lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He opened it up because his grandma passed away, hence why Baylor is trending.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What a crazy recruiting year. It seems we've usually had one big fish left to reel in this time of year, but I can't remember a year when CSM has had so many possibilities hanging in the balance this deep in the recruiting cycle. No idea how our final '16 class is going to look.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ferguson is a Zach LaVine type. I would take him over Alkins, but JJ is still the big one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is a class of KS, LM, and JJ the best class CSM has had at AZ?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Zach Lavine still can't shoot as well as Ferguson can today. Ferguson can shoot like Trier. If you leave him open he's pretty auto from distance.

Lavine may be slightly bouncier but not by much.

And yes, in order of talent of guys on our radar it goes :

JJ
TF
RA

I don't think many would debate that.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

No debate. Any one of them would define next year as elite, and two of them would be plainly sick.

Such an interesting negotiating challenge for Coach, talking with all three of them at the same time without mortally nicking anyone's ego. To that challenge I bow deeply to CSM.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we end up with JJ plus either TF or RA, I'm fairly sure it'd be the best class CSM has ever had.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We get just JJ out of that and its probably the best class Arizona has ever had. Simmons on Twitter pushin the Ferguson thing
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

rgdeuce wrote:We get just JJ out of that and its probably the best class Arizona has ever had. Simmons on Twitter pushin the Ferguson thing
Simmons is really starting to grow on me. He is like the Khalil Tate of basketball
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How many of our games coming down the stretch were on ESPN/ESPN2? And how many post game interviews have our guys done on Sportscenter? Wasn't that Gabe York I just saw talking to Neil Everett?

Josh, Rawle, Terrance . . . take note. When you come to Arizona you play on the big stage and you get every opportunity to shine.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:How many of our games coming down the stretch were on ESPN/ESPN2? And how many post game interviews have our guys done on Sportscenter? Wasn't that Gabe York I just saw talking to Neil Everett?

Josh, Rawle, Terrance . . . take note. When you come to Arizona you play on the big stage and you get every opportunity to shine.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Correct me if I'm wrong here.....but it looks like we have 6 open schollies to fill assuming Zo leaves and Pitts doesn't return. We have big shoes to fill with Zeus, Anderson and York leaving (Tolly not so much). See below and correct me if I'm wrong please:

Committed:
1. LM = hoping he's at least 2 years+
2. KS = OND (One And Done) ?

Pursuing:
3. JJ = OND, no doubt
4. RA = OND
5. TF = OND?
6. Senior Grad Transfer = same as a OND

So, if we pull off a huge recruiting class, work out a good chemistry, we could have a great 2016-17. But with all these OND's, also a possibility that Dusan leaves after his junior year (Europe?), also maybe a Ray Smith departure....we would need another huge / gigantic 2017 class to fill our needs.

Thoughts?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The 2017 draft class is loaded. Supposed to be one of the top classes of the last 20 years. So JJ would be the only for sure. Which is why if Trier returns for his soph season, he may as well stick around til his junior year... I wouldnt sweat losing a lot of guys to the draft after next season. If Miller finished this class like we think, we'll be very strong the next two seasons
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:The 2017 draft class is loaded. Supposed to be one of the top classes of the last 20 years. So JJ would be the only for sure. Which is why if Trier returns for his soph season, he may as well stick around til his junior year... I wouldnt sweat losing a lot of guys to the draft after next season. If Miller finished this class like we think, we'll be very strong the next two seasons
Interesting.......hope you are right rgdeuce, thanks.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Come on Ohio state beat Sparty with JJ in the building
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote:How many of our games coming down the stretch were on ESPN/ESPN2? And how many post game interviews have our guys done on Sportscenter? Wasn't that Gabe York I just saw talking to Neil Everett?

That was excellent. Though I winced when Gabe answered their "name the top 4 teams in the PAC other than Arizona?" question. He went by the book, but that is best answered with a "I can't do that" or a "you know, we have a really strong conference top to bottom which is what makes winning here so difficult" answer.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
And it would appear that we lead...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Lots of people still hanging on to the notion that if we get Atkins then that means no JJ.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:Lots of people still hanging on to the notion that if we get Atkins then that means no JJ.
Which is stupid
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Welcome to wildcat family Rawle!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

If it really meant no JJ, Miller wouldn't be recruiting him. JJ is his guy.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Alkins undoubtedly has nothing to do with JJ; however, I am wondering if Alkins announcing right now (and should he choose Arizona) has anything to do with him seeing things with Ferguson. Like, I better give him my commitment right now before this other cat sneaks in.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is a crowded back court if Zo stays.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Alkins undoubtedly has nothing to do with JJ; however, I am wondering if Alkins announcing right now (and should he choose Arizona) has anything to do with him seeing things with Ferguson. Like, I better give him my commitment right now before this other cat sneaks in.
Yeah, and if that's the case the Ferguson decommit really was perfect timing. Before we were salivating at the prospect of getting BOTH RA and JJ. Now it feels almost inevitable that we will get two more top 20 recruits, one way or another
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is the weirdest recruiting year ever.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce wrote:Alkins undoubtedly has nothing to do with JJ; however, I am wondering if Alkins announcing right now (and should he choose Arizona) has anything to do with him seeing things with Ferguson. Like, I better give him my commitment right now before this other cat sneaks in.
Sean supposedly wants all 3. Obviously convincing the 3rd guy would the hardest, but he's in fuck it i'm loading up mode right now
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If we are still alive with JJ, I don't know how we could squeeze in him and Ferguson. If Zo returns and we get Simon, we're 4 deep of McD's AA level guys on the wing plus Simon. I don't think Alkins influences JJ negatively, but unless Trier is gone, I don't see how it isn't him or Ferguson.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is the weirdest recruiting year ever.
True statement after the Leaf decommited people were losing there minds!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:Lots of people still hanging on to the notion that if we get Atkins then that means no JJ.
Pundits on Twitter says there is no relationship.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Pundits on Twitter says there is no relationship.
Yeah, multiple outlets are saying the same thing, so that must be what's coming from inside the program.

Just wondering if that's based on word from JJ's camp or just hopeful thinking.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If we are still alive with JJ, I don't know how we could squeeze in him and Ferguson. If Zo returns and we get Simon, we're 4 deep of McD's AA level guys on the wing plus Simon. I don't think Alkins influences JJ negatively, but unless Trier is gone, I don't see how it isn't him or Ferguson.
That's how I see it too. And Miller may be all in for all three like some have said, but I'm sure Alkins is looking at it like we are. Ferguson too. It either tells me that Miller knows Trier is taking his shot at the next level no matter what, he is uncertain about landing JJ and/or Trier leaving and wants the backup plan in place before those decisions are made, or that absolutely no "F's" are given on his part. Even looking at it like this, in absolutes, guys playing the below define positions and not using the versatility we have to play a Kadeem off ball, or Zo at the 3 and Simon at the 2, Comanche at 4, etc.

C Ristic, Comanche
PF Lauri, Smith
SF JJ, Simon
SG Trier, Alkins
PG Kadeem, Simmons, PJC

Not sure where Ferguson fits into that equation. Two guys arent getting many minutes if he comes. Probably PJC and Simon, and even then, a 10 man rotation with that star power means a few reserves arent getting many minutes too. Obviously if JJ chooses Michigan State, Ferguson slides in fairly easily and we are still loaded. Same if Trier leaves.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Even if we only have 5 out of these 7 players at the 2,3,4 spots holy shit. Alkins, Trier, Ferguson, Jackson, Smith, Simon, Markannen. Have 6 of those, however likely or not, and I'll be in heaven for the next 12 months plus. Seems unlikely we could bring in Alkins, Ferguson, and Jackson without losing Trier. The freshman possibly coming in all bring some needed attitude too which is nice...I love what I see, as I'm sure everyone here does haha.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

No one thinks that the timing of this is at all weird? Word was he was planning on waiting, and then the Monday after JJ's MSU official he decides he is announcing. Maybe I am a pessimist, but I do believe that the staff is doubtful they will get JJ after hearing things post visit and told Alkins such. Alkin's was probably reluctant to commit when JJ was likely because, although they play different positions it would be naive to think JJ would not effect Alkins minutes. I hope I am way off base here because I want JJ more than any recruit I can remember.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gronk4heisman wrote:No one thinks that the timing of this is at all weird? Word was he was planning on waiting, and then the Monday after JJ's MSU official he decides he is announcing. Maybe I am a pessimist, but I do believe that the staff is doubtful they will get JJ after hearing things post visit and told Alkins such. Alkin's was probably reluctant to commit when JJ was likely because, although they play different positions it would be naive to think JJ would not effect Alkins minutes. I hope I am way off base here because I want JJ more than any recruit I can remember.
I highly doubt an official visit to a school in Jackson's home state is going to change anything. This isn't a case of a guy coming from back east and saying, wow, the atmosphere in McKale is insane, the weather is gorgeous, the locker rooms and facilities are top of the line, and the women are beautiful. While Michigan State does have nice facilities, he has probably already been in that arena for a game, if not seen all of it before. Everything else he has experienced in his home state. What could Michigan State give him outside of a suitcase full of money to suddenly change his opinion or make it final?

This also completely ignores the one thing that has changed: Ferguson opened his recruiting up, Arizona is going after him and are in his top 5. Ferguson does play his position. I don't think Alkins was ever reluctant to come because of JJ. He knew JJ was in the mix before and after we shot to the top for him (at least from the opinions of many others). If that were the case, he would have to worry about Ferguson and Trier, and his buddy Simmons who is already here.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Markanen, Simmons, and Alkins. Swoon. Add Jackson and it turns into a cleanup time. Add Ferguson and well we all better go check our lease because we're living in fuck city.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:No one thinks that the timing of this is at all weird? Word was he was planning on waiting, and then the Monday after JJ's MSU official he decides he is announcing. Maybe I am a pessimist, but I do believe that the staff is doubtful they will get JJ after hearing things post visit and told Alkins such. Alkin's was probably reluctant to commit when JJ was likely because, although they play different positions it would be naive to think JJ would not effect Alkins minutes. I hope I am way off base here because I want JJ more than any recruit I can remember.
He doesn't play the same position as Jackson, and he cannot swing to the 4. JJ is a natural 3, who if we want additional minutes for, we can play small with him at 4.

If J backs up Lauri at the 4, even if Chance plays both 4 and 5, JJ can easily get 10 mpg at the 4. Add a 20/20 split or even 24/16 with JJ getting the 16 and you're left with JJ pulling 26-30 mpg.

I agree with RG that Ferguson and potentially Trier have a far larger effect on Alkins's minutes. Although we may still want Ferguson, I think Alkins is smart enough to know that if we land him and JJ, Ferguson probably isn't coming to Tucson.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He doesn't play the same position as Jackson, and he cannot swing to the 4. JJ is a natural 3, who if we want additional minutes for, we can play small with him at 4.

If J backs up Lauri at the 4, even if Chance plays both 4 and 5, JJ can easily get 10 mpg at the 4. Add a 20/20 split or even 24/16 with JJ getting the 16 and you're left with JJ pulling 26-30 mpg.

I agree with RG that Ferguson and potentially Trier have a far larger effect on Alkins's minutes. Although we may still want Ferguson, I think Alkins is smart enough to know that if we land him and JJ, Ferguson probably isn't coming to Tucson.
My point was that JJ would effect Alkins minutes, not the other way around. Alkins will not effect JJ's minutes. Which is why I think it would take Alkin's hearing something for him to change his mind and commit early. Alkins would be toward the bottom of the totum pole. JJ would be at the top.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

78% hope the math is right 8-)

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/trump-ch ... 50602.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Goat wrote:Markanen, Simmons, and Alkins. Swoon. Add Jackson and it turns into a cleanup time. Add Ferguson and well we all better go check our lease because we're living in fuck city.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In case you hear the repeated assertion that it's questionable that Alkins will meet Initial Eligibility requirements and be cleared to play by the NCAA, just shut down the conversation right there. There's nothing to it. His qualifications are no more at issue than any student athlete.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:In case you hear the repeated assertion that it's questionable that Alkins will meet Initial Eligibility requirements and be cleared to play by the NCAA, just shut down the conversation right there. There's nothing to it. His qualifications are no more at issue than any student athlete.
I think there are still questions out there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:In case you hear the repeated assertion that it's questionable that Alkins will meet Initial Eligibility requirements and be cleared to play by the NCAA, just shut down the conversation right there. There's nothing to it. His qualifications are no more at issue than any student athlete.
I think there are still questions out there.
Yeah there will be questions until the NCAA says ok.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gronk4heisman wrote:
My point was that JJ would effect Alkins minutes, not the other way around. Alkins will not effect JJ's minutes. Which is why I think it would take Alkin's hearing something for him to change his mind and commit early. Alkins would be toward the bottom of the totum pole. JJ would be at the top.
It's questionable JJ will even play the 2 though and there probably isnt a need, at least at this point. This isnt a Stanley Johnson situation, where you have Zeus, Ashley and Rondae, so Stanley moves to the 2 so you can have your five best players starting/finishing games. And remember, some of that season involved Rondae coming off the bench too. Its going to take a lot from Ristic, a freshman Lauri, and a RS freshman coming off two years of missed ball to make that happen. JJ only affects his minutes if he was hoping for a three guard lineup/Trier at the 3. If Trier doesnt come back, Alkins has a good shot at starting no matter what decision JJ makes and there will also be a lot of PT if he does what he needs to do.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I will welcome him with open arms. He is a man among boys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
It's questionable JJ will even play the 2 though and there probably isnt a need, at least at this point. This isnt a Stanley Johnson situation, where you have Zeus, Ashley and Rondae, so Stanley moves to the 2 so you can have your five best players starting/finishing games. And remember, some of that season involved Rondae coming off the bench too. Its going to take a lot from Ristic, a freshman Lauri, and a RS freshman coming off two years of missed ball to make that happen. JJ only affects his minutes if he was hoping for a three guard lineup/Trier at the 3. If Trier doesnt come back, Alkins has a good shot at starting no matter what decision JJ makes and there will also be a lot of PT if he does what he needs to do.
The big effect for Alkins is Trier. If Trier returns, Alkins isn't starting at the 2. If Trier leaves, Alkins is the presumptive guy there.

The timing thing I don't get for Alkins is why he doesn't wait to confirm whether Trier is gone if he is seriously considering us.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The Goat wrote:Markanen, Simmons, and Alkins. Swoon. Add Jackson and it turns into a cleanup time. Add Ferguson and well we all better go check our lease because we're living in fuck city.
I want them all, and I think Miller is in "gloves off" mode now too after the Rabb recruitment.

No conference ref hand-picked by Scott would be able to stop that roster, and I would love to see it play like it and just blow away every barrier. Tweet away, guys, we've got three others ready on the bench.

Plus, we wouldn't be UK if we got 'em all...we'd know better and run things better. Miller's in a different league than Calipari as far as bench coaches go IMHO.