Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Ih8assu

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Ih8assu »

97cats wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
I don't think he will touch either of those jobs.
i feel very comfortable saying if University of Kentucky ever offers Sean Miller the head basketball coaching position he would almost certainly not accept.

i feel very comfortable saying if University of North Carolina ever offers Sean Miller the head basketball coaching position he would almost certainly accept.
Does reaching a Final Four here have any bearing on this?
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Ih8assu wrote:
had Coach Miller reached a Final Four in '14 or '15 i think the chances would be far less likely, meaning it would have been a positive in terms of AZ locking him down and keeping him long term, however that didnt happen and timing now is working against AZ.

if he makes a final four this year or god forbid wins a title i could see UNC coming at him hard sometime over the next two years if not immediately.

i dont think Roy reaches 70 on the sidelines.
Ih8assu

Post by Ih8assu »

Figures. Thanks for the reply '97. I guess we shall see if Heele is up to the challenge
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Ih8assu wrote:
had Coach Miller reached a Final Four in '14 or '15 i think the chances would be far less likely, meaning it would have been a positive in terms of AZ locking him down and keeping him long term, however that didnt happen and timing now is working against AZ.

if he makes a final four this year or god forbid wins a title i could see UNC coming at him hard sometime over the next two years if not immediately.

i dont think Roy reaches 70 on the sidelines.
I'd figure it's better for our chances for Miller to make a Final Four or win it this year. Yeah, it may increase his value, but you have to figure he's on that list regardless. Roy can't get forced out, so it really depends on how long he wants it. With a runner up and NC in the last two years, he sure hasn't fallen off.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'd figure it's better for our chances for Miller to make a Final Four or win it this year.
at this point, imo, it doesn't really matter when he wins it, this year or next or next or both and both, Sean Miller is on the cusp and AZ has the pre-season #1 team heading into the summer.
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Yeah, it may increase his value, but you have to figure he's on that list regardless.
absolutely, Coach Miller is an unreal college coach, had he been to the FF with AZ already I believe he would be less likely to skip.

hes been through a lot since coming to Tucson, validating all the amazing progress and energy by breaking through multiple times over the next three years would be fitting.

at that point, if UNC offered and Roy was ready, my gut says he takes it.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Roy can't get forced out, so it really depends on how long he wants it.
of course not, and yes for sure to the second.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:With a runner up and NC in the last two years, he sure hasn't fallen off.
no he sure hasn't, Roy Williams is the gold standard, but he is 66 years old.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Every time a fairly attractive job opens up, Miller's name appears, either officially or by rumor. With regard to the OSU job, it is very difficult to imagine Miller being a legitimate candidate. OSU is not a better program. It doesn't offer Miller any advantages. It makes no sense.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

midnightx wrote:Every time a fairly attractive job opens up, Miller's name appears, either officially or by rumor. With regard to the OSU job, it is very difficult to imagine Miller being a legitimate candidate. OSU is not a better program. It doesn't offer Miller any advantages. It makes no sense.
in my mind there is only one job
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

97cats wrote:
midnightx wrote:Every time a fairly attractive job opens up, Miller's name appears, either officially or by rumor. With regard to the OSU job, it is very difficult to imagine Miller being a legitimate candidate. OSU is not a better program. It doesn't offer Miller any advantages. It makes no sense.
I never want to lose CSM! Isn't there anyone in the UNC Coaching Tree that is another option for them?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
UNC or UK?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The only concern Arizona fans should have is a WTF hire, and I'd hope the boosters would never let that happen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:
UNC or UK?
NC
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Honestly after the Xavier loss I've only had Miller pegged to be at Arizona for another 2-4 years with the thought that that's the timeframe Roy will step away. Even if Miller gets to multiple Final Fours or wins a title during that time I think that would still be the case.

No inside info there or anything, just what I think will occur. UNC has always been the golden goose for Sean Miller and he was never going to be an Arizona lifer regardless how much he does like it here.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:Honestly after the Xavier loss I've only had Miller pegged to be at Arizona for another 2-4 years with the thought that that's the timeframe Roy will step away. Even if Miller gets to multiple Final Fours or wins a title during that time I think that would still be the case.

No inside info there or anything, just what I think will occur. UNC has always been the golden goose for Sean Miller and he was never going to be an Arizona lifer regardless how much he does like it here.
While I certainly believe UNC could not go wrong, do we still think that they feel the exact same way about Miller? Just because they would be idiots to pass on him doesn't mean they won't be idiots...and it's all I can pray happens no matter what our results are the next few years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Honestly after the Xavier loss I've only had Miller pegged to be at Arizona for another 2-4 years with the thought that that's the timeframe Roy will step away. Even if Miller gets to multiple Final Fours or wins a title during that time I think that would still be the case.

Maybe this is rose colored glasses, but past history gives me some hope. I cannot remember a national championship winning coach leaving that school for another without a NBA leap gone wrong or an intervening souring/firing.

Maybe Miller sees it differently regarding UNC, but the extreme low incidence in the past would give me some hope. Final Fours on the other hand, people leave after those regularly.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Roy Williams lost in the national championship game to Syracuse in 2003 and then subsequently replaced Matt Doherty at North Carolina that same year.

he didn't win it all, but left Kansas with the program loaded.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Well since we're thinking ahead, who gets the 1st call if/when UNC comes calling for Sean
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:Roy Williams lost in the national championship game to Syracuse in 2003 and then subsequently replaced Matt Doherty at North Carolina that same year.

Yeah, and maybe it's a technicality that Roy didn't win it all at KU, but I also see it as relevant that he was a UNC alum.

I don't know that Miller doesn't have a near-alumni reverence for UNC, but both those factors guve me some hope. Winning the big one has historically cemented things and FF's haven't had that effect. Of course, I can also think of other reasons I would like Miller to win a NC soon here...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:Well since we're thinking ahead, who gets the 1st call if/when UNC comes calling for Sean
Reggie Theus, obviously.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:Well since we're thinking ahead, who gets the 1st call if/when UNC comes calling for Sean
Lorenzo Romar doesn't require long distance charges.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:Roy Williams lost in the national championship game to Syracuse in 2003 and then subsequently replaced Matt Doherty at North Carolina that same year.

Yeah, and maybe it's a technicality that Roy didn't win it all at KU, but I also see it as relevant that he was a UNC alum.

I don't know that Miller doesn't have a near-alumni reverence for UNC, but both those factors guve me some hope. Winning the big one has historically cemented things and FF's haven't had that effect. Of course, I can also think of other reasons I would like Miller to win a NC soon here...
That CSM would seriously consider/jump for a UNC offer seems obvious (who wouldn't??)

But UNC has a strong commitment to UNC "family", and CSM isn't a member of that tribe....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Wouldn't​ be surprised if in 2-3 years when Roy hangs his fancy jacket up, he retires in Aug, Sep so UNC can only give the job to someone he has groomed (ie Hubert) for the job.
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone think Dana Altman could be a candidate for upcoming vacancies at elite programs?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

pc in NM wrote: But UNC has a strong commitment to UNC "family", and CSM isn't a member of that tribe....
but that tribe is super thin, and Sean Miller and his family have more connections to North Carolina than anyone realizes.

yes you're correct, he isnt a "family" member of UNC, but he has family roots there.

just something to keep an eye on.....but first things first, lets get to the FF while at Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Would be surprised if in 2-3 years when Roy hangs his fancy jacket up, he retires in Aug, Sep so UNC can only give the job to someone he has groomed (ie Hubert) for the job.
Frankly, I think this might be one of the stronger things in keeping Miller; Roy's desire to name a successor and that it's unlikely he would go for Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
pc in NM wrote: But UNC has a strong commitment to UNC "family", and CSM isn't a member of that tribe....
but that tribe is super thin, and Sean Miller and his family have more connections to North Carolina than anyone realizes.

yes you're correct, he isnt a "family" member of UNC, but he has family roots there.

just something to keep an eye on.....but first things first, lets get to the FF while at Arizona.
Plus, North Carolina has grass, and who doesn't love grass?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:Would be surprised if in 2-3 years when Roy hangs his fancy jacket up, he retires in Aug, Sep so UNC can only give the job to someone he has groomed (ie Hubert) for the job.
Frankly, I think this might be one of the stronger things in keeping Miller; Roy's desire to name a successor and that it's unlikely he would go for Miller.
I mean Roy is loved in Chapel Hill and all, but he's not the athletic director. UNC learned the hard way that staying in the family doesn't always work. They hired Doherty with a total of one year of head coaching experience prior where he made the NIT and look at the results they got. Something tells me the UNC brass aren't keen on hiring Hubert, with zero head coaching experience, just simply cause he's family after that past experience. I know for a fact that UNC has their eye on Miller (not solely on him mind you) and Miller is aware of it. UNC will make the best hire that makes the most sense for them at the time. If we're talking 2-4 years from now I honestly can't name a single UNC alum that would be in a remotely equal to or better position than Sean Miller. Hell maybe there's a non-UNC alum that is remotely equal or in a better position than Sean Miller at that time, but I doubt it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I mean Roy is loved in Chapel Hill and all, but he's not the athletic director. UNC learned the hard way that staying in the family doesn't always work. They hired Doherty with a total of one year of head coaching experience prior where he made the NIT and look at the results they got. Something tells me the UNC brass aren't keen on hiring Hubert, with zero head coaching experience, just simply cause he's family after that past experience. I know for a fact that UNC has their eye on Miller (not solely on him mind you) and Miller is aware of it. UNC will make the best hire that makes the most sense for them at the time. If we're talking 2-4 years from now I honestly can't name a single UNC alum that would be in a remotely equal to or better position than Sean Miller. Hell maybe there's a non-UNC alum that is remotely equal or in a better position than Sean Miller at that time, but I doubt it.
Yes and no. I think Roy is borderline Dean Smith level at UNC in terms of his sway, and Smith very intentionally handed things off to Guthridge in picking his successor.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Our best chance of not losing Sean Miller to UNC is for UNC to offer the job to someone else.

It has been clear from day one that Miller would jump to Chapel Hill in a heartbeat. That is his holy grail…we have to respect it, and appreciate that he hasn’t left for somewhere else.

Oddly enough, our success this year could be the factor, should the best of the best happen, that gets Miller the job when it opens, which kind of sucks.

Miller to UNC is a done deal from Miller’s side, but is far from a done deal from UNC’s side. Timing, how much power Roy has in naming a successor (UNC has been burned going down that road pretty spectacularly), and development of Carolina Men in the interim all impact whether Miller would be offered the job. Sadly, the more success we have, the more attractive he will be to the UNC decision makers, no matter Roy and the alum’s desires. If he develops into what we think he is, a national championship coach with little to no baggage, it makes it harder for UNC to stick with the Carolina Man idea, especially when Sean lets it be known through his people that he is very interested/a sure thing.

So let’s just enjoy the next couple of seasons, knowing the more success we have, the more likely we will be replacing Miller when UNC opens, but also knowing that our search would be pretty high-level thanks, in part, to the success of Sean Miller in getting to a point where UNC vaulted him to the top. Success provides opportunity…both for coach and program. It would suck to lose him, but it would be a nice situation to be in, having the kind of success that makes him a shoo-in for UNC when it happens.

In the meantime, enjoy this coming season. We all know from the Lute exit that things can be a lot worse than having your legend-level coach simply leave for a higher profile job.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: @ Stephens leaving the Celtics for Ohio State. :lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Seriously? That is a nice hire if true. Almost makes you think Smith knew Stevens would take it before he dumped Matta
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Seriously? That is a nice hire if true. Almost makes you think Smith knew Stevens would take it before he dumped Matta
Is there any legit rumor on this? I haven't seen any, and my head would explode if it happened.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Zero chance Stevens leaves the Celtics for this job.

On a side note Stevens has always been my wet dream replacement for Miller here. His father lives in Tucson and maybe by the time Miller does leave he'll be more open to going to the college game. I doubt it happens, but hey that's why it's a wet dream lol.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Zero chance Stevens leaves the Celtics for this job.

On a side note Stevens has always been my wet dream replacement for Miller here. His father lives in Tucson and maybe by the time Miller does leave he'll be more open to going to the college game. I doubt it happens, but hey that's why it's a wet dream lol.
Stevens and Donovan are the only people on any list that I could think might be better than Sean Miller.

My first preference is obviously for Miller. It is hard/impossible to have anyone who is better, but if we ever had to confront the possibility, Donovan or Stevens would be the only candidates who could be better than SM. The rest would just be degrees of downgrade.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think it's only a matter of time before Donovan returns to the college game. The timing will be ridiculously important in that one that's for sure. Which job will open at the right time to land Billy D? I'm sure that's exactly who Ohio State has their eyes on.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Donovan at OSU would make them into an elite program within a few years.

I wonder who's gonna land at MSU when Izzo calls it a career. He's only 62, but he's already a HOFer with nothing left to prove.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I think it's only a matter of time before Donovan returns to the college game. The timing will be ridiculously important in that one that's for sure. Which job will open at the right time to land Billy D? I'm sure that's exactly who Ohio State has their eyes on.
OKC is a death trap. The Westbrook show is fun, but that team is going to crash down on itself soon.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I know very little about the new President Robbins but the first two statements I have read from him as President have been calling for collaboration over competition with other institutions and this. I think I can safely say the University is in better hands than it was under the previous administration.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

There was a significant Carolina connection, and without it, I doubt Roy would have left Kansas (he turned Carolina down once before). However, the second time around, Coach Smith and Michael Jordan allegedly were involved with his recruitment, two people Roy was close to and had a history with. Miller does not have that sort of connection and history with Carolina. Not saying he would not leave for the job, but in general, it is becoming less and less common for major coaches to make lateral moves. Granted Carolina is perhaps the best job in college basketball, but Arizona is a top ten program and it is unclear if Miller would have any more success and support at Carolina. There certainly would be more pressure to win at Carolina, and there is already a ton of it at Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If this were UNC with the sudden opening, we'd all be nervous as hell. OSU, for all its successes, is still not on the same level as the best jobs in the sport. I'm actually very surprised they let Matta go. Recruiting had cooled off, but that's something Matta could've brought back. Sorta wonder if they'd be best off doing an interim one year hire and then throwing their full strengths into courting Donovan or Marshall next spring. They're not going to get a big name this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:If this were UNC with the sudden opening, we'd all be nervous as hell. OSU, for all its successes, is still not on the same level as the best jobs in the sport. I'm actually very surprised they let Matta go. Recruiting had cooled off, but that's something Matta could've brought back. Sorta wonder if they'd be best off doing an interim one year hire and then throwing their full strengths into courting Donovan or Marshall next spring. They're not going to get a big name this year.
Matta had been on a downswing basically since they beat us at the buzzer in the Sweet 16. D'Lo kept them competitive his one year there, but after he left, the lack of talent really got exposed.

The decision doesn't shock me, but the timing is really weird. We'll see who they pull.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

midnightx wrote:
There was a significant Carolina connection, and without it, I doubt Roy would have left Kansas (he turned Carolina down once before). However, the second time around, Coach Smith and Michael Jordan allegedly were involved with his recruitment, two people Roy was close to and had a history with. Miller does not have that sort of connection and history with Carolina. Not saying he would not leave for the job, but in general, it is becoming less and less common for major coaches to make lateral moves. Granted Carolina is perhaps the best job in college basketball, but Arizona is a top ten program and it is unclear if Miller would have any more success and support at Carolina. There certainly would be more pressure to win at Carolina, and there is already a ton of it at Arizona.
i appreciate your feedback, and i appreciate your comments and knowledge of the past and what could be yet to come, but North Carolina is not a lateral move.

so while they rest of the color around your position makes sense to me, you need to re-calibrate where and how you view both positions, cause calling a move from Arizona to UNC anything close to a lateral move is just flat out wrong, Arizona's top 10 prowess aside.

in addition, North Carolina will not make a choice just to keep it in the family. that happened already and will never happen again. if the right special person is available and is a past family member (a.k.a. Roy Williams) than you're right its a slam dunk.

however, that will not be the case and the Tar Heel boosters and administration will look for the best and most qualified young head coach to lead them for the following 20 years.

is that Sean Miller? maybe - maybe not, i dont know.

but if Coach Miller does break tru over the course of the next 1-4 years multiple times he will be considered and if offered would almost certainly take the job.

and to my last point, The Miller family aren't North Carolina family per say, but there are many connections there that most people, certainly Arizona followers and fans, are unaware of.

just keep that in mind.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:i appreciate your feedback, and i appreciate your comments and knowledge of the past and what could be yet to come, but North Carolina is not a lateral move.

so while they rest of the color around your position makes sense to me, you need to re-calibrate where and how you view both positions, cause calling a move from Arizona to UNC anything close to a lateral move is just flat out wrong, Arizona's top 10 prowess aside.

in addition, North Carolina will not make a choice just to keep it in the family. that happened already and will never happen again. if the right special person is available and is a past family member (a.k.a. Roy Williams) than you're right its a slam dunk.

however, that will not be the case and the Tar Heel boosters and administration will look for the best and most qualified young head coach to lead them for the following 20 years.

is that Sean Miller? maybe - maybe not, i dont know.

but if Coach Miller does break tru over the course of the next 1-4 years multiple times he will be considered and if offered would almost certainly take the job.

and to my last point, The Miller family aren't North Carolina family per say, but there are many connections there that most people, certainly Arizona followers and fans, are unaware of.

just keep that in mind.
Great insight as usual, 97.

Sorta think Brad Stevens would be dynamite at UNC, but as long as the Celtics are rolling, there's no reason for him to change jobs.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Just wondering...

Would Miller be more likely to stay if Arizona got to a FF or flat out won a NC in the next 2-3 years? :?:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Just wondering...

Would Miller be more likely to stay if Arizona got to a FF or flat out won a NC in the next 2-3 years? :?:
I would assume yes. UNC will either offer or not, and everyone knows Miller is legit. The more success Miller has here, the better tie we create. I don't know if it will be enough.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I find it insulting that Miller is even mentioned or discussed relating to Ohio St. He ain't going there. Our brand new President escalated it with his idiotic comments.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Lofty wrote:I find it insulting that Miller is even mentioned or discussed relating to Ohio St. He ain't going there. Our brand new President escalated it with his idiotic comments.
Yup, struck me as a strange comment too.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

For better or worse Ohio state probably isn't seriously interested. Most of the coaches on their list are well-rounded, can coach against a zone defense, aren't allergic to fast breaks (translation: excitement), etc, and have better tournament results, not just one big win against Duke 8 years ago.

so relax, Miller isn't going anywhere.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RiseAndFire wrote:For better or worse Ohio state probably isn't seriously interested. Most of the coaches on their list are well-rounded, can coach against a zone defense, aren't allergic to fast breaks (translation: excitement), etc, and have better tournament results, not just one big win against Duke 8 years ago.

so relax, Miller isn't going anywhere.
Why aren't you jerkin it to your Boeheim poster instead of posting?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
HiCat wrote:Just wondering...

I would assume yes. UNC will either offer or not, and everyone knows Miller is legit. The more success Miller has here, the better tie we create. I don't know if it will be enough.
Yes, next March!

And if----strike the "if"----when we get there let's follow it up by tying the knot with a powerful strategic plan. One which rewards Coach immediately and fairly, then gives him a creatively constructed contract which puts the bait out there five to ten years. One which says "Leave if you must, but you walk away from a major prospective financial payoff"(tied to performance benchmarks).