Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Katzenfreund

Ivan Rabb

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I want Rabbi in Tucson.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Love it when Arizona isn't even the focal point of the article yet is mentioned in the comment section over and over again. It feels good to be a Wildcat. 8-)
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Rabb wants to play with and against the best, he'll be a West Coast Wildcat.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Anyone got Premium? ESPN Premium, that is? There's a blurb up there about Miller zeroing in on Rabb.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

haha at OldBlue1999...I'm sure a fairly smart, hardworking stud NBA player from Oakland can swing it so he can take some classes at Cal after basketball if he so chooses.
TyAbbottGotOwned

Post by TyAbbottGotOwned »

Sean Miller all-in on top prospect Rabb
August, 5, 2014

Recruiting is a little bit like playing cards. You have to consider both your hand and your competition's before deciding how much you want to wager.

For high-profile college coaches, a scholarship offer is sometimes no more than a minimum wager to test the waters. Sean Miller is one head coach who tends to use his offers liberally, having extended 21 of them in the current 2015 class.

What’s undeniable is that once he decides he wants to go all-in, there aren’t many coaches who win more big hands. In fact, with Allonzo Trier becoming the latest ESPN 100 prospect to make an early commitment to Miller, you could argue that he has yet to miss on one of his top 2015 targets.

If the Wildcats get a commitment from Ivan Rabb, they might end up with the best class in the country.The Arizona Wildcats hold additional verbal commitments from two other five-star prospects in Justin Simon and Ray Smith. They also held a commitment from Tyler Dorsey up until last June, and while the origin of that split is debatable, the bottom line for Arizona was that they thought they could get better, and they did. They never stopped recruiting Trier and Isaiah Briscoe, even after Dorsey committed, and so ultimately they had a good hand but chose to double down and ended up winning big.

Now, that’s not to say that Arizona has their pick of all the best prospects in the country. Not at all. Only that Miller plays his hands especially well, analyzing not only the talent of the player but also his ties to the situation and those of his competition before deciding how much time and resources he wants to invest.

Chase Jeter is the perfect example. The five-star big man from Las Vegas committed to Duke on Monday night. Sure, Arizona would have loved to have him. They offered, actively recruited him, and even made his final six. But make no mistake about it, they were never all-in. They knew they weren’t getting him long before he went on national TV and had prioritized another big man much earlier in the process -- namely Ivan Rabb.

Rabb was not only the top-ranked prospect in the ESPN 100 heading into the July evaluation period, he was also a product of the same AAU program, the Oakland Soldiers, that has supplied Arizona with arguably the biggest recent pipeline in all of college basketball recruiting in recent years with Nick Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Aaron Gordon, and Stanley Johnson among others.

Now, Rabb is the last remaining target left on Arizona’s big board and the exclamation point that could punctuate what could ultimately be the nation’s No. 1 ranked recruiting class.

Oakland Soldiers program director Mark Olivier doesn’t know where Rabb will ultimately decide to go to college. Rabb is currently in Dubai with Team USA's U17 team and hasn’t given indication of any favorites or time frames. In fact, Rabb’s high school coach at Bishop O’Dowd, Lou Richie, is far more involved in his recruitment. One thing Olivier does expect though is that Rabb will make his own decision.

“I look at Ivan and I don’t think he’s that type of kid in that he’s going to go there because somebody else went there,” Olivier said.

Nevertheless, it would be only natural for the player who first began wearing a Soldiers uniform when he was in the 7th grade to want to follow so many of the players that he grew up admiring, especially Johnson, who took Rabb under his wing during last year’s EYBL season.

MORE FROM RECRUITING NATION
View the ESPN 100 player rankings for the Class of 2015 here.
• 2016 ESPN 60
• 2017 ESPN 25
• Class rankings
• More from RecruitingNation
“It could be,” Olivier conceded, “but Stanley will also tell him to do what he thinks is right because that’s the way he was. He didn’t go there because Aaron was there. He went there because that’s what was best for him.”

Rabb will have no shortage of options in the coming months. He’s being pursued by a variety of programs including California, USC, UCLA, Georgetown, Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky -- which is making a hard push to get him on campus in October for their Big Blue Madness.

For Sean Miller, the bottom line is this: He’s won every hand he's played so far this year. He has the scoring guard, athletic combo-forward, and big point guard he wanted -- but they’ve all led up to this.

The stakes are high, he's all-in, going for broke, and across the table from the best recruiters the nation has to offer. The prize isn't just one celebrated prospect but perhaps the nation's best recruiting class ... or maybe even a new contender for the nation's top recruiter.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Cheers!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Before reading that I was going to say something snarky about it probably being a recap of what is posted on Arizona message boards, but that was a damn fine article.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Chicat wrote:Before reading that I was going to say something snarky about it probably being a recap of what is posted on Arizona message boards, but that was a damn fine article.
Agreed, and that is borderline shocking.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

21 offers for the 2015 class is one amazing stat. I don't think Lute ever went that high.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

When Miller goes all in, it's usually time to fold em.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rabb is going to wind up at a major program that can compete for titles. Cal has no shot. At this point, isn't basically AZ, UK, and UNC in the real running?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Thanks for the terrific article TAGO-----no, make that TyAbbottGotOwned-----a great handle. Yeah, thanks!

EOCT(everyothercatstaken)
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Have we ever had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class before?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

As long as we get the guys we want to get, does anyone really care what arbitrary number they put next to the class?

I mean, if we had pulled Shabazz instead of someone else into that class and it made us #1, would it have been worth it?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:As long as we get the guys we want to get, does anyone really care what arbitrary number they put next to the class?

I mean, if we had pulled Shabazz instead of someone else into that class and it made us #1, would it have been worth it?
Think of how awesome it would have been to see Shabazz in an Arizona uniform pouting because he didn't get to take the game winning shot . . . .
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:As long as we get the guys we want to get, does anyone really care what arbitrary number they put next to the class?

Think of how awesome it would have been to see Shabazz in an Arizona uniform pouting because he didn't get to take the game winning shot . . . .

Brings up a question of mine...did dad breed him to pout?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

No, I think people in their late 30s are just naturally grumpy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

No, I think people in their late 30s are just naturally grumpy.
Some people may tell you enough is enough about Shabazz and age jokes, but don't listen. There's always time for a Shabazz age joke, and I always laugh.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

let's see: Simon, Smith, Trier, Anderson, and possibly Rabb and Comanche?

LET some other team think they've got the #1 class. Wouldn't trade this group for any other. Go Cats!!

Miller is a recruiting beast!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

for the team itself? no. for arizona's exposure, hype and publicity nationwide (which will help further down the road with more recruiting), yes it does. if we actually go to the final 4 or beyond this year and then sign the #1 class going into 2015 with 3-4 top 20 guys and with the renovations mckale is getting...we might actually get paid attention to by the national media.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

AZCatGirl wrote:Have we ever had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class before?
The Ashley/Tarc/Grant/York class was ranked #1 for quite some time until the spring when Shabazz went with UCLA and KY moved up a spot. Didn't AZ end up at 3? Regardless, that AZ class continues to pay dividends.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:

for the team itself? no. for arizona's exposure, hype and publicity nationwide (which will help further down the road with more recruiting), yes it does. if we actually go to the final 4 or beyond this year and then sign the #1 class going into 2015 with 3-4 top 20 guys and with the renovations mckale is getting...we might actually get paid attention to by the national media.

This "no respect" card is getting old. We are paid attention to by the national media.

I know that some of you wanna always play the Dangerfield role, but with each passing day and each signing that happens, it frankly is tired. Arizona Basketball is a brand, and one that is on the national scene.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

midnightx wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:Have we ever had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class before?
The Ashley/Tarc/Grant/York class was ranked #1 for quite some time until the spring when Shabazz went with UCLA and KY moved up a spot. Didn't AZ end up at 3? Regardless, that AZ class continues to pay dividends.

2009 class was #13
2010 class was unranked (not top 25, bejarano, mayes and jesse perry)
2011 class was #4 (although nick johnson was the only one of the 4 that did anything)
2012 class was #3
2013 class was #4
2014 class is #4
2015 class will be #1

first 3 classes were a mixed back of kids that overachieved with talent, never did anything or even really played here and just solid mid level pac 12 role players. once miller started getting the train rolling and had "his guys" in place (2012, 2013 and beyond classes) we've really become good. 2014 and 15 classes will continue that.

for comparison, the 5 classes before miller were ranked:

2004 class was #15
2005 class was #14
2006 class was #25
2007 class was #5
2008 class was not in the top 30

averaged around #20 in the country with a lot of busts and early departures and transfers (jp prince, zane johnson, laval lucas-perry, alex jacobsen, jesus verdejo, mohamed tangara (not his fault), fendi onobun (not really his fault either), garland judkins...)
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

This "no respect" card is getting old. We are paid attention to by the national media.

I know that some of you wanna always play the Dangerfield role, but with each passing day and each signing that happens, it frankly is tired. Arizona Basketball is a brand, and one that is on the national scene.
it sort of is, but not really. it lags far behind unc, duke, kansas, kentucky, michigan state, florida, syracuse, michigan, louisville and a bunch of mid majors like gonzaga and vcu. all of those programs get more attention that arizona does.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Um...I disagree with your last two posts. Heavily.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think that article (and all of the others this offseason calling Miller the best recruiter not named Calipari) plus all the pub we got for being #1 for so long last year disproves the theory that we're getting snubbed by the national media.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hey, I wanna play the disrespect card as well, but every time I shuffle the deck I can only pull a card with Larry Scott on it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:Um...I disagree with your last two posts. Heavily.
agree to disagree. it's pretty easy to figure out that schools like kentucky and duke and kansas get more pub than arizona. doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
agree to disagree. it's pretty easy to figure out that schools like kentucky and duke and kansas get more pub than arizona. doesn't take a rocket scientist.

You narrowed that field to 2 pretty quickly...

Also your post on the classes over the years is littered with inaccuracy...

Back to Rabb...which this thread is about. He would likely make the class #1, and if that matters to someone--great!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
It hurts me to say this, but we haven't been to a final four in 13 years. Until that happens, we don't really have a no respect card to play. All the schools you mentioned have recent NC's.

When that changes, we have a more legit beef. Right now, all the makings of a consistently dominant program are there, but it isn't until the results match that we really have a right to demand that level of respect.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

It's seriously way too early to say a class of Rabb, Comanche, Trier, Simon, and Smith would even be the #1 class when there's a ridiculous amounts of highly rated players yet to make their decisions. Not that it would matter at all regardless anyways.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:It's seriously way too early to say a class of Rabb, Comanche, Trier, Simon, and Smith would even be the #1 class when there's a ridiculous amounts of highly rated players yet to make their decisions. Not that it would matter at all regardless anyways.
I think I last posted this theory on the old board, so here goes:

You need a baseline talent level. Once the baseline level is NC caliber, the rest isn't about how much extra talent you accumulate. Whether you deliver is based in team chemistry, coaching, matchups, luck and whether some ***hole from Cal breaks Brandon Ashley's foot. #1 vs #2 is irrelevant. You get that baseline, the rest is irrelevant.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

New Cal coach Martin just signed his first kid, a top 75 guy in the class of 16 I think. That kid is from the bay area. Have to wonder if Rabb will want spend a year in his home area and be featured.

If we get 5, 5 star kids who cares where we rank. Can't be lower then 3 probably. Besides that baseline level is very high( I like that analogy spaceman)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

You narrowed that field to 2 pretty quickly...

Also your post on the classes over the years is littered with inaccuracy...

Back to Rabb...which this thread is about. He would likely make the class #1, and if that matters to someone--great!
Exactly... What suddenly happened to UNC, Mich St, Florida, Syracuse, Michigan, Louisville, Gonzaga, & VCU?

Duke, KU, & UK get more pub than UA, and considering their recent success (in addition to being 3 of the 4 or 5 true "blue blood" program in CBB) - they deserve all the recent press they've gotten.

Recently we have gotten at least as much respect as the rest of that crew that suddenly disappeared... Save (maybe) Mich St & Louisville (which is debatable) - and that's not unreasonable (if it's even true).
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

UCLA gets flooded with attention. UNC never fails to make news.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

lol

Regarding the #1 recruiting class: all y'all who don't want it are nuts. I want that recruiting championship banner hanging in McKale bad!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

thenewazcats wrote:UCLA gets flooded with attention. UNC never fails to make news.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:New Cal coach Martin just signed his first kid, a top 75 guy in the class of 16 I think. That kid is from the bay area. Have to wonder if Rabb will want spend a year in his home area and be featured.

If we get 5, 5 star kids who cares where we rank. Can't be lower then 3 probably. Besides that baseline level is very high( I like that analogy spaceman)
For the record, I think Rabb is the difference between us having NC talent in 15-16 and not having it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

F*ck UNC
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Just had an incident the other day that made me realize how little respect we get compared to our competition. I saw that Duke signed Chase Jeter on MSN (the front portal), ESPN (front page) and one other site. Front page stuff.

We signed four players in the top 26 (ESPN), let one go because they weren't, frankly, good enough, and got very little mention other than the obligatory top 100 signing crawl on ESPNNEWS and inside the various sites' college basketball pages.

Chase Jeter? Yeah, he has climbed all the way up to #13 on ESPN's top 100 (anyone think his climb isn't partially based on who he was favoring?), but Trier, Smith, Simon, even Dorsey have been step for step with him in the rankings.

But DOOK!!!!! signs Chase Jeter, and MSN runs it on the cover.

It is what it is, to use an infuriating phrase. I am not saying I do not understand it, or think MSN or ESPN is doing something wrong. But it is very indicitive of the respect we get, vs Duke, in a national setting. And we are, and have been, every bit their equal or superior over the last news cycle unless we want to extend back to current player's grade school years.

No sense complaining about it...but it is very real. And it is straight up disrespect, or lack of respect/knowledge. And always will be. People in many states see Arizona, and automatically react with political revulsion (I do when I see South Carolina or Mississippi), or indifference. They know we are good. But they have no idea how good/how consistent/how loaded for the future. And they won't unless we hammer everyone for a couple of years straight.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Arizona Basketball has been in the news a lot this offseason. I'd be interested in a quantitative analysis, because I bet we're top 10, borderline top 5 in reach via media.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We need some more final 4s and titles if we want the kind of attention Duke gets.

A few years from now things should be a bit more even. Especially since we're nearing the end of the Coach K era.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

EVCat wrote:
Just had an incident the other day that made me realize how little respect we get compared to our competition. I saw that Duke signed Chase Jeter on MSN (the front portal), ESPN (front page) and one other site. Front page stuff.

We signed four players in the top 26 (ESPN), let one go because they weren't, frankly, good enough, and got very little mention other than the obligatory top 100 signing crawl on ESPNNEWS and inside the various sites' college basketball pages.

Chase Jeter? Yeah, he has climbed all the way up to #13 on ESPN's top 100 (anyone think his climb isn't partially based on who he was favoring?), but Trier, Smith, Simon, even Dorsey have been step for step with him in the rankings.

It is what it is, to use an infuriating phrase. I am not saying I do not understand it, or think MSN or ESPN is doing something wrong. But it is very indicitive of the respect we get, vs Duke, in a national setting. And we are, and have been, every bit their equal or superior over the last news cycle unless we want to extend back to current player's grade school years.

No sense complaining about it...but it is very real. And it is straight up disrespect, or lack of respect/knowledge. And always will be. People in many states see Arizona, and automatically react with political revulsion (I do when I see South Carolina or Mississippi), or indifference. They know we are good. But they have no idea how good/how consistent/how loaded for the future. And they won't unless we hammer everyone for a couple of years straight.
The Trier signing got play on every major sports website except for Sporting News, but they've had RHJ on their front CBB page for about a month it seems. Maybe your timing was off and you missed it?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... to-arizona

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... o-arizona/

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... a-wildcats

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/ ... blogs&_r=0

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... to-arizona
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

EVCat wrote:

I think you're confusing respect and media attention. OF COURSE Dook is going to get more media attention, that shit sells my man. If you think that's ever going to change you're crazy. If we win back to back titles Dook will still get more media attention because that's how it will always be.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

So I watched the 2nd half of the U-17 championship last night. My draw hit the floor when I saw rabb. Then I about passed out when I realized he is only 17! He made it blatantly obvious that he has been and will remain Millers top target.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

No doubt.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

AZCatGirl wrote:We need some more final 4s and titles if we want the kind of attention Duke gets.

A few years from now things should be a bit more even. Especially since we're nearing the end of the Coach K era.

This^
We need a few final fours and a championship....badlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. well...I do anyway :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I will be personally very happy with just one more title. Say Miller is here another 10 years. All I want is another 4-5 conference titles, 2, maybe 3 final fours and a title.