let's talk '15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: let's talk '15

Post by ASUHATER! »

don't forget we have ryan anderson coming off his redshirt as well, so that accounts for a 6th scholarship. only way we'd take another is if we lost someone like pitts or york or victor or somebody to transfer. even now if we sign rabb and comanche we have to hope that all 5 starters leave in order to have room for all of them.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Allonzo Trier commits to Arizona

Jeff Goodman August 3, 2014, 12:09 PM ET

Arizona has secured a commitment from Allonzo Trier, arguably the most potent scorer in Class of 2015.

"My relationship with Coach [Sean] Miller and the way they recruited me was the difference," Trier told ESPN.com while on a weekend visit to Tucson. "It's a family program, a players program. I just fell in love with everything."

[+] EnlargeAllonzo Trier
Geoff Burke/USA TODAY SportsAllonzo Trier led the prestigious Nike Peach Jam in scoring at 30.8 points per game.

Trier (No. 19 in the ESPN 100) grew up in Seattle but moved to Oklahoma City in the eighth grade. He attended Montrose Christian (Maryland) last season and is set to transfer to Findlay Prep (Las Vegas) this year.

The 6-foot-4 Trier led the prestigious Nike Peach Jam in scoring at 30.8 points per game in July -- and also averaged 29.4 points in the Nike EYBL. He was

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... a-wildcats
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

geez kid is going to live in and play in 4 different states since 8th grade.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:So am I wrong to think that UA ends with:
Simon
Smith
Trier
Chance
Rabb
That's the plan.
3goggles wrote:Are we only signing 5 or is there a chance of signing 6
There's a definite chance of 6.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:
Simon
Smith
Trier
Chance
Rabb
That's the plan.
Any way we land both Rabb and Zimmerman?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Irish27 wrote:Gotta love this quote from one of the Kansas' board.
Damn, Miller is on a freaking roll over there.

http://kansas.247sports.com/Board/59455 ... t-29851622
Miller is just flat out the most competitve dude on the planet!
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

ASUHATER! wrote:don't forget we have ryan anderson coming off his redshirt as well, so that accounts for a 6th scholarship. only way we'd take another is if we lost someone like pitts or york or victor or somebody to transfer. even now if we sign rabb and comanche we have to hope that all 5 starters leave in order to have room for all of them.
Anderson is already on scholarship, so he's already taken into account. The entire starting five is likely going to be gone and Matt Korcheck graduates. That leaves 6 scholarships available for Arizona to use if it so chooses and that's not even counting a possible transfer.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:don't forget we have ryan anderson coming off his redshirt as well, so that accounts for a 6th scholarship. only way we'd take another is if we lost someone like pitts or york or victor or somebody to transfer. even now if we sign rabb and comanche we have to hope that all 5 starters leave in order to have room for all of them.
Anderson is already on scholarship, so he's already taken into account. The entire starting five is likely going to be gone and Matt Korcheck graduates. That leaves 6 scholarships available for Arizona to use if it so chooses and that's not even counting a possible transfer.
ahh yeah i forgot about korcheck.

but i still think 6 is a stretch. if someone doesn't transfer or if zeus stays or something then that's all we get.

but let's just say the starters and korcheck leave and no one transfers and we get rabb and comanche. then the roster in 2015 will look like this:

pg: justin simon(pg right?), parker jackson/cartwright
sg: elliott pitts, gabe york, kadeem allen, allonzo trier
sf: ray smith
pf: ryan anderson, craig victor, chance comanche
c: ivan rabb, dusan ristic

and as far as i know simon could play the 1 and 2 and trier could possibly do some sf/wing stuff?

definitely a logjam at guard. 6 guys really. which is why i wouldn't be disappointed if an allen or pitts left and we got a sf grad transfer or a jaylen brown or boatwright or something. need more wings

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Simon
Smith
Trier
Chance
Rabb
That's the plan.
Any way we land both Rabb and Zimmerman?

Scheer doesn't think so.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:

but i still think 6 is a stretch. if someone doesn't transfer or if zeus stays or something then that's all we get.

but let's just say the starters and korcheck leave and no one transfers and we get rabb and comanche. then the roster in 2015 will look like this:

and as far as i know simon could play the 1 and 2 and trier could possibly do some sf/wing stuff?

definitely a logjam at guard. 6 guys really. which is why i wouldn't be disappointed if an allen or pitts left and we got a sf grad transfer or a jaylen brown or boatwright or something. need more wings
Come on now. Pitts has very high ceiling and Allen hasn't played a game yet. A bit early to say that.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:

Simon is more likely to play the 3 than Trier. Either way the only way I see us taking 6 is if we take a grad transfer SF of some sort for depth or Ray Smith's ACL insurance. We're definitely not taking any more post players or guards unless there's a mass exodus of transfers at the guard spots, which is more than possible at the 2 spot.

Jaylen Brown is in no remote way an option for Arizona and unfortunately looks like we'll have to play him in conference play. Boatright isn't a wing, he's a face up 4. I doubt Arizona picks him up unless it can't land 2 posts for some reason.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

UAEebs86 wrote:BTW, Allonzo is 6'4", 6' 7" with the fade:

But does he truly define grace under pressure? Can he fend off 3, 4, even 5 defenders, with ease?
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any updates on Ivan, Chance & Zimmerman?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

3goggles wrote:Any updates on Ivan, Chance & Zimmerman?
Looking good, no idea, doubtful.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Is 247sports not a reliable site? Ivan Rabb is dropping and Zimmerman is 43%!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

My projected '15 lineup:

PG Parker Jackson-Cartwright/Justin Simon/Jacob Hazzard
SG Elliott Pitts/Allonzo Trier
SG Gabe York/Kadeem Allen/Ray Smith (RS to bulk up--I know, no Wildcat recruit redshirts)
PF Ryan Anderson/Craig Victor
C Ivan Rabb/Dusan Ristic/Chance Comanche
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

3goggles wrote:Is 247sports not a reliable site? Ivan Rabb is dropping and Zimmerman is 43%!
247's crystal ball is pretty good, but you've got to take a look at the individuals doing the predictions. Unfortunately, our 59% Ivan Rabb has a fair number of numbnuts predicting Arizona. What worries me is Jerry Meyer picking UNC. By and large, the UNC picks all happened right around the same time Rabb was saying everyone assuming he was a de-facto UA commmit because he plays for the Soldiers was pissing him off.

Zimmerman at 43% for UA? I'll take that. I've always assumed it was lower.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Puerco wrote:
3goggles wrote:Is 247sports not a reliable site? Ivan Rabb is dropping and Zimmerman is 43%!
247's crystal ball is pretty good, but you've got to take a look at the individuals doing the predictions. Unfortunately, our 59% Ivan Rabb has a fair number of numbnuts predicting Arizona. What worries me is Jerry Meyer picking UNC. By and large, the UNC picks all happened right around the same time Rabb was saying everyone assuming he was a de-facto UA commmit because he plays for the Soldiers was pissing him off.

Yeah that makes sense! Just from May there have no Arizona predictions and people have swapped there's. I will gladly take simon, smith, trier, chance, zimm and rabb. 5 5* and 4* on the verge of being a 5*!
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Puerco wrote:

Since when has Jerry Meyer been so credible in his picks that it worries you? He's missed out on a few guys that chose Arizona.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

247 posts right/wrong stats for anyone who predicts for them. It's interesting to browse through. Meyer is batting 0.800 or so for 2015, which is pretty good for someone who has significantly more predictions than any of the others. Some of the schmucks who have picked UA on their site are 50% or lower.

At the end of the day though, it's still just a crystal ball...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Puerco wrote:247 posts right/wrong stats for anyone who predicts for them. It's interesting to browse through. Meyer is batting 0.800 or so for 2015, which is pretty good for someone who has significantly more predictions than any of the others. Some of the schmucks who have picked UA on their site are 50% or lower.

The question is is how many times has Meyer changed his pick? It's much easier to get a pick right shortly before a guy makes his decision public.

The crystal ball thing is really a joke when these guys can change their mind and pick at will. Meyer literally changed his Ivan Rabb pick because he visited UNC. Seriously, that's all there was to it. In the end my money is on him changing it again. Popular common knowledge sure wins out in the end for these crystal ball picks.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Hard to imagine a kid not going to a program simply because some recruiting writers/insiders insinuated he was going to choose a school for shallow reason. If Rabb chooses not to come to AZ, it is highly unlikely that his decision will be based on the idea that he wanted to shoot down theories that he was leaning AZ because other guys from his high school program went there as well. Ridiculous. He might find that insinuation annoying, but will that really be a deciding factor? One would think a deciding factor would be the relationship with the coaching staff, the program's legacy, other players on the team, facilities, training, exposure, etc.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Puerco wrote:247 posts right/wrong stats for anyone who predicts for them. It's interesting to browse through. Meyer is batting 0.800 or so for 2015, which is pretty good for someone who has significantly more predictions than any of the others. Some of the schmucks who have picked UA on their site are 50% or lower.

The question is is how many times has Meyer changed his pick? It's much easier to get a pick right shortly before a guy makes his decision public.

The crystal ball thing is really a joke when these guys can change their mind and pick at will. Meyer literally changed his Ivan Rabb pick because he visited UNC. Seriously, that's all there was to it. In the end my money is on him changing it again. Popular common knowledge sure wins out in the end for these crystal ball picks.
Yeah, I was going to ask that question myself. Good point.

But you really can't take any of the recruiting experts too seriously, right?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Puerco wrote:
But you really can't take any of the recruiting experts too seriously, right?
I don't until it's near around the time a player makes his choice and then I start to pay attention to what they say and how confident they are. So much of that crystal ball stuff is pure reactionary. It's definitely fun to follow though and can either give you the warm and fuzzies or the pits in the stomach.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Given how often it happens that a kid commits either on or right after a visit, if you cared about your accuracy and there was no penalty for changing your picks you'd be stupid NOT to change them every time a kid went on a visit.

How often does it happen that a kid goes and visits a school then immediately commits elsewhere?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

http://zagsblog.com/video/ivan-rabb-say ... e-final-5/

This should make our crystal ball number drop a few points. Why didn't he mention UA? <panic>

:)
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Puerco wrote:http://zagsblog.com/video/ivan-rabb-say ... e-final-5/

This should make our crystal ball number drop a few points. Why didn't he mention UA? <panic>

:)
Cause Rabb mentioning Arizona hurts Zag's package deal agenda. Remember that a player gives quotes and the writer chooses which quotes he wants to use for his story.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yeah, what is it with Zagoria and the package deals . . . especially since they almost never happen?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not worried.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

With any article, it may not be that info wasn't discussed, but rather, info wasn't included. We'll have to see, but I won't be worried until AZ writers say to be.
84Cat

Wildcats' Pitts gaining more strength

Post by 84Cat »

I couldn't find an Elliott Pitts thread. Glad to see that he has gained 20 pounds in the last year.
Elliott Pitts arrived at Arizona early last summer not yet 18 years old, and only had about 170 pounds on his 6-foot-5 frame.

Now he’s 19, has been through a season with the Wildcats, and is up to nearly 190 pounds, according to coach Sean Miller.

In what should be an extremely competitive battle for playing time in the UA backcourt, that could make a difference.

“He weighed 170 … and not only was he a freshman, but he was a really young freshman,” Miller said this week. “His body is changing. That only makes what he can do better.”

Even though the well-regarded Stanley Johnson will play both shooting guard and small forward, Miller said he is counting on both Pitts and Gabe York for help. York started 12 of 38 games last season.
http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/w ... f887a.html
HiCat

Re: Wildcats' Pitts gaining more strength

Post by HiCat »

84Cat wrote:I couldn't find an Elliott Pitts thread. Glad to see that he has gained 20 pounds in the last year.
Elliott Pitts arrived at Arizona early last summer not yet 18 years old, and only had about 170 pounds on his 6-foot-5 frame.

Now he’s 19, has been through a season with the Wildcats, and is up to nearly 190 pounds, according to coach Sean Miller.

In what should be an extremely competitive battle for playing time in the UA backcourt, that could make a difference.

“He weighed 170 … and not only was he a freshman, but he was a really young freshman,” Miller said this week. “His body is changing. That only makes what he can do better.”

Even though the well-regarded Stanley Johnson will play both shooting guard and small forward, Miller said he is counting on both Pitts and Gabe York for help. York started 12 of 38 games last season.
http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/w ... f887a.html
I'm guessing that Elliot gets some quality court time this season. The kid has a high bball IQ, and sees the court well. 8-10 pts, 2-3 rebs, ..going to be cool to watch.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Despite 99% of posters predicting a starting lineup with Stanley Johnson playing the 2G I think there is a decent chance that either Pitts (or an improved shooting York) wind up at the 2. If we go big with SJ at the off-guard the entire conference will zone us and force SJ and TJM to prove they can hit the 3 consistently.....which they may not be able to.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

A wise man once said.....Zero chance
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:Despite 99% of posters predicting a starting lineup with Stanley Johnson playing the 2G I think there is a decent chance that either Pitts (or an improved shooting York) wind up at the 2. If we go big with SJ at the off-guard the entire conference will zone us and force SJ and TJM to prove they can hit the 3 consistently.....which they may not be able to.
If you start Pitts or York you have to sit SJ, BA, or Zeus. No thanks.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The idea of Pitts or York at SG with Johnson off the bench just won't happen for several reasons, the most important to recruiting is you don't sit 5-star, top-10, NBA Lottery-bound recruits. Not unless you have an absolute stud at the same position.

I like York, and I'm very high on Pitts, but outside of injury, I don't see either sniffing the starting lineup.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

JMarkJohns wrote:The idea of Pitts or York at SG with Johnson off the bench just won't happen for several reasons, the most important to recruiting is you don't sit 5-star, top-10, NBA Lottery-bound recruits. Not unless you have an absolute stud at the same position.

I like York, and I'm very high on Pitts, but outside of injury, I don't see either sniffing the starting lineup.
And if SJ/TJM are unable to break the zones we will face???

I suppose its possible that Miller stubbornly starts SJ every game but if we just end up being zoned and SJ can't hit the 3 we could end up digging ourselves a quick hole to start every game.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Dude duke (and others ) tried a zone last year because they weren't good enough or athletic enough to stop Arizona, same thing will happen again this year.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

If Arizona starts Johnson/Jefferson/Ashley/Tarczewski they'll go 6-7/6-7/6-9/7-0 and be one if the tallest, best defensive, best rebounding teams in the league.

You beat a zone three ways:

Shooting
Passing
Rebounding

With Ashley's ability to stretch the PF spot, and the passing 1-3, with the dominant rebounding, Arizona will punish any dared attempted zone.

That and I expect TJ and Jefferson to have improved shots. Especially TJ.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Stanley starting is not up for debate.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dmjcat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:The idea of Pitts or York at SG with Johnson off the bench just won't happen for several reasons, the most important to recruiting is you don't sit 5-star, top-10, NBA Lottery-bound recruits. Not unless you have an absolute stud at the same position.

And if SJ/TJM are unable to break the zones we will face???

I suppose its possible that Miller stubbornly starts SJ every game but if we just end up being zoned and SJ can't hit the 3 we could end up digging ourselves a quick hole to start every game.
In addition to the obvious talent gap between Pitts and York and whichever player would have to sit on the bench if one of them starts, I've got to believe we're not going to get zoned all that much. We didn't last year, so why would teams change this year?

If we do, and we don't get the outside shooting we need, then you bring in some help off the bench, but you don't let fear of a defensive scheme dictate your starting lineup.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

"In addition to the obvious talent gap between Pitts and York and whichever player would have to sit on the bench if one of them starts, I've got to believe we're not going to get zoned all that much. We didn't last year, so why would teams change this year?"

Because SJ can't shoot the 3 as well as Nick Johnson?
Because most teams would rather force AZ to prove that RHJ, SJ and TJM can hit a 20 foot jump shot than play them man to man??
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Those teams will be shorter, likely less athletic, and out of position to grab rebounds. It's an unmistakable fact that swarming, rotation-based defenses that defend spots on the floor rather than actual players rebound poorly. This will especially be true with Arizona running out a 2/3-inch-taller-than-average-lineup from SG-C.

I understand and share your concern to an extent, but shooting is actually the least efficient way to beat a zone.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

JMarkJohns wrote:I understand and share your concern to an extent, but shooting is actually the least efficient way to beat a zone.
best ways to beat a zone: (in specific order)
1. PASSING
2. REBOUNDING
3. SHOOTING

I think we are solid in 1 & 2, if we need #3 we have guys on the bench who can shoot. Some of you guys will find anything to be pessimistic about. Can't we all just be excited for the season????

BEARDOWN!!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dmjcat wrote:"In addition to the obvious talent gap between Pitts and York and whichever player would have to sit on the bench if one of them starts, I've got to believe we're not going to get zoned all that much. We didn't last year, so why would teams change this year?"

Because SJ can't shoot the 3 as well as Nick Johnson?
Because most teams would rather force AZ to prove that RHJ, SJ and TJM can hit a 20 foot jump shot than play them man to man??
Nick wasn't a huge threat last year - he shot 36.7%. If Stanley can't hit 33-35%, then he probably won't start at SG for long unless we have other outside shooters picking up the slack. To be honest, if TJMC regains his shot, and if Bash continues his good shooting, we'll be fine.

Anyway, I thought we were going to get zoned a bunch last year, but we didn't. And it wasn't our outside shooting that kept the zones away.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I understand and share your concern to an extent, but shooting is actually the least efficient way to beat a zone.
1. PASSING
2. REBOUNDING
3. SHOOTING

I think we are solid in 1 & 2, if we need #3 we have guys on the bench who can shoot. Some of you guys will find anything to be pessimistic about. Can't we all just be excited for the season????

BEARDOWN!!!
To be fair, dmj was just giving his opinion that York or Pitts should start. That's not really being pessimistic. Is it?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
1. PASSING
2. REBOUNDING
3. SHOOTING

BEARDOWN!!!
Actually, I would have transition at #1. If you catch teams on the break or secondary break, they can run any kind of zone they want.

I'd put high post play up there too. Passing needs to have dimensions to it. A Ashley/Zeus high post/low post attack is something I'll be happy to see next year.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Pitts hit some pressure 3's last year, given his limited time. The guy seems to have perfect form every time he launches from 3. Decent rebounder, and his d is getting better. If he makes the sophomore jump he may be another key in what looks more and more like a NC contending team. Miller seemed to draw up some plays after timeouts for Elliott to take a 3, and he hit most of them. With TJ, Johnson, Pitts, Ashley and Zeus on the floor, we will have plenty of mid-range and 3 point shooting. If RHJ has truly improved his midrange shot, well ... that wouldn't even be fair! :D

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just because a team plays zone, doesn't mean they play it well. What teams on our sked regularly deploy an effective zone?

Plus, plenty of teams have zone busters who aren't starters. And there's that whole other side of the game wherein we play defense. Typically, your zone busters don't thrive at that.

In addition, why sit the better shooter -- Johnson -- rather than Rondae or Tarc to address this "problem?"
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Just because a team plays zone, doesn't mean they play it well. What teams on our sked regularly deploy an effective zone?

Plus, plenty of teams have zone busters who aren't starters. And there's that whole other side of the game wherein we play defense. Typically, your zone busters don't thrive at that.

In addition, why sit the better shooter -- Johnson -- rather than Rondae or Tarc to address this "problem?"
True zone teams don't get busted. Syracuse will play you all night on the idea that your "busters" will open up opportunities for them to win, and they'll just keep playing their zone.

The best thing is to have a team that knows what to do vs the zone, not special players for it. Then, you just trot your usual rotations out and you're fine.

The number of CBB teams that effectively play zone isn't big enough to really worry about it. Having smart, experienced players (which we do) goes a long way.