Post by azcat49 »

Steve Kerr :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Captain Obvious

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Captain Obvious »

For some reason I don't think it would be wise to hire an alum as HC. I'd rather have a seasoned coach who can recruit. Someone who can orchestrate a program effectively and surround himself with competent assistants/staff. I don't want a HC in training; I want someone who can hit the ground running.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49 wrote:Steve Kerr :)
“There’s a reason I coach in the NBA,” said Kerr, whose Golden State Warriors won their second title in three years in June. “I never wanted to be a college coach.

And Kerr’s stance was only strengthened after an FBI investigation recently shed light on a bribery scheme involving several schools.

“I don’t immerse myself in that stuff. The NBA is very pure,” he said. “We don’t want to make apologies or concessions about what we’re doing. We’re just playing basketball. It’s a business. And the NCAA obviously has lots of things to figure out on many levels who they are and what they’re doing
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Captain Obvious wrote:For some reason I don't think it would be wise to hire an alum as HC.
Yes it's a stupid idea.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Geary has had actual success

Kerr wants no part of college ball
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

NYCat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:For some reason I don't think it would be wise to hire an alum as HC.
Yes it's a stupid idea.
I agree but I can see it being tossed around soley for positive PR after all of this
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is Cal ready to leave UK?
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Greg Marshall, Wichita St.?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Postmaster wrote:Is Cal ready to leave UK?
I’d be down for cal
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Greg Marshall, Wichita St.?
He'd be the type to replace Sean's replacement is my guess.

How about Randy Bennett? He can develop his players, recruit internationally, which may be how we have to recruit at first, and he is from Arizona.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Captain Obvious wrote:For some reason I don't think it would be wise to hire an alum as HC. I'd rather have a seasoned coach who can recruit. Someone who can orchestrate a program effectively and surround himself with competent assistants/staff. I don't want a HC in training; I want someone who can hit the ground running.
I think that's right, and recruiting is the key. Even Division II men's basketball is filled with amazing X and O coaches who could hold their own at any level, but they're in Division II because they aren't recruiters. And there are so few head coaches who are able to navigate the complexities of top-level recruiting.

If you bring in an alum, you're likely to get neither an X and O guy nor somebody who's ready to recruit at a top level.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Aren't they in the yahoo story?
Captain Obvious

Postmaster wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Yes it's a stupid idea.
I agree but I can see it being tossed around soley for positive PR after all of this
That's a good point I hadn't given consideration to. My problem is when I think of alum coaches I think of Josh Pastner and even though he was a crowd favorite I never really liked the guy as a player or coach. Not even sure why. Just something about him. Seemed more like a used car salesman than a basketball coach. Of course a lot of them are like used car salesman.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Josh has too much stuff going on, not that I want him.
Neither Miles, JB or Damon has recruited much
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Josh has too much stuff going on, not that I want him.
Neither Miles, JB or Damon has recruited much
Damon fwiw identified and recruited Justin Simon and Ray Smith. Obviously neither worked out for Arizona for totally different reasons, but those are two guys who if everything panned out right i.e. no torn ACLs and no clashing with Miller, would've worked out beyond well for Arizona.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Miles Simon?

Love you, but hard pass.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Create a new thread guys, Sean Miller is the Head Coach
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, for once Seth Davis and I agree on something.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I wonder if Reggie Geary would be given a shot?
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Olsondogg wrote:Create a new thread guys, Sean Miller is the Head Coach
+1
And by the way, this shit ain't over until it's all the way over. That means we fight until Miller is gone
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beefcurtainsandwich wrote:
+1
And by the way, this shit ain't over until it's all the way over. That means we fight until Miller is gone
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Miller Trier Thursday. Gonna sleep well .. let's get it! that natty fellas
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Postmaster wrote:Here is a shirt idea.

ESPN Sucks,
Dick
Vitale
w E
deStroy
People's
Names
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

In re UofA wrote:Miles Simon?

Love you, but hard pass.
VERY hard pass. We don't have an alumni who is qualified for this position outside of Kerr (who won't take it).

Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan are fantasies IMO

Greg Marshal makes almost 50% more than Sean Miller.....after paying off RRod/Miller I doubt we have that kind of $$ left in the tank.

Realistic choices:

Beard/TTech
Cronin/Cincy
Hurley/Rhode Island
Musselman/Nevada
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Who will be off Twitter longer, Schlabach or Hansen?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

azgreg wrote:
+1
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I said that the other day to some people. One guy "corrected" me the rest didn't get it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

+1
I'm talking about 2035
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:97 knows what I think all of us knew regardless and that's that Arizona and Miller's time together is coming to an end soon. It's a matter of how soon at this point.
ya and its been a good fricking run, I just didn't expect to potentially go down like this.

Sean Miller came to Arizona when we needed him more than ever and produced 242 wins, I can say I'm more than pleased with the results and all the good times that came with it.

I do believe and have since the FBI scandal hit that he was coming down the stretch at AZ - I was hearing more chatter than ever from folks at a different altitude than I was used to.

it appeared to me that after the season both parties would go their separate ways amicably, that can still happen.

let the coach finish his final run and begin the healing process at that point.

and if for some stroke tomorrow Trier gets cleared I believe the Wildcats have the best shot to cut the nets down in Sean Miller's nine years.

Go Cats!!
Disagree............the 2014 team was easily better. The only player on this team better than its 2014 counterpart is Ayton.

I agree that the UA should let Sean coach the last two games and be on hand for Senior Day. After that I think the UA needs to part ways and withdraw from the PAC12/NCAA tourney. Playing now only ensures that we will get worse sanctions down the road. I realize that many posters want to see the Cats in Vegas one more time (I have my tickets/reservations) but its not worth it if it delays the rebuilding of the program. Now is not the time to be short sighted.......................and lets be realistic. If Trier is not back by Saturday night (end of season) he's not going to be back for the Tourney. As it is its unlikely he will come back in any case. Without Trier this team is ripe for a 1st round upset and most certainly favored to lose in the 2nd round as a 5 or 6 seed.
Captain Obvious

Longhorned wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:For some reason I don't think it would be wise to hire an alum as HC. I'd rather have a seasoned coach who can recruit. Someone who can orchestrate a program effectively and surround himself with competent assistants/staff. I don't want a HC in training; I want someone who can hit the ground running.
I think that's right, and recruiting is the key. Even Division II men's basketball is filled with amazing X and O coaches who could hold their own at any level, but they're in Division II because they aren't recruiters. And there are so few head coaches who are able to navigate the complexities of top-level recruiting.

If you bring in an alum, you're likely to get neither an X and O guy nor somebody who's ready to recruit at a top level.
Very well stated as usual. I feel bad for looking ahead if Miller is dismissed or walks away but at this point the lack of a definitive answer has left me guessing on the best alternatives. Hopefully we'll know something tomorrow.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

There is a new thread for unbelievers to discuss a different coach.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Irish27 wrote:
I loved him as a player.

He was a disaster as an assistant when he was here. DISASTER.

And now he is an assistant in his 1st year on a dogshit Lakers team.

I am dumbfounded as to how anyone can consider hiring him a good idea.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:

Love you, but hard pass.
VERY hard pass. We don't have an alumni who is qualified for this position outside of Kerr (who won't take it).

Greg Marshal makes almost 50% more than Sean Miller.....after paying off RRod/Miller I doubt we have that kind of $$ left in the tank.

Realistic choices:

Beard/TTech
Cronin/Cincy
Hurley/Rhode Island
Musselman/Nevada
Lmao yeah Bobby Hurley's brother would go over well here. Good call. I agree on Beard, but don't think he's take it now due to what's going on. Hard pass on Cronin. I could see Musselman, but I'd prefer Randy Bennett over him.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Jamie Dixon?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

To be fair, KO didn't really let him do anything.

But he would not be my choice, in 2035.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

dmjcat wrote:
Disagree............the 2014 team was easily better. The only player on this team better than its 2014 counterpart is Ayton.

I agree that the UA should let Sean coach the last two games and be on hand for Senior Day. After that I think the UA needs to part ways and withdraw from the PAC12/NCAA tourney. Playing now only ensures that we will get worse sanctions down the road. I realize that many posters want to see the Cats in Vegas one more time (I have my tickets/reservations) but its not worth it if it delays the rebuilding of the program. Now is not the time to be short sighted.......................and lets be realistic. If Trier is not back by Saturday night (end of season) he's not going to be back for the Tourney. As it is its unlikely he will come back in any case. Without Trier this team is ripe for a 1st round upset and most certainly favored to lose in the 2nd round as a 5 or 6 seed.
This guy

Withdraw from Pac12/NCAA tourney :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taking the opportunity to play in the postseason away from ALL of our players, is really going to hope with recruiting down the road.

We'll have to vacate a few more W's and one last tourney run? Boo hoo
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

CatHoops wrote:Jamie Dixon?
He’s at his alma mater. I don’t think he’d leave that soon
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Do we have a flight tracker for the ABOR?
Ih8assu

Post by Ih8assu »

James Whitford?
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ESPN Sucks,
tiny
Dick
Vitale
Fixed it for you
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Love you, but hard pass.

Realistic choices:

Beard/TTech
Cronin/Cincy
Hurley/Rhode Island
Musselman/Nevada
Lmao yeah Bobby Hurley's brother would go over well here. Good call. I agree on Beard, but don't think he's take it now due to what's going on. Hard pass on Cronin. I could see Musselman, but I'd prefer Randy Bennett over him.
Agree about Bennett but I think he's just as unlikely to leave St. Marys as Mark Few is to leave Gonzaga.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Any alum named as head coach would need some really good assistants that can X & O with the best of them and who can "coach" a great practice. That means identifying player weaknesses and teaching. The head coach will need to be able to draw positive attention to the Arizona brand and recruit like hell. You need a nice mix on the staff.

We really hit a grand slam hiring Sean Miller. Very depressing.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

ESPN Sucks,
tiny
Dick
Vitale
Fixed it for you
Enjoy
Sean’s
Pennsylvania
Nuts
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Archie Miller? :D
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

ESPN Sucks,
tiny
Dick
Vitale
Fixed it for you
Enjoy
Sean’s
Pennsylvania
Nuts
How about:
Espn sucks
One-eyed Dick
Vitale
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

This guy

Withdraw from Pac12/NCAA tourney :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taking the opportunity to play in the postseason away from ALL of our players, is really going to hope with recruiting down the road.

We'll have to vacate a few more W's and one last tourney run? Boo hoo
Yeah. Dumb to pull out of the tourneys. Every win this season is ripe for vacating. Ride it out as far as you can. :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

My Daughter was born a few month after Miller was. It’s really hard to possibly realize this team not coached by Miller. It feels like a part of family has passed if the ABOR lets him go!
Last edited by 3goggles on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This is the “I hope we get to have break up sex” thread and not the “who is our rebound” thread.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:Any alum named as head coach would need some really good assistants that can X & O with the best of them and who can "coach" a great practice. That means identifying player weaknesses and teaching. The head coach will need to be able to draw positive attention to the Arizona brand and recruit like hell. You need a nice mix on the staff.

We really hit a grand slam hiring Sean Miller. Very depressing.
Yep. This is the toughest pill.

I would think that most here thought the only chance of losing Sean would be if he left for a bigger job. Seeing his time at AZ (possibly) end amid scandal and shame is indeed depressing.