lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Would you believe dental health?
Explains why you can't see any teeth. Must have lived in a non-fluoridated area.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:thanks for not being our home court jinx, rawle. hope you're enjoying your visit :D
He got to see a great atmosphere in McKale tonight. The crowd was locked in.

Coach Miller told me this one quote, he told me, "With team success comes individual success." That stuck with me. I think too many times we focus on the bigger picture, but to get to that bigger picture you have to go through tonight and tomorrow. That's what I love about Arizona, they never get ahead of themselves. That's what they're about."

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... -to-tucson" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Come on down, RA!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

"The first time I went I was there for the Oregon game when they lost at home. Before that game they were 49-0 at home and when they lost I was like man I don't want to be bad luck! Haha!

After the game those guys were in there crying and everything like that because it would've been Coach (Sean) Miller's 300th win.

Coach Miller was saying that he hopes this doesn't affect their recruitment of me, but I told him I love the fact that one loss is like the world ended! I love that because I'm a winner. And winning is the only option. Honestly, seeing their reaction to losing was a high point of the visit for me.
The Oregon loss doesn't seem like such a bad thing now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
az91

Post by az91 »

AZCatGirl wrote:
"The first time I went I was there for the Oregon game when they lost at home. Before that game they were 49-0 at home and when they lost I was like man I don't want to be bad luck! Haha!

After the game those guys were in there crying and everything like that because it would've been Coach (Sean) Miller's 300th win.

Coach Miller was saying that he hopes this doesn't affect their recruitment of me, but I told him I love the fact that one loss is like the world ended! I love that because I'm a winner. And winning is the only option. Honestly, seeing their reaction to losing was a high point of the visit for me.
The Oregon loss doesn't seem like such a bad thing now.
I really hope RA decides to come to Tucson.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone like the look of this?

KA
AT
JJ
LM
DR

Bench: RS, PJC, JS, RA, KS, CC
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In before lock
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Time to lock it up?

caveat:
The majority of discussion re "talk 16" is informative, important and interesting. However, we're stepping into the twilight zone now. :(
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I understand the curiosity about Elliott's situation, and the natural instinct to speculate, but stop. It does no one (including Pitts and the program) to have a bunch of rumors floating around the Internet. If fans were supposed to know what happened, the AD would announce it.

So quit it. If threads are going to devolve into people playing amateur detective/psychologist and throw out every theory they can come up with, those threads are going to get locked.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

The fundamental things apply
As time goes by
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I really hope Jackson announces soon. I understand it is in his best interests to wait but I really just want to know. I won't be angry if he chooses somewhere else.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't anticipate announcements from Jackson or Alkins for another 6-8 weeks at least
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Thank you...

I really hope the Cats are focused on 'Rado.

F¥¢& Assu!
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Chicat wrote:I understand the curiosity about Elliott's situation, and the natural instinct to speculate, but stop. It does no one (including Pitts and the program) to have a bunch of rumors floating around the Internet. If fans were supposed to know what happened, the AD would announce it.

So quit it. If threads are going to devolve into people playing amateur detective/psychologist and throw out every theory they can come up with, those threads are going to get locked.
People have been speculating for months and it's never been a problem. Now I posted something with some actual substance and it got deleted. Could it be because it's actually what really happened? If they're going to stay silent on the situation there will be speculation. It's the nature of it. And the program is bringing it on IMO by not sharing anything.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Chicat wrote:I understand the curiosity about Elliott's situation, and the natural instinct to speculate, but stop. It does no one (including Pitts and the program) to have a bunch of rumors floating around the Internet. If fans were supposed to know what happened, the AD would announce it.

Well done, Chi. Agree completely.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

billk78 wrote:

People have been speculating for months and it's never been a problem. Now I posted something with some actual substance and it got deleted. Could it be because it's actually what really happened? If they're going to stay silent on the situation there will be speculation. It's the nature of it. And the program is bringing it on IMO by not sharing anything.
Actually the Pitts thread got locked due to needless speculation (why do you think people were talking about it here?), and a number of posts got deleted, including yours. If you have something to add to the conversation regarding 2016 recruiting, have at it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea, let's keep it to what's really important to the season.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Josh Jackson = perfect fit
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Josh Jackson = perfect fit
Random posts from 97 about JJ being a perfect fit at AZ are always a pleasure to read :)

KA
AT
JJ
LM
DR
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can someone explain to me how CU is #34 in the RPI? We lead the PAC with 11 wins against the top 100 but I think we only have 2 wind vs the top 50 (Lost to Providence, Oregon and Usc. Beat Usc and Oregon St, how are they top 50?).

We need to sweep this road trip then beat Cal to solidify our record. That will get us a 3 or 4 seed for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:
We need to sweep this road trip then beat Cal to solidify our record. That will get us a 3 or 4 seed for sure
Oh, we're beating Cal and Stanford at McKale. Winning two road games this week...that's the tougher challenge.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:Josh Jackson = perfect fit
Random posts from 97 about JJ being a perfect fit at AZ are always a pleasure to read :)

KA
AT
JJ
LM
DR
So you finally converted to LM as our starter at the 4. Accept Lauri into your life.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
So you finally converted to LM as our starter at the 4. Accept Lauri into your life.
No one seems to think RS will be the better starter at the 4 spot by November. So be it. Just means we've got an NBA player on the bench.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
No one seems to think RS will be the better starter at the 4 spot by November. So be it. Just means we've got an NBA player on the bench.
If we have Allen, Trier, JJ, LM and DR, we have at least 2 likely pros on the bench, maybe up to 4. If RS starts over LM, we still have that number of pros on the bench.

Bottom line, if Trier and JJ happens, we're over 5 pros on the roster next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My totally uninformed gut shot starting 5 next year:

Allen/PJC
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

I think Trier goes pro & we land Jackson and keep him away from China. Simmons/Simon provide wing depth, Comanche backs up the 5, grad transfer post to help for depth.

Final Four bound.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:My totally uninformed gut shot starting 5 next year:

Allen/PJC
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

I think Trier goes pro & we land Jackson and keep him away from China. Simmons/Simon provide wing depth, Comanche backs up the 5, grad transfer post to help for depth.

Final Four bound.
I think our tourney performance may impact AT's decision. If we flame out early, I could see him coming back to play with JJ and improve his draft stock. If we get to the FF, I could see him going pro as his draft stock would presumably be quite strong. Guys who star for teams that go deep in the tourney always get a little bump in their draft stock.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

62% AZ now for Alkins

http://247sports.com/Player/Rawle-Alkins-35844" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:62% AZ now for Alkins

http://247sports.com/Player/Rawle-Alkins-35844" target="_blank
Cool, but pretty sure he's not deciding until the summer.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

When it gets to 68%, I may be ready to assume he's ours. But not a shade below 68.
az91

Post by az91 »

Allen/PJC
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

Final Four bound.
After today, I wonder if Comanche should be in the starting five next year rather than Ristic?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

az91 wrote:

Allen/PJC
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

Final Four bound.
After today, I wonder if Comanche should be in the starting five next year rather than Ristic?
Our chances at landing Jackson are probably 1 in 3 at best. My guess at a starting 5 (assuming we get Alkins):

Point Guard: Allen/PJC
Shooting Guard: Alkins
Small Forward: Simmons
Power Forward: Markkanen
Center: Ristic
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're getting JJ.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:
az91 wrote:

Allen/PJC
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

Final Four bound.
Our chances at landing Jackson are probably 1 in 3 at best. My guess at a starting 5 (assuming we get Alkins):

Point Guard: Allen/PJC
Shooting Guard: Alkins
Small Forward: Simmons
Power Forward: Markkanen
Center: Ristic
Well at worst they are 1 in 3...since JJ is down to three schools... Lol

But what makes you think he isn't coming here?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:We're getting JJ.

FF 8-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We're getting JJ.

FF 8-)
Yep. The JJ Sweepstakes have huge implications.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Point Guard: Allen/PJC
Cats are going to be in a world of hurt if KA and PJC are the PGs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Isn't KS a PG?
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Isn't KS a PG?
Yes, and I hope he is better than both KA and PJC.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Justin Simon also came in as a 6'5" PG, although probably both he and Kobi and probably more combo guards.

PJC will probably end up 3rd PG on the floor next year. Perhaps end of the bench.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:Justin Simon also came in as a 6'5" PG, although probably both he and Kobi and probably more combo guards.

PJC will probably end up 3rd PG on the floor next year. Perhaps end of the bench.
Comparing JS and KS is crazy. One is a talented offensive player with handle, shooting touch, and playmaking abilities. The other is really athletic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Justin Simon is a wing. Simmons is a 1,2,3.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Merkin wrote:Justin Simon also came in as a 6'5" PG, although probably both he and Kobi and probably more combo guards.

not sure if the coaching staff would allow it, but PJC should consider redshirting next season. no shame in taking a dev year -- look at kadeem. CSM's concern will probably be that the team will be pretty green. kadeem and dusan will be our upperclassmen leaders if PJC sits things out.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:Justin Simon is a wing. Simmons is a 1,2,3.
Will be interesting to see where Simon ends up with us. Coach has used him as a wing, but his background is PG both at Temecula HS and Brewster Academy.

The guy has nice handles and seems to have good court vision. Either Coach sees him as a wing and will develop him that way, or sees him eventually at PG but isn't willing to risk PG time for him so late in the season.. I see him best at the 2.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Justin Simon is a wing. Simmons is a 1,2,3.
Will be interesting to see where Simon ends up with us. Coach has used him as a wing, but his background is PG both at Temecula HS and Brewster Academy.

The guy has nice handles and seems to have good court vision. Either Coach sees him as a wing and will develop him that way, or sees him eventually at PG but isn't willing to risk PG time for him so late in the season.. I see him best at the 2.
At Brewster he primarily played on the wing as well. David Crisp, currently at UW, was the point guard. He's capable of handling the ball, but he's definitely better suited on the wing. The guy just needs to figure out how to play organized basketball.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Simmons is going to be a point/combo in the NBA. From what I've seen, that is exactly what he will be at Arizona, and I am betting he is getting most of his minutes at the point. He has a point guard skill set, just the versatility and size to play off the ball. The main question will be, will he defend? Whether he runs/facilitates the offense or not, I think we are fine either way. Defense aside, just need a guy who can be the primary ball handler up the floor, and protect the ball and not kill us with a ton of turnovers. If he is adequate in all those things, everything else he brings could push him above Kadeem as the starting 1, at least at some point, because his explosiveness and playmaking ability (for himself and others) appears to be outstanding. Kadeem will be steady, will defend, can put the ball in the hoop, and will have a year+ experience at point.

Still havent seen Simon play a game where I am comfortable with him at point for extended periods. His quickness and explosiveness are nice, but I havent seen much in terms of clean, crisp passes or being able to get the ball to others in optimal shooting situations. Ive seen a flashy handle at times, but it still looks extremely loose and raw to my eye. I see him as a turnover machine with that responsibility, even just as the guy who gets the ball up the floor and starts the offense. His shot obviously limits him a lot, and without being great to exceptional everywhere else (outside of his explosiveness), I'm just not seeing him being the primary or even 2nd option at point next year. Regardless, we look like we will have a ton of options and someone will get it done. We have to take a step back and realize there wont be a TJ on next year's team either, but understand that TJ was a special player for a reason.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Any interest in Terrance Ferguson, 97?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I hope so .... I've seen him play in person quite a few times and he is a lights out shooter and great athlete.

I'd rather have him than RA tbh. Idk what the dynamic is, and there's no way we can take all 3 right???? But I think Miller is going all-in next year. He may try and pull a Kentucky class and let the chips fall where they may. Get as much talent as possible and let the best players play. Fuck it.

Obv JJ is the priority but Ferg is a killer in his own right.

Evan Daniels said Arizona fans should pay attention to this decommit news and he's usually pretty informed.

Love to hear the boards opinion on this one.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

According to ESPN, Ferguson has an offer from UofA. I think he was on the team Miller coached for the US this summer and I have seen him quoted as saying last year that he would love to play for Coach Miller.
Last edited by jsbowl16 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Miller and him formed a pretty damn good relationship with Team USA. Fingers crossed here as he'd be the perfect Trier insurance.