Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CalStateTempe »

Vegas had us 8 to 1 when I got my yearly ticket two weekends ago. Just behind Duke and UK.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

prh wrote:
gumby wrote:There is no answer that preserves both. So we choose sides. My view is if we keep going down the player-centered path, it will kill the golden goose. I know that each of these changes diminishes the appeal of college hoops for me.
I think the golden goose analogy is very apt, it's the exact same thing that happened with football and the EA Sports games. I hope all those players are happy they got $20 for their likenesses and killed it for 1) all the players who thought being in a game was cool and 2) everyone else who enjoyed playing the games.
This. Everyone lost except for O'Bannon et al's attorneys, and the fans got it the worst.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Someone ask him who is going to be eligible
That's BBALL related, right?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Main Event wrote:
Dope.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just an FYI, supposedly there are pics of Rawle in the hospital followed by Rawle in a boot and then the next day he is out of the boot. Just leading to more scrutiny about whether he is "that" guy?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

azcat49 wrote:Just an FYI, supposedly there are pics of Rawle in the hospital followed by Rawle in a boot and then the next day he is out of the boot. Just leading to more scrutiny about whether he is "that" guy?
Are there pictures of him in surgery and then no surgery required?

I dunno it seems like people will go to a lot of detail but this borders on area 51 type conspiracy...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah he definitely had surgery. The school doesn't put out fake press releases on their players to cover scandals.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The moon landings were faked, too.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:The moon landings were faked, too.
What? Seriously? Oh, goddamnit.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Puerco wrote:
Longhorned wrote:The moon landings were faked, too.
What? Seriously? Oh, goddamnit.
2 words: Capricorn One.

OJ was in on it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Stanley Kubrick directed.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

azcat49 wrote:Just an FYI, supposedly there are pics of Rawle in the hospital followed by Rawle in a boot and then the next day he is out of the boot. Just leading to more scrutiny about whether he is "that" guy?
Where is there pictures or talk that he was out of the boot? Last I saw and knew, he was in a walking boot as of earlier this week.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Dope.
Time?
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

HiCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Dope.
Time?
2:30 PM MST.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Statfreak77 wrote:
HiCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Dope.
Time?
2:30 PM MST.

Thanks for the info.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

missed the presser, waiting for a full vid
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Been working what was everyone's take away?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I missed it, waiting on the full vid. Assuming it was under 10 mins long

Guys on the radio we're saying he didnt look good. Needs a vacation :lol:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jefe wrote:missed the presser, waiting for a full vid
Here you go (36 mins)

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jefe wrote:I missed it, waiting on the full vid. Assuming it was under 10 mins long

Stress showing.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Jefe wrote:I missed it, waiting on the full vid. Assuming it was under 10 mins long

Yeah I was wondering if there is more grey hair...but considering that Book set the recruiting momentum back to "Kevin-Crusty-the-clown-coach-O'Neil" days I'm kinda surprised he didn't look more like a crack whore on Sunday morning...

"As everyone knows RECRUITING is the lifeblood of a basketball program-Sean-never-let-them-see-you-sweat-again-Miller""...

In other words a vampire would rather suck rat blood than take a shot at us until this fiasco blows over...
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

NYCat wrote:
Here you go (36 mins)

Get no audio on that, weird.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

threenumberones wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Here you go (36 mins)

Ah audio format issue. Can't use stereo. Just unplug your earphones if you are having the same issue.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

threenumberones wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Here you go (36 mins)

Ah audio format issue. Can't use stereo. Just unplug your earphones if you are having the same issue.
One thing I HATE about the UA pressers is the atrocious way the audio is done, mic's are disproportionate, like yesterday it was only the left channel (I looked at the stream)..its terrible.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier holds himself like an upperclassman, like a man. Great to see him wear his leadership.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

University of Arizona's statements suggest school will defend Sean Miller from potential NCAA investigation
Bruce Pascoe, tucson.com Published 8:34 p.m. MT Oct. 9, 2017

Months, or even years, might pass before the FBI's investigation into college basketball translates into potential NCAA violations.

But Arizona has already begun stating its case.

The claims last week by Arizona coach Sean Miller, athletic director Dave Heeke and president Robert Robbins that Miller has acknowledged his responsibility to foster compliance — and statements by Miller and Heeke that the UA coach has long been doing so — demonstrate the university is prepared to defend Miller under an NCAA rule that can penalize head coaches even if they aren't aware of violations involving their programs.

Miller was not implicated in the federal complaint that resulted in the Sept. 26 arrest of UA assistant coach Book Richardson and nine other college basketball figures, but NCAA Bylaw 11.1.1.1. states that head coaches are responsible for the actions of their direct or indirect reports unless they can "rebut the presumption of responsibility."

That rebuttal possibility, which is not mentioned in the NCAA manual but is in a supplemental guide for head coaches, can take head coaches off the hook.

FBI investigation: University of Arizona to conduct probe

Instituted in 2013, Bylaw 11.1.1.1 essentially eliminates plausible deniability and puts head coaches under a guilty-until-proven-innocent standard. In order to rebut the presumption of responsibility, head coaches must prove they have fostered an atmosphere of compliance and have actively monitored their direct and indirect reports.

They’re making sure the coaches are engaged, so they can’t turn a blind eye to it,” said Christian Dennie, a Texas-based attorney who specializes in working with schools on NCAA issues. “If they can make sure the coach is doing the right thing, they’ll probably be OK.”

So even if the NCAA finds Richardson was guilty of taking $20,000 in bribes as alleged in the federal complaint, Arizona and Miller might not be punished if the school can prove Richardson acted on his own and repeatedly misled Miller when asked repeatedly about compliance. (There are, of course, other allegations Arizona could face as a result of the complaint.)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 748816001/" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks HiCat. Hard to imagine the university doesn’t already have a convincing set of diachronic documents that demonstrates Miller’s pattern of compliance guidance. Otherwise we wouldn’t see this stance.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

HiCat wrote:University of Arizona's statements suggest school will defend Sean Miller from potential NCAA investigation

Months, or even years, might pass before the FBI's investigation into college basketball translates into potential NCAA violations.

The claims last week by Arizona coach Sean Miller, athletic director Dave Heeke and president Robert Robbins that Miller has acknowledged his responsibility to foster compliance — and statements by Miller and Heeke that the UA coach has long been doing so — demonstrate the university is prepared to defend Miller under an NCAA rule that can penalize head coaches even if they aren't aware of violations involving their programs.

Miller was not implicated in the federal complaint that resulted in the Sept. 26 arrest of UA assistant coach Book Richardson and nine other college basketball figures, but NCAA Bylaw 11.1.1.1. states that head coaches are responsible for the actions of their direct or indirect reports unless they can "rebut the presumption of responsibility."

That rebuttal possibility, which is not mentioned in the NCAA manual but is in a supplemental guide for head coaches, can take head coaches off the hook.

Instituted in 2013, Bylaw 11.1.1.1 essentially eliminates plausible deniability and puts head coaches under a guilty-until-proven-innocent standard. In order to rebut the presumption of responsibility, head coaches must prove they have fostered an atmosphere of compliance and have actively monitored their direct and indirect reports.

They’re making sure the coaches are engaged, so they can’t turn a blind eye to it,” said Christian Dennie, a Texas-based attorney who specializes in working with schools on NCAA issues. “If they can make sure the coach is doing the right thing, they’ll probably be OK.”

So even if the NCAA finds Richardson was guilty of taking $20,000 in bribes as alleged in the federal complaint, Arizona and Miller might not be punished if the school can prove Richardson acted on his own and repeatedly misled Miller when asked repeatedly about compliance. (There are, of course, other allegations Arizona could face as a result of the complaint.)

Can't see how there might be an email chain where Miller might find the exculpatory nugget.

Book: "I think I got Quinerly on the hook. You want him, right?"

Miller: "Make sure you are doing this right."

Besides, ALL emails will be subpoenaed. There will be no cherry picking. I could just as easily imagine Miller saying:

"Whatever it takes."

Indeed, Miller could say the above and have no coded agenda in his statement whatsoever. Just go back to our own missives and reread them knowing now the FBI is now looking for bad intent.

Regardless, "Arizona and Miller might be punished........" Ya think? How the NCAA can do otherwise, i.e. not punish, I can't see. Indeed, given NCAA's ongoing feckless record, they will be practically forced to punish the 6 schools involved this go around-- just to for their own heads.

The overhang with the NCAA has started; it's a mini death penalty in itself unless the school addresses it.

I am hoping an impartial university report helps the school expedite this matter no matter what the recommendation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hank of sb wrote:
HiCat wrote:University of Arizona's statements suggest school will defend Sean Miller from potential NCAA investigation

Can't see how there might be an email chain where Miller might find the exculpatory nugget.

Besides, ALL emails will be subpoenaed. There will be no cherry picking. I could just as easily imagine Miller saying:

"Whatever it takes."

Indeed, Miller could say the above and have no coded agenda in his statement whatsoever. Just go back to our own missives and reread them knowing now the FBI is now looking for bad intent.

Regardless, "Arizona and Miller might be punished........" Ya think? How the NCAA can do otherwise, i.e. not punish, I can't see. Indeed, given NCAA's ongoing feckless record, they will be practically forced to punish the 6 schools involved this go around-- just to for their own heads.

The overhang with the NCAA has started; it's a mini death penalty in itself unless the school addresses it.

I am hoping an impartial university report helps the school expedite this matter no matter what the recommendation.
I think you're conflating the difference between proving the negative and the actual exculpatory evidence in this case. The truly exculpatory thing is not Miller being aware of Book's potential actions and discouraging him. It's a lack of knowledge.

By its nature, that will not leave a trail of proof, but a trail of the absence of the same.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think you're conflating the difference between proving the negative and the actual exculpatory evidence in this case. The truly exculpatory thing is not Miller being aware of Book's potential actions and discouraging him. It's a lack of knowledge.

By its nature, that will not leave a trail of proof, but a trail of the absence of the same.
You are right.

Let's say all that is known now is all that will ever be known--the investigation is now over, we just don't know it.

That leaves the matter at hand: Book.

As there will be a consensus to do so, the NCAA will (most likely) come down on this.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Hank of sb wrote:
(There are, of course, other allegations Arizona could face as a result of the complaint.)

Like fucking what?

You sound disappointed

Email could just as easily say "Hey Book, your monthly financial statement that I have required is showing some odd activity that is inconsistent with the standards we agreed upon after the leaking info issue, please plan on meeting with me after red.blue game and explaining yourself"...my imaginary position is actually more feasible than yours.

"Whatever it takes."

They hired an OUTSIDE legal firm I'm sure your hopes will be realised...but down that road the general tone of what you think seems to contradict with what you hope, you are a person divided within himself...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hank of sb wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You are right.

Let's say all that is known now is all that will ever be known--the investigation is now over, we just don't know it.

As there will be a consensus to do so, the NCAA will (most likely) come down on this.
I agree we will likely be punished for Book's actions even without an implication of anyone else. If that is the case, I think there will be sanctions, but not severe. What Book is accused of, without more, is something that does not directly invoke the major concerns that trigger the NCAA dropping the heavy hammer.

Now, if the NCAA goes further and says Book did what he did because Arizona did not emphasize a climate of compliance, then things get harsher. This is the muddy middle ground. The climate arguments are always more fungible.

The final possibility is direct involvement of others. This is where we'd get a bigger hammer. This is obviously early, but I don't think things are heading this route, given Arizona's public rhetoric so far.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
(There are, of course, other allegations Arizona could face as a result of the complaint.)

Like fucking what?

You would do better by addressing this question to the person that originally wrote it.

I was responding on the likelihood of NCAA moving forward just on what we have now.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You are right.

I agree we will likely be punished for Book's actions even without an implication of anyone else. If that is the case, I think there will be sanctions, but not severe. What Book is accused of, without more, is something that does not directly invoke the major concerns that trigger the NCAA dropping the heavy hammer.

Now, if the NCAA goes further and says Book did what he did because Arizona did not emphasize a climate of compliance, then things get harsher. This is the muddy middle ground. The climate arguments are always more fungible.

The final possibility is direct involvement of others. This is where we'd get a bigger hammer. This is obviously early, but I don't think things are heading this route, given Arizona's public rhetoric so far.
Yes. Best case this is a wrap. Right now.

But "best case" still sees some form of sanctioning coming.

We still need to find agreement on how to mitigate the damages of time. The NCAA could care less about time....and all its effects.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Vegas tourney this week? Or just a hub for another destination? Bol Bol?

Both of them going must mean its a big time recruit
Vegas tourneys aren't until July.

I honestly don't know of any big recruits currently in Vegas or at least any that we're currently on.

Maybe they're getting on a connected flight out of LV or maybe they found Ajay Thakore's "dead body" and really felt the urge to take a piss on it?

Having a burger with the Maryland AD?

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I don't get it...?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote:I don't get it...?

Allegedly, Kevin Anderson ate a cheeseburger in the hotel room when he was interviewing Sean Miller for the Maryland job.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

YoDeFoe wrote:I don't get it...?

AGAIN!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Who are the reporters he can't stand again? Its always the guy to Millers far left

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jefe wrote:Who are the reporters he can't stand again? Its always the guy to Millers far left

Thanks for posting the presser. Always good to hear Miller's updates.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller, Deandre Ayton, Emmanuel Akot discuss win vs. Eastern New Mexico

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... highlights" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lorenzo Romar not expected to change Arizona’s tempo
10 comments

Sean Miller won’t budge on his defensive principles, thus it’s unlikely Arizona’s pace will increase

Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Nov 3, 2017, 12:04pm PDT

When Lorenzo Romar was hired by Sean Miller and the Arizona Wildcats this offseason, some believed a stylistic change, even just a slight alteration, would be coming to Arizona basketball.

After all, Romar and Miller have largely differing coaching philosophies, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

In their best years under Romar, the Washington Huskies used a relentless, aggressive man-to-man defense that prided itself on forcing quick, tough shots and ideally an ample amount of turnovers, which then fueled UW’s traditionally uptempo offense.

On the other hand, Miller’s teams deploy the “pack-line” man-to-man defense, a conservative scheme that packs the paint and forces opposing teams to execute in the halfcourt to generate quality shots.

The Wildcats have been effective on defense under Miller to be sure, but the pack-line defense results in UA playing at one of the slowest paces in college basketball year in and year out, since they don’t force a ton of turnovers and opponents often burn the shot clock to find quality looks.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... head-coach" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Post game Chico State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJb_41JK_Y" target="_blank

Trier and Deandre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8CBPTlWpY" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Someone tell Coach we play Sunday not Monday
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Jefe wrote:Someone tell Coach we play Sunday not Monday
To his credit, he did mention the "play 2 games in 3 days" so he was sort of, kind of right.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Someone tell Coach we play Sunday not Monday
I'm confident we won't forfeit by showing on the wrong day. Although that would be interesting.