lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Can we just start calling him 'RMFA'?
You have to earn that moniker with your play. Like Earl Mitchell or Gabe York . . . or Jamelle Horne (for slightly different reasons).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:
I'm not sure Rawle has got his UA history down, though. If Miller was talking to him about York, then it was probably more about being patient and sticking around than it was about coming in and dominating right away.
I'm pretty sure he has it right in this context. Two completely different recruits who will have WILDLY different impacts their freshman seasons. I think CSM told Rawle we are losing our senior scorer and we are going to need to replace that firepower, exactly as Rawle said it.

Side note: Until last night, I honestly thought it was pronounced Rawl (like ball), love that it's actually pronounced Rollie because that's way fucking better.

Same with the first time I heard Comanche, I thought the "e" on the end was silent.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Our practices are going to be more competitive than most games next year
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Best thing that can happen to Simon if he has desires to play in the NBA, where the comp for PT will be even tougher. You play/DEFEND against those guys every day in practice, and push yourself to get better so you can get minutes among those guys, only good things can happen. He's got three years of eligibility left and he will be an important piece for more than one of them if he keeps improving
Maybe Miller can turn his recruiting power into getting Simon on the Kadeem Allen plan, because if we land JJ and keep Trier, there won't be much playing time to get.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:I have said all along that I would be ecstatic if we landed Alkins, and I am. Good to see all the excitement; the board seems to acknowledge this pickup for being the HUGE one that he is, despite our collective pre-occupation with JJ.

That said, IF we also land Jackson, I do not see how we make it to next season without at least a defection or two. Unless Kadeem is graduating, he is not going anywhere. That leaves PJC or Simon to transfer - or Zo to declare(which I think would be a mistake).

I love Simon and agree that he will play a pivotal role on 1-2 teams if he sticks around - but there are casualties that come with a loaded roster, and even UK has had to deal with them. Miller is not likely to go to a 10-man rotation, and we are even more unlikely to avoid defections.

It comes with the territory...
Yep, it does come with the territory. I guess we will see. I'm sure Miller can get some buy-in from some guys. A national title being one, the benefits of playing against NBA level talent every day, or using Kentucky as a model of look, bench guys can still go to the league. Losing guys is going to happen and Miller has lost guys when we were less loaded. And you can go down the list of guys who left when Lute was the coach, several who became stars for their second teams.

Simon is clearly the guy to watch in all of this. Think major minutes are there for him junior and senior year, but its hard to have two years of limited minutes and it just depends on the kid. Kadeem is going to have a big role on next year's team, that is a given, and I don't see any reason to leave when you have the chance to have a big role on a potential national champion. One side of me says PJC is going to get buried on the bench due to his limitations based on his size and his inconsistent play, but the other side sees he is leading the conference in 3pfg% and his flashes of excellence.

The one thing that helps though, we still only have Dusan, Chance and Lauri as our bigs. So lots of ability to slide Smith or JJ over to the 4 and go "small". Lauri will be a freshman and I have read he is prone to get into foul trouble. Dusan is still Dusan and there will probably be nights where we play Oregons and USCs and Boise States where he is just not able to hang with a smaller, quicker center, or one who stretches the floor. I doubt we will ever see another PJC and Kadeem backcourt at the same time, but that frees up things to bump the 2's to 3's and open up things for a guy like Simon. Simon's offensive limitations mean nothing if he can be an elite defender and on the floor with Simmons, Trier, JJ, and Chance/Lauri. Miller undoubtedly has this all mapped out, he is too smart to get himself into trouble being reckless.

And one thing I pointed out a while ago in this thread, if we get JJ and: Trier comes back, or Ferguson comes and Trier leaves, there are going to be a TON of blowouts. We are going to destroy a lot of teams, and there will be a lot of games with 6 minutes left and JJ, Trier/Ferguson and most of the rest of the starters are going to be having fun on the bench while everyone else is still out there expanding that lead. I know it's not the same, but I cant foresee even the 10-12 guys not getting minutes almost every game.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KA, PJC, JS, KS, RA...all on next year's roster. Unless I'm mistaken, TF is a shooting guard.

Not sure we actually begin the season with six guards who would start on most D-1 teams.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
I'm not sure Rawle has got his UA history down, though. If Miller was talking to him about York, then it was probably more about being patient and sticking around than it was about coming in and dominating right away.
I took it as, look, we are losing our alpha scorer on the outside, there is a chance for you to slide right in and be that. Reading into things too much, that could have been said when Miller thought Trier was going to leave, because clearly Trier can fill that role as well.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Miller would be smart to talk to Cal in the offseason on best ways to manage a team full of all stars
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Miller would be smart to talk to Cal in the offseason on best ways to manage a team full of all stars
Typically leads to frustrating seasons, but worthwhile postseasons.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Capable of playing PG: PJC, Allen, Simmons
Capable of playing SG: Simmons, Alkins, Ferguson
Capable of playing SF: Jackson, Ferguson, Simon, Smith
Capable of playing PF: Jackson, Smith, Lauri
Capable of playing C: Ristic, Lauri, Chance

That's without Trier.

If Allen has graduated, he might want to explore being a graduate transfer if he can handle the schooling.

If Alkins is ineligible for a season, that answers a few questions.

If one of Jackson or Ferguson doesn't join, that answers a few questions.

I don't want Simon or Chance to leave. I don't think I want PJC to leave, as his perimeter shooting is becoming a significant threat off the ball, and alongside dynamic slashers, that's important.

It's crazy deep. Likely too deep. God help us if all this plus Trier. Holy moly...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

At this point I'd don't see how Trier stays. This is a very weak class and next year's is one of the strongest so he would likely have to wait until '18 to enter the draft.

Next year Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State & Arizona are absolutely loaded.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I'll take a shot at a potential breakdown of minutes played.

PG: Allen 18, Simmons 14, PJC 8
SG: Trier 25, Alkins 10, Allen 5
SF: Jackson 20, Smith 5, Alkins 7, Simon 8
PF: Lauri 15, Smith 13, Jackson 7, Chance 5
C: Ristic 25, Chance 10, Lauri 5

Jackson - 27 minutes
Trier - 25
Ristic - 25
Allen - 23
Lauri - 20
Smith - 18
Alkins - 17
Chance - 15
Simmons - 14
PJC - 8
Simon - 8

If Ferguson were to come IMO Simon, Allen, and PJC would see their minutes go down by 5-8 each.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

If I had to venture a guess on minutes:

Let's assume the nightmarish "best case" scenario...

PG: PJC (22), Simmons (10), Allen (8)
SG: Trier (28), Alkins (10), Simmons (2)
SF: Ferguson (20), Simon (10), Alkins (5), Jackson (5)
PF: Jackson (22), Smith (10), Lauri (8)
C: Ristic (20), Lauri (10), Chance (10)

That's talent, and it's a clusterfuck!

Honestly, the team realistically can only handle two of either Trier, Ferguson, Jackson, or needs Alkins to red-shirt, or it's going to have PJC and Simon transfer.

Realistically:

PG: PJC (25), Allen (10), Simmons (5)
SG: Simmons (17), Alkins (23)
SF: Ferguson (25), Simon (15)
PF: Jackson (25), Smith (10), Lauri (5)

PJC and Ferguson get more minutes because of shooting skills on perimeter. Simon and Jackson are the plug in and play Swiss Army knives that fit anywhere. I'm limiting Smith's minutes a bit early. Allen is a solid bullish defender for spurts. Lauri gives non-traditional shooting from the frontcourt for a spell, and Chance gets solid minutes, especially early in the season.

I think as season progresses, Allen's minutes get split between PJC, Smith and Jackson.

But while this is the realistic option of the two, I still maintain this is one player too many.

Just gonna have to see.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

JMJ, pretty similar other then you have PJC where I have Allen and expect more small ball than I do.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Best thing that can happen to Simon if he has desires to play in the NBA, where the comp for PT will be even tougher. You play/DEFEND against those guys every day in practice, and push yourself to get better so you can get minutes among those guys, only good things can happen. He's got three years of eligibility left and he will be an important piece for more than one of them if he keeps improving
Maybe Miller can turn his recruiting power into getting Simon on the Kadeem Allen plan, because if we land JJ and keep Trier, there won't be much playing time to get.
true. i'm thinking simon will earn his PT on the defensive end. we'll have plenty of scorers on the floor; big opportunity to step up as our lockdown guy.

also looking forward to getting simon back on the chris rounds plan and filling out in the offseason as part of his frosh --> soph year leap.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

gronk4heisman wrote:JMJ, pretty similar other then you have PJC where I have Allen and expect more small ball than I do.
If you have that team, you have to small-ball for at least 25 minutes.

And PJC is tops in the PAC-12 in 3-point shooting, mostly off ball, so he's incredibly valuable next to all those slashing wings.

Ristic is solid
Chance has upside
Lauri is unproven

So I don't play them all more than 40-50 minutes total of the 200.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Lauri is indeed good enough to start from day one, that's incredible.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Crazy seeing the best case on paper, JMark. I get the positives of PJC being out on the floor, mostly in terms of his outside shooting ability. But if we got shooters already in Trier and Ferguson starting with PJC and getting 20+ minutes at the 2 and 3, wouldn't that negate some of that need? Or do you have concerns with too many flashers being on the floor at once and just want PJC to hang behind the arc, as opposed to Allen who is better suited to shoot off the dribble or drive? I'd flop Allen and PJC, but you are smarter than I am so I want to pick your brain.

As much as I like the best case, I am secretly hoping that it is Jackson and Ferguson or Jackson and Trier and call it a day. And I do think one man gets left behind like you said. I'd probably do this:

PG: Allen (20), Simmons (10), PJC (10)
SG: Ferguson (7) Alkins (25) Simmons (8)
SF: Jackson (10) Ferguson (20), Simon (10)
PF: Lauri (7) Smith (15), Jackson (18)

Allen= 20, Simmons 18, PJC 10, Ferguson 27, Alkins 25, Jackson 28, Simon 10, Lauri 17, Smith 15, Ristic 20, Chance 10. As the season wears, I think Smith's minutes increase at the expense of PJC or Simon's minutes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote: PG: Allen (20), Simmons (10), PJC (10)
We're not gonna see the above scenario. One or two (or three) guys won't be at AZ next season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
We're not gonna see the above scenario. One or two (or three) guys won't be at AZ next season.
I can't imagine Simon and PJC being OK with 3rd string. Simon was the 24th (Rivals) or 37th (Scout) ranked player in his class, and now gets minutes with the walk ons.

PJC even started a few games this year when Allen was sick, and even when Allen came back.

Not even sure Allen will start next year. TJ he is not.

I wonder if CSM will allow Trier to play some PG next year in order to improve his draft stock.

Also I wouldn't put Ristic starting at center yet. Comanche has shown he can play against the big boys, and is much more athletic.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Great posts in this thread. Thoughts:

I think Lauri is good enough to start from Day One, and I also believe firmly that next year is a time Miller will not lead with experience--but with height and length.

For those two reasons, among others, Kobi Simmons would have the early edge to start at the point next season. It's nice that PJC's perimeter shooting has improved, but with so many next-level players coming in next season, there's no reason to think that Simmons can't bring more of the whole package and beat out even Kadeem, who I could see leading a D-III team to a national title. Look how far Momo Jones took Iona.

I also don't believe Ray Smith will ever play at the wing again. Not only is the kind of lateral movement required at that position too much pressure on a kid still recovering and developing into a college player at the same time, but this team needs an active, long defender on the blocks in case quicker forwards exploit our three other big men on the baseline.

I think Ray will transition into a very gifted college power forward and shore up Lauri's weaknesses by first exposing them, then pushing him. Getting Jackson would only accelerate this process.

Similar to what may very well happen with Dusan Ristic, who is no given to start at center if he can't operate quicker out of the double team. Chance Comanche could make a huge jump this summer and be another A.J. Bramlett for us, at least, by the beginning of 2017.

The lone incumbent starting on next year's team could be Trier, if he wants that full college experience and to be truly NBA-ready. Remember the early-season talk: Trier has to show he can give a team minutes at the point, too. He didn't have that chance this season and will be hungry to prove he can.

I don't see either Alkins or Ferguson cracking his spot, just because of the instant jump-start Trier gives this team from the opening tip every night.

Simon would be wise to focus on being this team's defensive stopper, because after all the blow-bys that have burned this year's team, that is the role he can fill the most ably for Miller and prevent languishing at the end of the bench.

But yes, given the choice of Ferguson or a sophomore Trier for next year's team, I don't know who wouldn't choose Trier.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:
a roster like that would also be pushing our scholarship limit if 'zo, pitts (probably not), and another big are still in play
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The ability to have joy over a recruit turn immediately into fear about minutes for players and the subsequent transfer scenarios, is fun.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Pitts will not be in play. But I did think we had a 13th scholarship for a big like Yurtseven if he wanted to come.

BTW, I appreciate the loyalty to Kadeem and PJC, but they disappeared in games this season, and frankly we need a catalyst next season who can score in end-of-half/-game scenarios. Players who value possessions, not look like deer in headlights.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Scholarships aren't a concern. They have four from seniors, one from Pitts (who I do not see returning), and one from either Trier or a likely transfer/defection, so that's 6-7 open slots.

Is Allen on target to graduate this year? If so, he really should explore a graduate transfer option.

PJC's shooting is far more valuable than anything Allen brings.

Plus, I do no want to lose PJC or Simon and further lose California.

I also think Ristic could go to Europe. Depends on options.

If he does, I'd look for a graduate transfer big.

But this is me making sense of scenarios, not any inside info.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote: BTW, I appreciate the loyalty to Kadeem and PJC, but they disappeared in games this season, and frankly we need a catalyst next season who can score in end-of-half/-game scenarios. Players who value possessions, not look like deer in headlights.
Or play hero ball end of game, where you pound the ball into the court for the final 10 seconds then get it knocked away due to poor handles then end up taking a bad shot.

I know most people have forgiven York due to his heroics last 2 games, but can't forget when 3 out of the 6 losses ended that way.

It was so good to have Trier back.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Olsondogg wrote:The ability to have joy over a recruit turn immediately into fear about minutes for players and the subsequent transfer scenarios, is fun.
I get ya, but this year is in need of some figuring out.

Not at the moment, but with the options still on the table, it is crowded.

Even at his deepest, Cal only played 9-10 players.

Big if, but if everything ideal happens in recruiting, and everyone who can return does return, that's a legit 13 4/5-star prospects, with many of the 4-stars being upperclassmen.

It's an odd situation for any program.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, I may have been kind of harsh on Gabe before last week too, but I've never been this concerned about a senior guard of ours going into March before.

I know that sounds weird when Jason Gardner, Damon Stoudamire and even Steve Kerr had some awful shooting nights that ended our Dance runs. Gardner shot the Cats completely out of that worthless '03 conference tourney game against UCLA, which ended up pitting the team against the toughest 2 seed in the field and yet another Elite Eight loss.

My fear is that streaky York won't show up against a lower seed next week, cost the team too many possessions, and suddenly it's Seton Hall in '04 or Santa Clara in '92 all over again.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:The ability to have joy over a recruit turn immediately into fear about minutes for players and the subsequent transfer scenarios, is fun.
I get ya, but this year is in need of some figuring out.

Not at the moment, but with the options still on the table, it is crowded.

Even at his deepest, Cal only played 9-10 players.

Big if, but if everything ideal happens in recruiting, and everyone who can return does return, that's a legit 13 4/5-star prospects, with many of the 4-stars being upperclassmen.

It's an odd situation for any program.

First of all, that's the coaches job. The figuring out is quite simple actually: the best players, play.

Secondly, I really don't get the fear of a transfer either...I mean, I haven't missed Craig Victor this year, even when players were hurt. If a player doesn't want to wear "Arizona" across their chest, then so be it. This place isn't a Pitts stop for everyone.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and there are no truck stops
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

97cats wrote:and there are no truck stops
Just perfect fits and glockenspiels.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Conference of champions!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I don't fear transfers. I just have preferred ones...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:Scholarships aren't a concern. They have four from seniors, one from Pitts (who I do not see returning), and one from either Trier or a likely transfer/defection, so that's 6-7 open slots.

Is Allen on target to graduate this year? If so, he really should explore a graduate transfer option.

But this is me making sense of scenarios, not any inside info.
I'm not as sold on PJC. He will never be an above-average defender and his offense and shooting has been too inconsistent for my taste. I'm not saying Allen doesn't have flaws too, but PJC's shooting hasn't traveled well.

It's hard for me to see Ristic leaving. Next year is his year to shake Zeus and have the chance to do his thing. Europe will always be an option for him, but next year really is the first year he's not a presumptive backup.

At this point, if Trier stays, Simon is my biggest concern. If Trier and JJ are gonna be here, his PT is gonna be next to nothing. For PJC and Allen with KS, it would not stun me to see one leave. I'm just not sure PJC is the guy to hang on to.
Dave

Post by Dave »

catgrad97 wrote:Pitts will not be in play. But I did think we had a 13th scholarship for a big like Yurtseven if he wanted to come.

BTW, I appreciate the loyalty to Kadeem and PJC, but they disappeared in games this season, and frankly we need a catalyst next season who can score in end-of-half/-game scenarios. Players who value possessions, not look like deer in headlights.
I agree. The injection of talent is necessary. The majority of our returning players are not starters.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'd rather start Chance on next years team honestly
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:and there are no truck stops
I like to hang out at truck stop restrooms. I don't see what you have against them.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Allen
Simmons
Alkins
Ferguson
Jackson
Simon
Markanen
Smith
Ristic
Commanche

PJC transfers to a WCC school, Pitts booted away, Trier goes pro, and go find a traditional transfer for the 17 season.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:I'd rather start Chance on next years team honestly
I'm with this, provided Rounds does over the summer what he did to Ray.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The Goat wrote:Allen
Simmons
Alkins
Ferguson
Jackson
Simon
Markanen
Smith
Ristic
Commanche
Only one of the three in bold will be at AZ next season, imo. Not sure which one. Also, not convinced yet that AT is leaving. I've seen all the reasons. Still think he wants another year of college.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm not going to worry about transfers, playing time and possible recruits until this season is done
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:I'm not going to worry about transfers, playing time and possible recruits until this season is done
Not a true fan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gonna play devil's advocate for a minute. JJ isn't coming to AZ; AT is going pro. Here's our starting lineup next season:

KA
KS/RA
RS
LM/CC
DR

Bench: PJC, JS, plus the two from above who aren't starting

That's a legit 9 man rotation and a contender for the Pac title. A very young team, yes, but I don't see youth slowing down Duke or Kentucky.

If AT stays, we're that much more lethal in our backcourt and an almost certain favorite for Pac champ.

And if AT stays *and* we get JJ, fuggedaboutit. Preseason top 3, and we're going to curb stomp the Pac.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Why not? Just like we were gonna have shit this class, and now we are scrambling to play fantasy coach with something that could very likely happen. All we need to be in this position is

1) land Jackson, which isn't a reach because I truly believe the leaked "its between MSU and Arizona" is accurate, and
2) Trier returns, which isn't as far fetched as Gordon and Stanley returning seeing how they were consensus top 10 picks who still thought long and hard about it, and Trier at best appears to be a borderline 1st rounder; (OR); we land a guy who has us in his top 3 and we have all of the momentum in the world right now and Alkins and Simmons pushing him hard to link up for greatness.

That happens, and we are in this spot and will be in this spot next season barring someone moving on. Exactly whom, we can probably guess, but then again, we dont know Miller's plan, we don't know how he is going to sell this, and we dont know what is going on in these guys heads. Some guys want to be a part of something great, even if the role is greatly reduced. Some guys can see the big picture and dont mind a minor/minimal role for another year with still two more left. Maybe some guys know they dont have a future in basketball past Arizona and are fine with finishing their education and enjoying the ride. Some guys may want 25-30 minutes at a smaller school and bounce. Some guys may feel betrayed and recruited over and leave. Some guys may be cool with a redshirt and stay. Some guys may have fallen in love with being a part of Arizona basketball and will bite the bullet to help it achieve greatness. Whats a bigger legacy, playing 30 minutes for USF and averaging 13 a game, or getting 5-10 minutes a game and being forever immortalized as a national champion? depends on who you ask. People are different and you cannot assume they all think a certain way. I went from a guaranteed spot in the starting rotation (7 innings a week) to transferring and being a setup guy/occasional closer (1-2 innings a week, and sometimes none at all) ONLY because I wanted my father to be able to watch me play in college more than once or twice a season and to be on a better team. It didn't bother me one bit at the time and I have no regrets. My fondest memories from that season rarely involve what happened between the lines.

The safe bet is yes, we get all that and someone bounces. But it's not a for sure thing. Miller is a witch and a mastermind. They all came to Arizona, so they all know minutes aren't guaranteed here and when you come to a Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc., you know it's a fight to get on the floor. How many 5'7 four star guys get to an elite school, top 5 team with one of the best point guards in the nation and get as many minutes as Parker did as a freshman?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote: The safe bet is yes, we get all that and someone bounces. But it's not a for sure thing. Miller is a witch and a mastermind. They all came to Arizona, so they all know minutes aren't guaranteed here and when you come to a Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc., you know it's a fight to get on the floor. How many 5'7 four star guys get to an elite school, top 5 team with one of the best point guards in the nation and get as many minutes as Parker did as a freshman?
Oh, rg :) I love your optimism.

RA/KS/LM is yet another top 10 class, so anything more at this point is gravy. The two biggest pieces, imo, are JJ (obviously) and Trier. If we somehow have either of them next year, we're going to be very good. And if we have both, we're going to be special.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

JMarkJohns wrote:

See, I think we have plenty of shooting/scoring. If Parker was a guy that didn't need a ton of spacing due to his size and the time it takes him to get a shot off, I'd take him over Allen. And if we have all that firepower, maybe he gets put into that position more. But grand scheme of things, total season PJC is only shooting 0.4% from deep over Kadeem. Even given his hot conference shooting, PJC 48 to Kadeems 35%; however, PJC is only averaging two three point attempts a conference game and accounting for illness, Kadeem looks to be the same. Is that one extra made three per 2 or 3 games worth the sacrifice in size, defense, and someone who can get to the rim and finish vs. PJC who more frequently has his layup sent into the second row? PJC does give you an extra assist per 100 possessions and a half less turnover. I'd gladly sacrifice all that for size, strength and having a defender that wont get abused half the time, especially when I think we will have plenty of scoring.

I do agree on not wanting to lose the two California guys. Never thought of the Ristic to Europe angle, but I always assumed that he had a chance at playing in the NBA, even taking into account his athletic limitations.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why would Ristic go to Europe? First I've heard of this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What's the stat line for PJC's home v. away?

In my 3+ decades of watching UA basketball, I have never seen a rotation player play so well at McKale and so poorly away from home. I remember even commenting facetiously he shouldn't even travel.

Not that I would encourage PJC to transfer, but if he wants to end his career on the end of the bench that's fine, he gets the best seat in the house. Or he could do a Zane Johnson and have a nice career at a smaller school. Mohamed Tangara too, both ended up their careers in Hawaii. Johnson at UH and MoTang at Chaminade.

On Ristic, my dad was telling me about the pregame radio show the Brian Jeffries. According to my dad, Jeffries said that the reason Ristic and Tollefsen lost their confidence as the season went along was that Zeus and Anderson were pushing them around a lot in practice, showing them why they were starts and why Ristic and Tolly came off the bench.

Ristic won't have Zeus next year pushing him around and actually may get his confidence back.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote: The safe bet is yes, we get all that and someone bounces. But it's not a for sure thing. Miller is a witch and a mastermind. They all came to Arizona, so they all know minutes aren't guaranteed here and when you come to a Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc., you know it's a fight to get on the floor. How many 5'7 four star guys get to an elite school, top 5 team with one of the best point guards in the nation and get as many minutes as Parker did as a freshman?
Oh, rg :) I love your optimism.

RA/KS/LM is yet another top 10 class, so anything more at this point is gravy. The two biggest pieces, imo, are JJ (obviously) and Trier. If we somehow have either of them next year, we're going to be very good. And if we have both, we're going to be special.
LOL. No point in stressing the little things. Yes, I have questions and yes, I have some concerns in the back of my mind. But it's much easier to sit back and enjoy the ride, speculate/debate/argue with other fans on a message board (within reason), and trust that Miller is one of the best coaches in the country and what he is doing is calculated or he wouldn't be doing it.

Another angle that maybe hasn't been discussed, continuing to bring in these classes, in my opinion, is huge in cementing Miller's feet here in Tucson. Now six straight seasons having top 7 classes. Short of Kentucky and maybe Duke, no one else has done what he has on the recruiting trail. And that's without a national title in almost 20 years and a final four in over 14. That's without this new crop of Arizona guys, Gordon, Stanley, TJ, Rondae, etc. having enough time to emerge as stars in the NBA. We dont have a Kevin Love or Westbrook yet, but best believe one is coming. It won't be long til we will have 20 some guys in the league at one time at this rate. So Miller is doing all this, he faces adversity with losing out on Rabb, Leaf leaves, and we are in the (perceived) 11th hour for the 2016 class, and he swoops in and nails down a huge class and are in the running to make it a complete monster of a class. He is doing this at Arizona, why leave? He will still be competing with Calipari and Coach K anywhere else he goes. Those guys retire, and he becomes Calipari. He took a top 10 program under Lute and finished the job into making it a Kentucky. He didnt step into a Kentucky or Duke or UNC and maintained.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

As I gaze into my Nostradamus crystal ball I think Alonzo Trier is the wildcard at this stage.

I’m sure I may be in the minority on my observations of Alonzo but in truth at this stage of his development I think he is destined for a sophomore year at Arizona.

When I look at him, I see a very good college player that utilizes his strengths at this level the way he should. But let’s not kid ourselves, AT is not taking anyone’s spot in the NBA from a final roster perspective as it stands today.

He will most certainly continue to develop and he will play in the NBA in a couple of years, but he would be advised to return for another year. If his handlers really care about his future earnings and his staying power he would be best advised to return.

At this stage he’s simply a tweener that does a few things really well at the college level but does not command IMO an elevated status of future returns at the NBA level based on his current development.
His value and a second year of development on a loaded Wildcat team where he will still start and command a leadership role is immeasurable and could well give Miller that one player that is the ultimate glue guy that is respected and needed on a young team in a high octane growth phase.

AT has got lots to work on. Most importantly his outside shot and handles, although they are not bad by any measure

IMO leaving this year is a front row ticket to the D-League. AT staying one more year will allow for greater development and a possible National Championship run and real NBA staying power for the long-term.

If I was Miller I would be recruiting Alonzo as hard as the other 5 stars coming in. AT is a guy that needs one more year, but is good enough now in college to be the guy that puts you and your team over the top when competing for the biggest prize on the biggest stage in college.