Kansas

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: Kansas

Post by TheCat »

Someone from day one has predicted Kansas is in very very bad trouble. Caught with their hand in the cookie jar and it is public and was used at trial so NCAA has it all.

During closing arguments in a federal criminal case in New York last October, an attorney for former Adidas executive James Gatto told a jury that his client approved a $20,000 payment to current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa's guardian only after Self and Jayhawks assistant Kurtis Townsend requested the payment through Gassnola.
"The evidence, I submit, shows that Kansas' head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa's handler," attorney Michael Schachter told the jury. "More than that, Coach Self requested just the kind of help that Mr. Gassnola arranged as a condition for Coach Self to permit Adidas to continue their sponsorship agreement with the University of Kansas."
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

This is probably what shut dicky v up. Nothing like real evidence about one of your buds doing the same thing you've been killing someone else for to get you to shut your trap.
Won't be long and he will be calling for the Pitino-Self redemtion tour.

"There's no evidence theses guys did anything wrong, baby"

"Sean Miller made them do it, baby. He needs to go!"
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Cue "We Won't Get Fooled Again"

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I don’t feel like posting all his tweets - but Sheer is sure having a gloating night on twitter, doing one of those I Told Ya So marches when it comes to Kansas.

Edit: I’m reading through the summary notice of violations given to Kansas by the NCAA as we speak. Gotta say, of the few players names I’m seeing linked to allegations, surprised I don’t see anything on Cliff Alexander yet. That guy’s entire recruitment seemed suspect from the second he bailed on his long time commitment to Illinois.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

And nary a mention of Arizona. Some integrity in sportswriting for a change. Arizona is going to get dinged, but it’s been apparent for a year that KU was in deep shit. And yet . . .radio silence on the issue.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
And nary a mention of Arizona. Some integrity in sportswriting for a change. Arizona is going to get dinged, but it’s been apparent for a year that KU was in deep shit. And yet . . .radio silence on the issue.
Was listening to big 12 today and they had Bilas on. He said that self and ku should be fighting the NCAA as admitting wrong doing doesn't help anyone.

He was totally downplaying the situation, said nobody cares except ku fans and rival fans and a few stunned silent members of the media.

Wish those fools would have been stunned silent by our situation. Except this is different, we didn't get an noa, we got drive-byed. Guess as a member of the media you have to stick up for the shooter.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I always thought Bilas was a good guy. I'll never make that mistake again
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Yea nobody wanted to talk about Kansas now or then, but I'll still take the facts as facts coming out with Kansas. This could've been so much worse if a coordinated cover up could've been pulled off. We see it all the times in freakin' politics.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Pretty damning. Good read. https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-bill-se ... 55766.html" target="_blank
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Is enfuego ok?

Oh wait...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

But Miller is the bad apple.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

azgreg wrote:
Maybe ku is trying the UNC defense.

Snoop dog shoots money at all the students so it's not just a benefit for the student athletes.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Maybe ku is trying the UNC defense.

Snoop dog shoots money at all the students so it's not just a benefit for the student athletes.
KU provides exemplary evidence of "lack of institutional control", then AD gives weak-ass "apology"
Kansas apologizes after Snoop Dogg's show at 'Late Night in the Phog'

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long issued an apology Friday night following a performance at Allen Fieldhouse by hip-hop artist Snoop Dogg that included pole dancers, a money gun and profanity.

Snoop performed at the end of the athletic department's "Late Night in the Phog" preseason celebration following scrimmages by the men's and women's basketball teams.

"We apologize for the Snoop Dogg performance at Late Night," Long said in a statement. "We made it clear to the entertainers' managers that we expected a clean version of the show and took additional steps to communicate to our fans, including moving the artist to the final act of the evening, to ensure that no basketball activities would be missed if anyone did not want to stay for his show. I take full responsibility for not thoroughly vetting all the details of the performance and offer my personal apology to those who were offended. We strive to create a family atmosphere at Kansas and fell short of that this evening."

Snoop, wearing a blue No. 20 Kansas jersey, played for about 35 minutes in front of a raucous crowd that included the basketball teams. At one point, he shot a money gun full of fake $100 bills featuring his face over the team bench areas. The rapper met with the players in the locker room before the show.

Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self missed the majority of the performance after returning to the locker room, but he said he was caught off guard by some of its content after being told it would be "radio edited."

"That's not the direction that anybody at our school would want that to go at all," Self said. "Regardless of the entertainment that it provided many, it was still not the right way to provide the entertainment."

The performance comes as Self's program faces five NCAA Level I violations this week, including a lack of institutional control charge and a violation of coaching responsibilities standard.

The NCAA is scrutinizing the school's relationship with Adidas; Kansas recently signed a 14-year, $196 million extension with the apparel company.
As if the video To promote Snoop Dogg's performance with Self wearing a shirt with a large "Adidas Basketball" logo and a chain with a "$" sign didn't perfectly foreshadow what the show would be.

FUCK KU (an institution I used to truly respect)!!
Last edited by pc in NM on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Clean Snoop Dogg Show is an oxymoron.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m sure Bilas and Vitale will be calling for Self’s firing at any moment now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I don't see how anyone can interpret this as anything other than a big FUCK YOU to the NCAA...

It's not even remotely anything else...the message this sends to places that have been playing by the rules is incredible, "You're a bunch of punks and we don't give a shit about the rules"...

I seriously hope the NCAA kicks them into the next century...if this doesn't end KU basketball for 10 years whats the point of playing by the rules?

Frankly I HATE KU and Self for this...its arrogance and someone should be fired.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Never likes KU or KU basketball.

This just put them above Duke BB in my book. Fuck them.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I hate Kansas, but I probably hate the NCAA more and the complete sham that is amateur athletics. It obviously was a big fuck you to the NCAA, so good on them.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

To no one's surprise, the big sports "media" that has been ready to throw Arizona under the bus from day 1 has nothing negative to say about this stunt.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looked to me like they were trying to set a new standard in recruiting. Bring the strippers to the kids since you can’t take the kids to the strippers
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

scumdevils86 wrote:I hate Kansas, but I probably hate the NCAA more and the complete sham that is amateur athletics. It obviously was a big fuck you to the NCAA, so good on them.
While I agree the NCAA is basically worthless, it is still the regulating authority that UofA submits to...this is basically telling Sean Miller "hey Sean, sorry you played by the rules you should have cheated so fuck you for LEGITIMATELY taking Ayton away from us, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! See what we can do? Yeah Fuck ALL you schools who follow the rules"

Try to remember that schools actually vote on a lot of the issues, the NCAA is essentially the representative body of different conferences and universities...it is our Collegiate House and Senate...we are part of the NCAA if we don't like it we can leave but you don't get to be a part of it and thumb your nose at the rules.

If Self wanted to send a message to the NCAA he could have just had KU LEAVE the NCAA...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can’t stand the media’s hypocrisy about this, but I also fully applaud Kansas for it. Props. Well played.

Just because enfuego is an ass, it doesn’t mean Kansas isn’t our brethren right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Kansas City Star Editorial Board comes down hard on KU!

With NCAA looming, KU brings in Snoop Dogg, money guns. Who thought that was a good idea?

By The Kansas City Star Editorial Board

October 06, 2019 05:00 AM, Updated 7 hours 2 minutes ago

The Kansas basketball program went looking for trouble this weekend with an ill-conceived, raunchy, NCAA-be-damned Snoop Dogg performance to kick off the season at Allen FIeldhouse.

Facing NCAA allegations of multiple major violations and a lack of institutional control, KU Athletics officials somehow saw fit to green-light a mini-concert during Late Night in the Phog that featured profanity, pole dancers and money guns. After all, when you’re charged with serious recruiting violations, why not shoot fake $100 bills at the KU bench?

Coach Bill Self’s hasty retreat to the locker room during the show — he said he “wasn’t feeling well” — effectively summed up the state of Kansas basketball.

KU athletic director Jeff Long admitted staffers didn’t properly vet Snoop Dogg’s performance before the rapper and his not-so-family-friendly pole dancers took the court Friday night. But pleading ill-preparedness and ignorance is no excuse.
The preseason spectacle would have been a bad look for any college basketball program. But with the specter of serious NCAA punishments looming, KU can’t afford to make light of pay-to-play allegations.

After the money guns came out Friday, Self could only hang his head before leaving the court.

“I didn’t know that there was going to be anything like that,” he said of Snoop Dogg’s show.

But what did Self and KU officials expect? Snoop is a well-known gangster rapper with a strong affinity for marijuana. No one would confuse him with a fun-for-the-whole-family entertainer.

Sure, Snoop has a cooking show with Martha Stewart, who went to prison for insider trading, by the way. And by all accounts, the rapper, whose real name is Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr,. is a doting father and husband.

But on stage, Snoop Dogg is anything but a PG-13 performer.

KU Athletics officials should have anticipated the risks. While Self later hinted at his dismay, Long issued an apology and wisely took responsibility for the widely panned performance. But that did little to quell the criticism or to answer the question on everyone’s mind: Who thought this was a good idea?

“We apologize to anyone who was offended by the Snoop Dogg performance at Late Night,” Long wrote in a statement. “We made it clear to the entertainer’s manager that we expected a clean version of the show and took additional steps to communicate to our fans, including moving the artist to the final act of the evening, to ensure that no basketball activities would be missed if anyone did not want to stay for his show.

“I take full responsibility for not thoroughly vetting all details of the performance and offer my personal apology to those who were offended. We strive to create a family atmosphere at Kansas and fell short of that this evening.”

These unforced errors played out at a moment when KU’s athletic department has essentially declared war on the NCAA’S enforcement division.

Shortly after KU received notice of allegations detailing violations tied to the recruitment of Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa, Self went on the offensive, accusing the NCAA of creating a “false narrative” based on “innuendo, half-truths, misimpressions and mischaracterizations.”

Of course, KU is entitled to mount an aggressive defense in response to the NCAA’s allegations. This process is likely to play out over several months, and it’s too early to draw definitive conclusions.

But at a time when KU can’t afford a single misstep, we’ve seen poor judgment aplenty.

A week before Late Night in the Phog, the school released a video featuring Self donning Adidas gear and a gaudy (“phat” in hip-hop parlance) gold chain adorned with a “$” sign.

It was aimed at promoting Snoop Dogg’s appearance. But KU’s lousy timing — the video dropped the same week the school received notice of the NCAA allegations — spurred speculation about whether Self was thumbing his nose at the oversight organization.

Both the video and the Snoop Dogg performance raise questions about whether Kansas officials are just making bad decisions or are not actually taking these charges of major violations seriously.

Neither scenario is reassuring for backers of this storied program. And while there is still more to learn about the NCAA’s allegationsThe preseason spectacle would have been a bad look for any college basketball program. But with the specter of serious NCAA punishments looming, KU can’t afford to make light of pay-to-play allegations.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... rylink=cpy" target="_blank

― Kinky Friedman
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I'd love it if Kansas won it all this year and they have the team to do it. I can't stand the NCAA and it's incompetence. What a huge middle finger it would be to the NCAA. It's just so annoying that the media schlubs keep attacking us and pretend not to notice what Kansas and so many other programs are doing. Who did Miller piss off? I just can't figure out why Arizona seems to be the sacrificial lamb in all of this. It's just making my blood boil.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would love it if Arizona won it all this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I would love it if Arizona won it all this year.
Now THAT’S the spirit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea, captain obvious missed the, well the obvious
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Such an odd thing for an Arizona fan to say.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Kansas can of o for as far as I'm concerned.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Next time I pass through Kansas, I’ma raid the nearest vending machine just for old time’s sake.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

So it was you that did that? This exonerates Luke Walton who denied any wrong doing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I still steal any bagel that isn't tied down.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:I can’t stand the media’s hypocrisy about this, but I also fully applaud Kansas for it. Props. Well played.

Just because enfuego is an ass, it doesn’t mean Kansas isn’t our brethren right now.
Kansas isn't masterminding some massive troll job on the NCAA - they had the video shot and the event planned well before the NOA was handed over (video dropped the same week as the NOA... must have been shot at least a couple weeks before; Snoop booked months ago).

This is how KU planned to market their team for the season and KU just kept on with this plan despite their NOA. That's not a planned middle finger, they're just so stupid and arrogant that instead of changing course they bought their own "nothing wrong here" spin. KU basketball clearly lacks the self awareness or introspection needed to assess "is this a good idea" and KU athletics clearly lacks the control over the basketball program to provide direction or oversight.

For all the "NCAA never takes down blue bloods / cash cows" takes - consider that Louisville lost a banner and caught a ban (with more coming), and they're double the revenue generator of Kansas. Or hey - look to football, where USC lost seasons of wins and trophies despite being a blue blood and the hottest ticket in sports... anyone recall their strategy for fighting the NCAA? It looked a lot like what KU is doing now.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I can’t stand the media’s hypocrisy about this, but I also fully applaud Kansas for it. Props. Well played.

Kansas isn't masterminding some massive troll job on the NCAA - they had the video shot and the event planned well before the NOA was handed over (video dropped the same week as the NOA... must have been shot at least a couple weeks before; Snoop booked months ago).

This is how KU planned to market their team for the season and KU just kept on with this plan despite their NOA. That's not a planned middle finger, they're just so stupid and arrogant that instead of changing course they bought their own "nothing wrong here" spin. KU basketball clearly lacks the self awareness or introspection needed to assess "is this a good idea" and KU athletics clearly lacks the control over the basketball program to provide direction or oversight.

For all the "NCAA never takes down blue bloods / cash cows" takes - consider that Louisville lost a banner and caught a ban (with more coming), and they're double the revenue generator of Kansas. Or hey - look to football, where USC lost seasons of wins and trophies despite being a blue blood and the hottest ticket in sports... anyone recall their strategy for fighting the NCAA? It looked a lot like what KU is doing now.
It's the "rule of law" vs. "the Rule of power"...

... imperfect as it all might be, including the flaws of the regulatory institution (NCAA), I support the rule of Law.

― Kinky Friedman
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This is basically a PR piece for Kansas, printed as sports reporting by the AP.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 928881002/" target="_blank

Allowing Bill Self to frame this as "a fight" rather than "Bill Self and Kansas are cheaters who are being punished" is some lazy bullshit.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

YoDeFoe wrote:This is basically a PR piece for Kansas, printed as sports reporting by the AP.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 928881002/" target="_blank

Allowing Bill Self to frame this as "a fight" rather than "Bill Self and Kansas are cheaters who are being punished" is some lazy bullshit.

^^^This^^^

I am amazed at how media is all over the map now regarding truth...sports guys are some of the WORST...apparently truth does not "scale" once you get a certain sized audience truth becomes an appendage that may or may not be needed...

Tell.The.Damn.Truth.

How hard is that?

Bill Self cheated, there are records of it...to frame this as anything else is dishonest.

I am so fucking tired of people with resource thumbing their noses at the rules and basically saying "What the fuck you gonna do about it?"...and when the consequences start to show up they then claim they are victims...

Fuck him...Fuck Bill Self right up there with Larry Scott...other coaches with less resources have followed the rules including Sean Miller.

Fuck the cheaters.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Just so we keep this in mind here is a copy of the allegations. https://publicaffairs.ku.edu/sites/publ ... o%20KU.pdf" target="_blank
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Can we just cheer for a random meteor strike in Madison Square Garden? Idle thoughts.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Can we just cheer for a random meteor strike in Madison Square Garden? Idle thoughts.
lmmfao - im in

Kansas is huge up front tho, watching a bit it’s noticeable for sure.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Can we just cheer for a random meteor strike in Madison Square Garden? Idle thoughts.
Before the Spartans get there.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Duke tried to lose that game but the Fighting Ass Chaps just wouldn’t let them...
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Ku has 27 turnovers...go ahead and picture CSM on the sidelines if the Cats had 27 turnovers ... That poor advertising marquee would be out of.commission
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:Ku has 27 turnovers...go ahead and picture CSM on the sidelines if the Cats had 27 turnovers ... That poor advertising marquee would be out of.commission
R.I.P. the white button down he would have sweated through in abject rage.