 18 guy who we seem to be the leader for who is visiting would be Norris and he supposedly wants to take some time with his decision.
We're virtually in the lead for every 2018 recruit visiting outside of Quentin Grimes.

Williams, Norris, Taeshon Cherry, Grimes, and Gerald Liddell are visiting.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The Goat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Bout time you joined lol

We're virtually in the lead for every 2018 recruit visiting outside of Quentin Grimes.

I'll go with a Winger Texas on Liddell until he actually commits. And I doubt Cherry and Norris are playing at the same school so I just picked the one I figured more likely to commit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The Goat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
The Goat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Bout time you joined lol

I'll go with a Winger Texas on Liddell until he actually commits. And I doubt Cherry and Norris are playing at the same school so I just picked the one I figured more likely to commit.
This texas kid is actually from Tucson though, so insert Dumb and Dumber 1 in a million gif. I'm with you on the Norris/Cherry situation too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Probably gonna take all his visits before he pops, but we're in a very good spot.

Ira Lee is very likely on deck.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

that's not what I wanted to hear...oh well.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Miller's obviously doing something very right, so I wouldn't be too worried. Starting with this spring, he is on an insane hot streak with the recruiting right now, which says a lot because he has been a top 5, probably even top 3 guy for years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Miller's obviously doing something very right, so I wouldn't be too worried. Starting with this spring, he is on an insane hot streak with the recruiting right now, which says a lot because he has been a top 5, probably even top 3 guy for years.
Kentucky and Duke have put together crazy runs of talent, but even trying to take my homer glasses off, I'd think Miller and Arizona are #3 or #4 in terms of recruiting right now. Kansas is our competitor for that spot.

I will say, those four programs are above the rest in recruiting right now. Our average class is a home run for pretty much anybody but KY/Duke/KU.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Wildcats ready to hear from four-star prospect Ira Lee

Three days after attending the Arizona Wildcats’ Red-Blue Game, four-star forward Ira Lee says he’s ready to pick a college.

That’s probably a good sign for the Arizona Wildcats. Then again, there have been a lot of good signs for Arizona when it comes to Lee’s recruitment.

Lee said in Las Vegas in July. “Secondly, I love the atmosphere they play in. How would you not want to play in that?

Coach Miller is a great coach. He teaches well and puts out good players.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 7635a.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

:lol:

I love basnight
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Dude is the definition of "player hater."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lonnie Walker

Looks like Arizona still in it.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... nie-walker" target="_blank

http://247sports.com/Player/Lonnie-Walker-81416" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Welcome to the family Ira.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

niceeee. if we can even get 2 guys out of Alkins, Simmons, Markkannen, Smith to stay we'll be even better next year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I hope this doesn't negatively affect McCoy
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:
Kentucky and North Carolina, I understand, but UNLV? WTF!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Damn, what a recruiting year, so far...
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Kentucky and North Carolina, I understand, but UNLV? WTF!
Why, sound like a fun recruiting trip? That is all Arizona was going to be.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am very excited about the Lee commitment. I think he is seriously under- ranked. Beast!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Welcome Ira!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Awesome!

Arizona/ Miller recruiting boggles the mind. 8-)

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ayton-2017" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:I hope this doesn't negatively affect McCoy
I wouldn't worry about Lee. McCoy is a 5 all the way. If he isn't put off by Ayton, I can't imagine Lee would play in much.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am just hoping that Mr. Lee honors the process and this doesn't turn out like most of our top 30-60 ranged recruits (Victor, Simon, Chol, etc.)

Also I would assume we close out this class with either Walker or McCoy whoever bites first. Seems like Walker will be the first to chose between the two.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

For those who've watched Lee, is he more of a power or finesse guy? Maybe a bit of both?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote:I am just hoping that Mr. Lee honors the process and this doesn't turn out like most of our top 30-60 ranged recruits (Victor, Simon, Chol, etc.)
That's my worry as well. He said that CSM sees him as an Aaron Gordon type player, but I really hope that doesn't mean he's thinking he's going to get AG minutes as a freshman.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:For those who've watched Lee, is he more of a power or finesse guy? Maybe a bit of both?
Reminds me of Ashley, in that he's not a bruiser, but long enough for the 4.
Dave

Post by Dave »

High energy guy that wants to dunk on everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhd3QBarR4" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nice. Lets keep it rolling!

And I'm sure I have said this before, but "Dave" is the greatest message board handle of all time. Gets me every time
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dave wrote:High energy guy that wants to dunk on everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhd3QBarR4" target="_blank
Is he ambidextrous?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Would he be paying his own way and not playing in the spring?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So scoping out the rest of our '17 targets, Walker and McCoy are still out there. Walker is showing more and more AZ lean, and we appear to be leading for McCoy. If these two come as well, this would almost unquestionably be CSM's best class. And to think we'd be adding this class to a roster that will likely still include RA, KS, PJC, DR, and RS.