Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:We need to beat Gonzaga and St Johns I think to have a hope of staying out west. I think the committee sticks us in Louisville’s bracket otherwise. They just look to be the best team in college basketball right now and if the NCAA can’t stick it to us the committee will
Agree completely. Actually, I think it's really just Gonzaga at this point. We could conceivably win that one, lose to St. John's, finish first or second in the Pac, and end up with a 3 seed, imo. And this assumes we get some wins over ranked Pac teams.

The Gonzaga game is our one remaining chance for a "signature win." A win would pay huge dividends on Selection Sunday; a loss would make it easier for the committee to downgrade our seed, almost regardless of our Pac finish.
Big agree.

Hopefully the return home after four tough games away provides us with some McKale Magic. FWIW KenPom has it as a toss up heading in. Tune-up on Wednesday and then the big show (on ESPN2, at 10pm Eastern) on Saturday.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

This sucks, we're now likely shoehorned into a #4 seed if we finish the season well (4 or less loses) as our ceiling because our OOC schedule strength is abysmal. 4-6 seed is where we are likely to land.

Gonzaga is getting their #1 seed in the West and Arizona will likely be shipped out to the Midwest, South or East. Oregon looks better and has a much better resume, they could get #2 seed if they win the conference (likely happening with Dante getting waivers). They might stay out West but the committee usually doesn't put teams that have played in the regular season in the same bracket.

Say Gonzaga gets #1 in the West, Oregon gets a 2 or 3 seed in the South (closer to home for them), Arizona would likely go Midwest and possibly face Ohio St as #1. East could be Louisville, Duke etc

I don't see a win or two over Oregon being enough to get a #3 seed, resume is too weak and the conference isn't strong enough. Now this could be a 1997 scenario where Arizona beats 3 #1 seeds but there's a reason it's only happened once.

I still think this team is a S16 team with the caveat that Mannion could carry this team far, but he's been struggling. Frankly I would stop following because I don't see how Arizona could get through a second round 4 vs 5 matchup or a 1 vs 4 in the sweet 16. The only thing that gives me any hope is that there's no dominant team and this could be a wild 2011 or 2014 year where a flawed team and flawed coach like this could go far.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

5 seed in the South now with Kentucky, Kansas and Michigan
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hard to imagine Gonzaga not being the #1 seed in the West. Might as well give it to em now.

AZ's highest possible seed is probably the 3/4 line. Only a monster Pac record and reg season title would get them in contention for a 2 seed, which I don't see happening. If we can go like 13-5 or better and finish 3rd or higher, we should be on track for a 3/4-range seed, tipping higher or lower depending on how we did vs. the best in our league.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So this is maybe the year that seeding doesn't matter quite as much, everyone is very beatable. Including us, but there isn't a team that is crazy good. The blueprints are out there, my biggest fear is playing Mack.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

lots of basketball left
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

97cats wrote:lots of basketball left
So much parity this year. There's no team we cant beat on a given night with the talent on this roster. No matter what happens during the regular season. I'm gonna believe that this team could go all the way in March until its all over.

Also, very strange to see a home game vs UCLA is our only Q4 matchup in the whole PAC. Wazzu isnt even a Q4.
loomer

Post by loomer »

It's a really down year overall. Have to take advantage of it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Amen.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

And numbers-wise, the Pac is stronger this year. We can play our way into a decent seed. Huge game @Oregon fast approaching!
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I would take that draw as a 9 seed in a second.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i never like being in that 8/9 game
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

97cats wrote:i never like being in that 8/9 game
Are you referring to All 8/9 games in general or an 8/9 game vs IU?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

An 8 seed...man. It's crazy just how much changed with those losses to Baylor and Gonzaga. We really, really needed one of those to make a case for a higher seed. Now, our only hope is to finish top three in the Pac with at least one win over Oregon. Going 0-2 (possibly 0-3 if we see them in the Pac tourney) vs. Oregon on the year with, say, wins over Colorado and Washington as our only "quality wins" for the entire season, that would probably get us up to a 5 seed. Any wins over Oregon open the door for something better than a 5 seed.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Frybry02 wrote:
I would take that draw as a 9 seed in a second.
Are they being serious with that South division? If I saw anything like that in March I'd be laughing maniacally.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Fespn has us #5 in the West. 5 P12s with UW in a play in game
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

We aren’t going to be an 8 seed. We are something like 13th in the NCAA’s Net rankings.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:We aren’t going to be an 8 seed. We are something like 13th in the NCAA’s Net rankings.
There's a serious disconnect between our computer numbers and the media. Kenpom has us much higher too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's possible that projected 8 seed is based more on expected upcoming outcomes than on current metrics.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology" target="_blank

I'd take this draw in a second.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

I'd take this draw in a second.
We might be favored to get to the final four if that's the bracket.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If this most recent projection is even remotely accurate, it’s hard to see how tomorrow’s outcome isn’t critical. We’re in mid-January with zero quality wins.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:If this most recent projection is even remotely accurate, it’s hard to see how tomorrow’s outcome isn’t critical. We’re in mid-January with zero quality wins.
Completely agree. Lose a home game and we have to make it up on the road (sweep UW & WSU for example) which will be quite difficult. We need desperately to get our first Quad 1 win tomorrow. I'll be there cheering the Cats on. We somehow need to find a way to stop Mckinley Wright from eating us up with penetration.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

That's a brutal region. But in all honesty this season is much more wide open than usual. Even the seemingly impossible could happen; like us getting to the Final Four :lol: One game at a time.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i believe Arizona’s schedule sets up for them if they can get this road trip off to a hot start - they need the first two.

if they do and string together some wins they will rise in the rankings/seedlings very fast.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's looking more and more like it's less a question of whether we'll get in than what our seed may be. Still think we need to beat Oregon to rise higher than a 5 seed, but stranger things have happened.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's looking more and more like it's less a question of whether we'll get in than what our seed may be. Still think we need to beat Oregon to rise higher than a 5 seed, but stranger things have happened.
This hasn't changed from day 1
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I'm rooting for a 4,5, 6 or 7 seed in the west. But honestly, I don't care. I'm having fun watching this team for the first time in a couple years, warts & all. Keep improving & then take our shot. LFG & Bear Down Arizona.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like the PAC is getting some respect in that bracketology
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Looks like the PAC is getting some respect in that bracketology
Yes. Stanford and USC are quietly having very good seasons and putting themselves in position for a bid.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

]
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, metrics are metrics. Even with all the bad losses, if these numbers hold up, we’re not only dancing but pretty safely away from the bubble.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:I mean, metrics are metrics. Even with all the bad losses, if these numbers hold up, we’re not only dancing but pretty safely away from the bubble.
Make. Up. Your. Mind.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:I mean, metrics are metrics. Even with all the bad losses, if these numbers hold up, we’re not only dancing but pretty safely away from the bubble.
The more you post the less you say.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
I've got something to say.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I've got something to say.
Lets read it then.

You can only go off current results. And as of today the Cats are no where near the bubble
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

#5 Florida just lost to unranked Virginia...#17 is currently down 12 points to the unranked and almost bottom of the conference (1-5 in conference) Ole Miss...

This is the year pretty much every team NOT in a cupcake conference will have multiple road losses...every team.

The road is brutal this year and at the end of the season the committee will have to consider that or just hand the trophy to SDSU...
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... itle-game/" target="_blank

Read down to the bottom
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

SCCats wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... itle-game/

Read down to the bottom
You shouldn't post stuff like this SCCats..PhxCats may blow a gasket

A look at three teams whose NCAA Tournament resume may not be as good as you think

Arizona: No. 8 seed
The Wildcats are No. 22 in the current AP Top 25, although that is likely to change following Arizona State's come-from-behind victory vs. Arizona on Saturday. However, they are doing very well in the NET (10th) and other margin-of-victory-based metrics. That is partly because their few good wins, which have all come at home, have been by big margins. The Wildcats beat Colorado by 24 for their only Q1 victory. They also crushed Illinois by 21, Arizona State by 28 and Utah by 16. Those are Arizona's four Q1 and 2 wins.

The Wildcats have yet to beat anyone of substance away from home and are now 0-4 on the road. If you want a good seed in this tournament, you have to find ways to beat good teams away from home. A gaudy ranking won't do that for you. It's not decisive. Ask Wichita State, which was No. 8 in KenPom in 2017 and a No. 10 seed in the bracket. If all you have is a good ranking, you have nothing. Rankings can be fooled. The selection committee rarely is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we finish 5th in the Pac and go one and done in the tourney, PHX will still be extolling our respectable NET ranking and excellent recruiting class for '20.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:If we finish 5th in the Pac and go one and done in the tourney, PHX will still be extolling our respectable NET ranking and excellent recruiting class for '20.
You have no fucking clue how to comprehend what you read
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
SCCats wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... itle-game/

Read down to the bottom
You shouldn't post stuff like this SCCats..PhxCats may blow a gasket

A look at three teams whose NCAA Tournament resume may not be as good as you think

Arizona: No. 8 seed
The Wildcats are No. 22 in the current AP Top 25, although that is likely to change following Arizona State's come-from-behind victory vs. Arizona on Saturday. However, they are doing very well in the NET (10th) and other margin-of-victory-based metrics. That is partly because their few good wins, which have all come at home, have been by big margins. The Wildcats beat Colorado by 24 for their only Q1 victory. They also crushed Illinois by 21, Arizona State by 28 and Utah by 16. Those are Arizona's four Q1 and 2 wins.

The Wildcats have yet to beat anyone of substance away from home and are now 0-4 on the road. If you want a good seed in this tournament, you have to find ways to beat good teams away from home. A gaudy ranking won't do that for you. It's not decisive. Ask Wichita State, which was No. 8 in KenPom in 2017 and a No. 10 seed in the bracket. If all you have is a good ranking, you have nothing. Rankings can be fooled. The selection committee rarely is.
What’s interesting is that the last projected bracket Palm put out before this one he had Arizona as a 10 seed
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Tonight's win counts as a Q1 win (for now). With Illinois winning again they are officially in the top 30 net. Cats are now 3-4 against Q1 opponents.